OT: Question for dog owners

fini

IN-FINI-TY TO 1,THAT YOUR SOULS WOULD HAVE EVER CROSSED,KARMA!,you want the first doggie, he's sick an needs you&yours, life chooses,not visa versa, you my friend,you are in a quadrangled oxymoron,the more i inspect you, the more i respect you,me an me, an me, disagree,there's only one way out, just that one thing,that one..... Thing!

That is the most profound comment I have seen on here yet, simply Awesome, my hat is off to you JohnyHoliday!! Peace Brother

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the notion about the retired Greyhound, I've heard they make good pets. I imagine one has to make time everyday to walk a dog like that however.

Actually they are quite lazy. Mine gets all fired up about 8:00pm for 5 minutes. Wants to run around like a crazy dog then quickly tires. I guess it is like cheeta saving up the energy for the hunt. Most of the day he sleeps. He does love to go for walks....but not manditory.

The greyhounds that I have known have all been "40MPH couch potatoes", as was my Borzoi!

I just saw this and decided I had to add info to this. I've owned 3 grey hounds for far and all of them toys. No room for the biggies. In my experience they seem a bit on the stupid side. This may be totally wrong and I may have just bought 3 stupid dogs in a row, but my other rat terrier would absolutely the sharpest dog I've seen. Anyways I remember on of my greyhounds took about a year or so to properly paper train him. That dog supposedly went to training school etc, so I don't know. I DO love greyhounds. They are so sleek and cool looking, although it seems they sacrified cranial capacity for aerodynamacy. Good look on a dog! Try concidering rat terriers.

I don't know dogs and sure as heck don't know daughters, but here's my .02.

Pretty soon both those girls will be leaving the nest to college or otherwise. Then it will be YOUR dog. So you'd better get the one you want for the next 10-20 years, because I would think the chance of either girl taking a dog to their dorm room or first apartment might be slim.

That being said, I'm a firm believer in 'saving' animals. Mine of choice happen to be cats, and yes I take the one from the litter that is friendly to me initially. I'm sure older animals that have had poor upbringing might need a period of adjustment, in that case selecting the correct breed for mentality and size might be important factors.

But do yourself and get one for YOU dude. You're gonna be feeding it, walking it, paying the vet bills. Not the girls. They'll most likely enjoy anything cute and fuzzy.

Maybe I'd be a horrible Dad, no wonder I'm not married.

M

Michael,

I never said I was horrible, just hated ;^) which to me is (if interspersed with mostly tolerated, and occasionally adored) a sign I'm doing an OK job. You are dead right about making sure it's a dog I like. That being said...

We Got A DOG!!

Yep! He's a 12-week old Shih Tzu puppy. We got him from a good local breeder. He's a bit timid (like there's a force field around all of us humans), but when he's on your lap, he melts. It goes without saying that my girls are in love (with the dog, not me). I'm "OK" again!!

Thanks all for the great suggestions here. I, too like the idea of rescuing animals (our cat Luccia is a good example), but this guy stole hearts.

Since the new forum upgrade, I haven't been able to post any photos. Anyone wanna do it for me? I can email it. Thanks!

Fini, congrats. As long as there are some connections between you and your pup, you'll be old friends before too long.

I think all of the suggestions here were good. For me, I've only had two dogs in my life. Both were shelter dogs and both picked me. I walked past a 150 dogs a weekend for a few months and one would sit there quietly, give me the eye and invite me into his/her cage. The eye contact was the thing. Trust at first sight.

Our first dog was a Golden/Border Collie cross that we named Duffy. She was a great dog and stayed with us eight years before getting canine lymphoma. We found out she had it and she was gone a week later. We blew it by not checking her lymph nodes regularly.

Two years later, here we are in Hilton Head and somewhat over losing Duffy and in need of a canine companion again. We cruised the local shelter every week for a few months and then we found another dog that "gave me the look". We took him out for a walk and that was that ... Turned out to be an Aussie Shepherd about a year old. Sheds like a Live Oak but it's a small price to pay for such great companionship. He's always at my side when I'm home and he loves to run on the beach.

One thing to point out. Aussies and most breeds require training as said above. I found a local trainer who uses the Dogtra training collars with a wireless (1/4 mile range) control unit. They're humane and wonderful. Max responds really well to all commands (no correction needed anymore) but it's wonderful to have when he's romping in the waves with other dogs.

Sounds like you did well. Invest a few bucks and time in training and you'll be a very happy man.

Chris

Michael, I never said I was horrible, just hated ;^) which to me is (if interspersed with mostly tolerated, and occasionally adored) a sign I'm doing an OK job. You are dead right about making sure it's a dog I like. That being said...

We Got A DOG!!

Yep! He's a 12-week old Shih Tzu puppy. We got him from a good local breeder. He's a bit timid (like there's a force field around all of us humans), but when he's on your lap, he melts. It goes without saying that my girls are in love (with the dog, not me). I'm "OK" again!! Thanks all for the great suggestions here. I, too like the idea of rescuing animals (our cat Luccia is a good example), but this guy stole hearts. Since the new forum upgrade, I haven't been able to post any photos. Anyone wanna do it for me? I can email it. Thanks!

Good Luck, everyone loves puppies, it's when it's older, it becomes yours. Enjoy the dog, with 2 teenage daughters, you need a friend!!!!

You cannot trust first impressions with dogs... You absolutely didn't give him a fair shake! You can rehabilitate ANY dog problem, I'm a firm believer in that. Once you establish the "pack," ie your family unit, and the dog is integrated into the pack (as a follower, not a leader) the entire dynamic has changed, and the dog will be a different dog.

Highly recommended book by Ceasar Milan (aka the Dog Whisperer from National Geographic channel). His show is worth watching--I've never seen anyone smarter with how to handle dog problems. I used to own a Rottie--she was just like one of the kids.

No dog will be perfect at first encounter.....it's a learning process for you and the dog.

I agree with Amy. It's amazing how they turn around once they are in a loving home and start to feel "safe". One has to think about all the stress that dog went through. I'm sure he was happy and cute as heck at one point - till his owners dumped him to the hands of strangers and placed in a strange, stressful environment. And the poor guy's not feeling well either. God only knows what kind of garbage food he was given, etc. Often 'foundlings' are so appreciative (once they realize what a good deal they just got) that can make the best pets.

So Fini - My advice to you is go back to the shelter and get yourself a 2nd dog. Then they can play, sleep, be pals with each other. :) Now I'm worried about him of course, I hope he's adopted. What happens if everyone else passes on him like you did cuz he didn't immediately act like a dumb puppy? Is it a no-kill shelter?

When I read the original post only one animal came to mind and the 1st reply by rplace nailed it: GREYHOUND. Over the years I've enjoyed several canine pets. Hands down the finest were my female Greyhounds. Most people think of them as being overly energetic requiring a ton of walking and play time. Exactly the opposite is the case. They are like big kitties. They sleep and lounge 75% of the time and when they do play they are really amazing to watch. Both of mine were rescue animals. Both were female. Both were around 50 lbs. They both instantly latched on the the family. They came leash trained and very people friendly. They are, after all, given special attention from birth and learn to pay attention to human commands. Also, as a pure bred their gene pool is wide and deep. They've been a distinct breed since forever and are not some hyper illness prone inbred animal recently contrived for herding ducks or looking pretty. They come in a wide range of colors. The females are darlings and make wonderful pets...even in apartments. They also make you very fat conscious.[:)]

Congrats Fini!

They say dogs and their owners start to look like each other. That one is off to a great start. Take a little off the top and give the dog some glasses and you two could have been separated at birth [;)]

Anybody else out there thinking about taking the dog plunge don't over look the greyhound! The comments about them being a pure breed dog with none of the complications is spot on. they are bread from the strongest and fastest stock not for a particular look, color or size. The result one of the healthiest dogs out there.

That's a good looking pooch. Congrats!

Let me make a recommendation for others considering acquisition of a canine companion. I got my best friend Felix from a schnauzer rescue group; there are scads of these rescue groups for any given breed, and generally speaking, the "foster" parents know each dog quite well and won't steer you wrong.

Felix had been a PERFECT match for me, just as his foster mom Juliana predicted. He's old and, for all practical purposes blind, but he is the most loving little dude I have ever known. I swear, "rescued" dogs have the capacity to appreciate the second chance(s) they get.

And a final thought -- schnauzers shed VERY LITTLE if at all. Softer coat = no shedding, generally. They can be "barky" but can also learn not to be quite so noisy.

Anyway, thumbs up to adopting a rescue!

Chris

Congrats Fini!

They say dogs and their owners start to look like each other. That one is off to a great start. Take a little off the top and give the dog some glasses and you two could have been separated at birth [;)]

Rich, That's exactly what I thought! They both have that 'scraggly' beard look with the salt an pepper coloring. I predict a happy outcome for our friend Gregg and dog. Nice photos too, love that one from Dad's viewpoint with that lil tongue waggin! Tres cute!

M

congrats on the pup! Sure is a cute little guy, I am sure you will have many happy years together![:D]

edit: for maximum joy with the little critter, remember it is a DOG not a little person. Dogs thrive under the strong leadership of a good pack leader. Though it does not fit with OUR way of thinking a dog is much more secure with a firm leader.

An old expression follows but it is true none the less.

A dog is much happier living under Hitler than it is under the Pope.

This is not to say to treat him badly, just be firm and consistant. The book that Amy recomended is an EXCELENT choice, pick one up and have a fantistic time with the little guy!