Cornscala II

BEC

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Elton John is currently rocking the old shop with Philadelphia Freedom on one Vert. Cornwall and one Cornscala II.

No Klipsch speakers were harmed in production of this speaker.

Bob Crites

Please describe the sound differences?

The Cornscala II sounds like the Cornscala I. Sadly, the Cornwall sounds like a Cornwall. It needs a better midrange horn and a better tweeter.

Bob

Wise guy! So you feel this mid-horn setup is comparable to the 400? Is there anything that it doesn't do as well or anything it does better? If so - how would you describe these differences.

And - would a split version of this not work at all due to 'cabin' volume issues? Be kind, a split version (if it's truely all it's cracked up to be) would be my dream center.

Meagain,

I am not good at the use of audio terms. I have some specific recordings to check out a midrange and the new horn passes with flying colors. The best demo that could be given I think is to listen to this set-up I have right now with a Cornwall and the Cornscala II playing together. I have always thought that the midrange horn in the Cornwall is just too small. I think that most who have tried a larger horn have agreed that the larger horn, K-400, 511B or others sound better with the rest of the Cornwall drivers. This Pyle Pro horn just happens to be one that will actually fit inside a Cornwall size cabinet.

Splitting it would be fine, but the woofer has to be in an enclosure of approximately the volume of this cabinet. The midrange and tweeter can be in a cabinet or just on a baffle board. That would be like the first Cornscala I built.

Bob Crites

Chris,

Yes, I did the whole submerge in water trick to calculate all the volumes. Turned out that to have the same internal free volume that the original Cornwall I used for a model has, the depth of the cabinet had to increase by 1/4 inch.

Bob Crites

Mark,

I haven't added any damping material yet. I am not certain how much difference that makes. On the original Cornscalas I built, I completely lined the inside of one bass bin on one of them and left the other bare. I have never been able to tell by listening which one has the damping in it.

Bob Crites

What is that mid-horn lens?

Since it's no longer a K-400, then it's no longer a Cornscala, right?

But the lens is much bigger than a Cornwall as well I suppose...

That would make a sweet center! Please make a "vertical" model for horizontal mounting, and easy shipping terms to Canada! [;-)]

Bob.

I have always wondered why your port doesn't have the side supports like the Cornwall. I noticed in the other recent Cornscala thread that they didn't include it either. I was assuming that the port side supports were needed to prevent port resonance. I really don't know the answer.

Here is the port side support on a Cornwall:

post-16499-13819295492662_thumb.jpg