Cornscala II

BEC

Bob.

I have always wondered why your port doesn't have the side supports like the Cornwall. I noticed in the other recent Cornscala thread that they didn't include it either. I was assuming that the port side supports were needed to prevent port resonance. I really don't know the answer.

Here is the port side support on a Cornwall:

Good pick up JC, that may be the culprit.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it is the Pyle Pro PH2380P. The Atlas drivers do just screw right on. I don't really know what the horn type would be called. Pyle just calls it a "Radiation" horn. They have other horns they call "Constant Radiation" horns.

Bob Crites

Ok, fixed that nasty resonance. It was a screw not tightened good enough on the bottom of the Pyle horn. I tightened the heck out of all the screws around that horn and the resonance is gone. Makes me think I may need to go back and remove it and seal around it to give something to really bite into when tightening it up. By the way, that resonance reared its ugly head at near 100 watts into the beast. It was not a cabinet resonance as such. It was the plastic to wood junction at the horn.

Thanks to Neil Diamond and his song "Soolaimon" for pointing that one out to me. Then I need to thank my signal generator for allowing me to duplicate it and track the problem down.

Now back to listening.

Bob Crites

One more change I made along the way. I rolled off the woofer at 450 hz or so. Not a big change here and took me a while to decide to leave it in. Just a 100 uF cap across the woofer is all that is involved. I have been through a good portion of my test listening music and I think I am done with any more changes to the Cornscala II at least until I build the second one and hear them both together.

Ah. So Bob. You finally tried the 100uF cap "trash can" for the woofer filter. I guess you are still using the 2.5mH inductor. Please tell me the improvement with this. 7uf mid cap and 4 uF tweeter cap, .5mH bandpass inductor...Is all this right?

I am so confused on what PWK did with his low pass filters basically making a low pass filter for the Khorn AK-3 a 4.0 inductor with a 100uF cap and wondered where that would get you with a 2.5 inductor with a 100uF cap? Assuming the crossing would be somewhere between 400-450Hz. I definately was dissapointed when I RTAed your CW1526 with a first order 2.5mH inductor and could "see" and hear sounds coming from it over 10000Hz. This seems like a waste of "energy" to me.

Did you calculate the bandpass inductor value based on 16 ohms since the inductor is AFTER the autotranformer? So you can use this value on a type A or type B since it's after the autoformer?

So in summary...let me see...2nd order lowpass filter, first order mid, first order tweeter, first order bandpass. Is that right? Would you have to reverse the mid polarity?

Sorry for all the questions

jc

One more change I made along the way. I rolled off the woofer at 450 hz or so. Not a big change here and took me a while to decide to leave it in. Just a 100 uF cap across the woofer is all that is involved. I have been through a good portion of my test listening music and I think I am done with any more changes to the Cornscala II at least until I build the second one and hear them both together.

So Bob, what's your thoughts on that 450Hz roll off? Any pics of the network with that 100uF cap on there? If you remember, I asked you about this very mod a few days ago when I made the 400Hz squawker mod to mine.

Charles

Here is the schematic of the crossover I am using now. I debated with myself on the woofer roll off cap and decided to leave it in. The difference in the sound is pretty subtile. Remember I am listening to this thing along with a bone stock 1972 vertical Cornwall with rebuilt Type B network. So, in deciding on the woofer roll off am trying to compare how the two do the upper area of bass and decided that I like the woofer roll off better. It is a close call though and hard to find music that demonstrates that.

Right now I have only found one singer that has a voice that in in the area we are discussing here. J. D. Sumner. The choice becomes, do we want to hear more of his voice from the woofer or from the squawker? By a small margin, I prefer biasing his voice to the squawker. That is what the woofer roll of cap does.

post-9312-13819295501956_thumb.jpg

So what are you using, two 50uF caps in parallel? The largest I can find by "Google"'ing is 60uF.

Actually I used a 68 uF and a 33 uF in parallel. Comes out close enough.

Bob Crites

I have looked via Search and did not find a conclusive answer...is there an American distributor for the Solen Hepta Litz inductors? I don't like the idea that Ihave to give my SSN to complete the transaction, and yes, that what it says on their website.

thanks!

Mr. Crites,

You spent some time with your original driver test box with the K-401 horn. Any thoughts at this point on how the Peavey stacks up to the K-400/401? I know it has to be better than the stock Cornwall horn, but what about the big horn? If this has already been covered, I apologize.

Mr. Crites,

You spent some time with your original driver test box with the K-401 horn. Any thoughts at this point on how the Peavey stacks up to the K-400/401? I know it has to be better than the stock Cornwall horn, but what about the big horn? If this has already been covered, I apologize.

I was told their sound is similar. BTW, it's a Pyle Pro horn, not Peavey. [;)]

No, I have a 100 uF cap from another project that I will try...it is just an ugly composite of several caps but at least it's neatly soldered to a PC board.

I'm looking for 500 uH Hepta Litz inductor. I have a foil inductor of the same value, but I'd rather try the litz after looking at the Q diagrams posted here not long ago.

Dean,

The Pyle and the K-400 have almost the same output at 400 hz in testing with a PD-5VH. That is why I say the Pyle seems to go down to 400 hz pretty well.

And for the other question, I have done a lot of listening comparisons with the Pyle and the K-400. I think they sound about the same. I have also had some forum members over for those listening comparisons. Daddydee, Tony Reed and IBslammin have heard the horns work out. I think all of them liked what they heard in that couple of sessions.

I am still working through a bunch of music with the Cornscala II to hear a bunch of different types of music on it.

Bob Crites