Ei Type 2 KT-90 alert ... fantastic tube with VRD's!!

robster

Howdee all-( I'm not in any way associated with seller) on Audiogon now,under tube amp category,a seller is selling Ei KT-90 type 2's for $160 a quad and theses are new unused tubes. I bought a quad of Ei KT-90 type 2's from a different seller off Ebay several months ago for $190 and they sounded Fantastic in my VRD's which have been sold to a forum member.

The Ei's also put out a lot less heat than the EH's and Valve Art's. Some folks say the Ei KT-90 type 2's sound as good if not better than the pricey GEC's. I wouldn't know about that cause I couldn't afford those.

The Ei type 2's aren't prone to glowing cherry red and overheating like the type later type 3's.

Just passing it along in case folks with VRD's want to try out the Ei's. Also they are extremely hard to find. I believe Jim McShane sells them for $185 a quad but is out of them.

Cheers,

Robert

Hi Robster,

Just ask Craig how I used to sing the praises of the KT-90 over ANY KT-88 in my VRD's. I think he got tired of hearing it.[;)]

I had a NOS/NIB Quad of GEC KT-88's that I bought for the VRD's, they sounded wonderful of course. But, once I got around to some rolling I picked up a quad of the Ei KT-90's(type III's, not even the coveted type II's). In my opinion the KT-90's blew the KT-88's away in every aspect! They just seemed to play with more authority and impact across the board. I sold the GEC's shortly thereafter and never looked back. Later, I tried a quad of the EH KT-90's just for the heck of it. After they had some hours on them, I actually decided I liked them slightly better. Mostly in the bottom end.

I truly feel the KT-90 is an absolute winner.

Since Craig isn't replying, here is part of an email they we had going about a year ago when I asked him about 6550's for the my VRD's:

With 6550, KT88, KT90 and KT100's you will never have a problem with plate glow and all of them can be bias from .65V to .80 volts. My personal preference is still any of the 6550, KT88, KT90 and KT100's they just sound cleaner and right to me.

Thanks for the heads up. If I just had the money.

Danny

I have the ValveArt KT-88's (stock I guess?).... It was my understanding these tubes didn't matter much and the tubes in the pre and the little guys in the front of the VRD made the main differences in sound. Hmmm....

So... If I had these - about what would I expect the differences to be? I'd hate to go downhill in the bass department as it's real important to me (it's the one thing I'm truely happy about), and what would it do to the mids/highs?

EDIT: Buying tubes scares me a bit. How do you know they are matched? What if they hiss? I already have hiss and don't need any more. :)

Meagain,

Typically, the power tubes make much less difference than the small signal tubes. This is true on the VRDs. However, I took this as "I could gain some power" as well as slightly sweeter sound.

Let's face it, although the power tubes make less of a difference there is a difference between various power tubes. Some sound a little better than others. You need to decide if the cost difference is worth it. For many, it is not.

I have LaScalas, and when I read that you can even find an inch more bass output, I'm interested. So, I'll find out a little more about this.

I already found EH KT-90s for $156/matched quad.

I still trust Craig to quantify the differences since he's heard them all. I wouldn't buy anything until I talked to Craig. That's just me.

Mark1101 is correct. The 2 small signal tubes will make the most difference in my way of thinking.

I am also lost, in away, about the need for a quad. I thought because each tube can be biased the need for a match quad is not as important. The last set of tubes I bought (6550A) were a match quad, but I don't really think it mattered because of the individual bias pots.

Danny

I am enjoying the Ei KT-90s...but then robster already knew that...[;)]...I haven't even tried the original 88s in the VRDs...they do sound very nice with PLENTY of bass with the KT-90s and Klipschorns (AK-4s)...thanks again robster...hope all is going well with you and your family...Bill

I have the ValveArt KT-88's (stock I guess?).... It was my understanding these tubes didn't matter much and the tubes in the pre and the little guys in the front of the VRD made the main differences in sound. Hmmm....

So... If I had these - about what would I expect the differences to be? I'd hate to go downhill in the bass department as it's real important to me (it's the one thing I'm truely happy about), and what would it do to the mids/highs?

EDIT: Buying tubes scares me a bit. How do you know they are matched? What if they hiss? I already have hiss and don't need any more. :)

Yup you have hiss but I seriously don't think it has anything to do with the VRD's. Have you fixed any other issues in your system yet? When I hear you have we can back to fixing some others issues. One thing at a time. THE ABSOLUTE LAST THING YOU SHOULD BE DOING AT THIS POINT IS EVEN REMOTELY CONTEMPLATING TUBE ROLLING. By the way tube rolling is absolutely subjective and personal preference based. My amps just like many others from various manufactuters get rave reveiws with the original factory tubes. I own EH KT90's and they sit unused. To each his own, one man's garbage is another mans gold.

Craig

Silversport - You have the orig kt-88's? Aw... come on... put them in for a listen. Pretty please?

Oh Craig - I know you just want to talk to me. Fess up! No, I've not 'fixed' anything. I switched the crossovers & am waiting for something to break again & see if it switched sides.

Mark1101 is correct. The 2 small signal tubes will make the most difference in my way of thinking.

I am also lost, in away, about the need for a quad. I thought because each tube can be biased the need for a match quad is not as important. The last set of tubes I bought (6550A) were a match quad, but I don't really think it mattered because of the individual bias pots.

Danny

This is correct but it is not wise to purchase expensive tubes wildly mismatched it almost always means the tubes are the left over junk that were impossible to match from the tube sellers. But yes its nearly impossible to not be able to bias any 4 of good working tubes in the VRD's heck it would even be possible to run 4 different types at once although it would be pretty rough to understand why someone would do that. I can't believe I just said this.......I can hear it now [;)]

I think much of the perception of better tubes in the output slot is preconceived from outside forces (anyone say Jim McShane?). Almost every person that has switched and then switched back to the original equiptment tubes I have received feedback from quickly played down the first frantic excitement over the greatest tubes on earth they popped in. I've rolled different brands until I'm green in the face including GEC KT88 and EH/EI KT90's among about 10 other brands they all sound more alike then different. You want a real change in the output slot roll some EL34's KT66's 6L6GC or 350B's with 5U4 rectifiers! you may not prefer the change I don't but that will be a stark difference for sure. LIke I said above tube rolling is personal preference and can even be room dependant.

But hey roll away that is part of the fun of tubes!! I've done more then just about anyone I know of but I find the front end tubes are the true place to make them subtle changes myself.

Craig

Silversport - You have the orig kt-88's? Aw... come on... put them in for a listen. Pretty please?

Oh Craig - I know you just want to talk to me. Fess up! No, I've not 'fixed' anything. I switched the crossovers & am waiting for something to break again & see if it switched sides.

Were your ears burning over the weekend [;)]

Craig

My ears burning (or to what extent I felt the fire) would be directly related to whether or not Dean received my emails before the trip. [6]

He must not of because he never mentioned you. But you have a secret admirer for sure he must of said your name 200 times over the weekend[:)]

So how long have you had the crossovers changed without issue?

Craig

I am home from work now and realized that I have the original Valve Arts back in the VRDs. I had rolled in some JJ KT-88s and used them for several months. I got an urge to return to the Valve Arts last year some time and have had them in ever since. They sound fine.

Mark,

I believe it was my boot in the behind that gave the urge LOL!! I seem to remember that you were one of the ones that reported back that after switching back you came to the conclusion that the difference was small if at all. Everyone needs to realize I do not say what someone can expect to hear when prodding them to switch back I leave it up to them to tell me what they hear. Its the old human condition if you think you should hear a huge difference................

Craig

I hope he doesn't hate me! Conversely, is he cute? Not that I'm available of course - but... ya know...

I think it's been 2-3 weeks now since the switch. Too soon, but it's getting about the time things will freek out.

Hate you no no that is not the case......... Is he cute? well that all depends on what your opinion of cute is....... post a picture of what you think is cute in the man.

Craig