Cornscala II

BEC

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Early results: adding a second CornScala II makes a sound remarkably like stereo.

Pictures forthcoming

Bro. Mike

Ah, little BroMike trying out the old wry wit.

Pictures!! We don't need no more stinkin' pictures. Refer back to page one of this dissertation. Serial number 2 is like serial number 1.

Now to try out some quality music. Let's go with Harry Nillson's "Lime in the Coconut".

Bob Crites

Charles,

That was an old Mitusbishi amp that claimed (by its meters to be at least 100 WPC. Gave $5.00 for it at a flea market. I am doing some torture testing on these speakers to see if anything gives up. Turned out it was the amp. The thing sounded real good all the way up to when it quit.

Now I have hooked up an old Quadraflex Reference 180 receiver. Came from the same flea market. Don't think this one has enough power. You know what they say, "It's the first clean 100 watts that matter", or something like that.

Bob Crites

meagain,

I can't say about Chorus II but, in my opinion, the Chorus I sounds much like the Cornwall I. It gives up some bass to have a smaller cabinet just as physics would dictate. The Chorus II gets back a bit of bass extension by using a passive radiator instead of ports.

As far as building a ChorusScala, not sure about how to do it. The woofer is not the same in a Chorus as in a Cornwall and I don't know where you would even get one for it. Klipsch could still have some I guess, but not sure about that.

Bob Crites

Charles, That was an old Mitusbishi amp that claimed (by its meters to be at least 100 WPC. Gave $5.00 for it at a flea market. I am doing some torture testing on these speakers to see if anything gives up. Turned out it was the amp. The thing sounded real good all the way up to when it quit. Now I have hooked up an old Quadraflex Reference 180 receiver. Came from the same flea market. Don't think this one has enough power. You know what they say, "It's the first clean 100 watts that matter", or something like that. Bob Crites

.........You know what they say, "It's the first clean 100 watts that matter", or something like that.........

Well, I must admit you got me on the floor with that one. And I can see that Michael does not fall far from the tree.

So what is the next victim to be sacrificed from the SS museum? Perhaps the ST120?[:'(]

Terry

Charles, That was an old Mitusbishi amp that claimed (by its meters to be at least 100 WPC. Gave $5.00 for it at a flea market. I am doing some torture testing on these speakers to see if anything gives up. Turned out it was the amp. The thing sounded real good all the way up to when it quit. Now I have hooked up an old Quadraflex Reference 180 receiver. Came from the same flea market. Don't think this one has enough power. You know what they say, "It's the first clean 100 watts that matter", or something like that. Bob Crites

.........You know what they say, "It's the first clean 100 watts that matter", or something like that.........

Well, I must admit you got me on the floor with that one. And I can see that Michael does not fall far from the tree.

So what is the next victim to be sacrificed from the SS museum? Perhaps the ST120?[:'(]

Terry

Yeah Terry,

I think I am out of amps that can work the Cornscala IIs into a real frenzy. I bought an amp for bench work last week. A Nady 300 watt or so, but had to send it back. The three fans in it modulated speed with the amount of power it put out and the thing sounded like the turbocharger on my truck.

Who makes an inexpensive but good Pro amp that sounds good but either has no fans or quiet fans? Needs to also protect itself pretty well. I do mean things to my work bench amp.

Bob Crites

Now when I get the second one built, I will need to lure some local Klipsh nuts in for a listen.

The pilgramage is in June??  Do out of town nuts count?

Well, I did take a pair of Heresys to Hope the last time as "back seat" speakers for my truck. There might be a problem fitting these in the same place.

Bob

Still trying to come up with a good bench test amp.

I saw the suggestion above and have been given a couple of others.

One was the Peavy PV 900 and another was the Crown CE 1000. Both of these are are sort of in the price range I want to pay and both have specs that would indicate they would work well for a bench amp.

Does anyone have anything to say about either of them?

Bob Crites

One was the Peavy PV 900 and another was the Crown CE

1000. Both of these are are sort of in the price range I want to pay

and both have specs that would indicate they would work well for a

bench amp. Does anyone have anything to say about either of them?

Bob Crites

The Crown CE's are base models, similar to QSC RMX series, or the

Behringer EP series... fans are on the noisier side... and pretty

heavy to haul around. I'd prefer RMX over CE, but PLX takes it up

a notch.

As a test amp, i'd be temped to find a fanless used unit...

ROb

EDIT: Does it have to be new... or will used do? What's the power

you are after? Klipsch uses QSC in their test labs BTW...