Klipsch: Good News/Bad News

artto

The good news first. I recently purchased a RC-7 from the Klipsch Ebay Store. Unfortunately it arrived damaged with one of the drivers hanging on by just one screw. The good part is the turnaround replacement time was less than a week, just like with my defective Cornwall cabinet back in 1974. Many thanks to Amy who initiated the order replacement and was still there working well after closing hours when responding to my email. Thanks Amy!!!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now the bad news. I know many of you are Reference fans. Believe me, Im very satisfied with the Reference Series sound in my video/HT system. However, after having owned Klipsch Heritage in various forms over the last 30+ years, and now after having a first hand look at how the Reference Series are made, I have to say that the Reference Series are NOT, in any way, in the same league with the Heritage speakers. For instance, when the cut sheet promo propaganda says cast-polymer woofer frames, Im thinking a strong material something like carbon graphite. But here, apparently the word polymer translates to plastic, which resulted in the woofer frame mounts breaking off due to some kind of impact although there was no visible damage to the shipping box. You just dont experience this kind of thing with Heritage. If we were comparing cars, Id say the Reference Series is more like a Corvette, and Heritage is a Rolls Royce. With Reference you get performance and looks ( but its still a Chevy ), but the Rolls is still the most common standard by which all others are judged when it comes to quality. Then again, theres no comparison in price either. On the other hand, its nice to have both. [:D]

Having owned both - I wouldn't get too excited about the low cost drivers used in Heritage either - was alway the one disappointment for me - no cast frames, ,etc as in the JBL line. Efficiency did allow PWK to cut that corner and still get awesome sound.

I look at it this way...no matter how any Reference or Heritage loudspeaker is made or the quality of material in the parts used to make them, it's all in how they sound that is most important to me. If they sound good, that's all I care about (and they do)!

Artto

Having been a long time Heritage owner myself, I knew when I planned my HT that only Heritage would make me happy.

I've made a few improvements to my Heritage HT since you were here last. You should come up to the get together Boomac, Damon and I are having the weekend of May 20th.

JM

umm is it me or when did polymer ever mean metal??? Polymer is plastic. BTW the delivery guys probably dropped it flat hence no visible box marks but flat dropping really tests all the joints and screws.

BTW rolls royce reliablity is more or less a joke...... [;)] they do not want it published but not surprisingly a lexus has the least problems while ford has better reliability than a rolls royce.... Ok soo the window took three weeks of nasa grade optic surfacing..... and the wood is 25 year old walnut that took a week to hand make...... oops the egine won't start! ^$%^%#$

"Having owned both - I wouldn't get too excited about the low cost drivers used in Heritage either - was alway the one disappointment for me - no cast frames, ,etc as in the JBL line...."

You have a good point regarding the vintage JBL having better drivers and construction - but the fact that most Heritage are still in use and working well 10/20/30/40 years later is a testament that the Klipsch were, in many ways "good enough". I rarely hear of woofer magnets or midranges breaking loose when shipping Heritage product as we do on the Reference, and the Heritage doesn't need refoaming like the vintage JBL does (and the real parts aren't cheap either). So AFAIC, the Heritage are certainly good enough for me when installing a high end system - and dollar for dollar, they just ROAST the competition.

And then when you figure in USED Heritage prices, it's such an unfair fight as to make it it's own category in the world of audio. It's almost like cheating that a buyer can invest $1000 or less in a nice Cornwall pair, and if properly "fed" get multiples of the $$$ in performance. Add a few hundred for LaScalas, add a thou for the Klipschorns. It's a rare thing to get SO MUCH from something that costs relatively little in comparison to the performance. The used Heritage buyers here are getting the best audio deal on the planet. They are SUCH a good deal that I have placed a half dozen pairs here in the homes of local friends, who would otherwise probably have Bo$e......don't go to the big box stores - BUY THESE[:D] They did, and they still thank me, years later.

Vintage JBL suffers from the opposite problem - collector inflation. It's definitely worth the money, and I'd love to own an LE85,175, or 375 midrange laden pair of JBL - but the Klipsch bring so much to the table for less - and have much less worry in terms of future service. I'm as addicted to the JBL sound as anyone - but Heritage are much more affordable to "go nuts with" - like 6 identical Cornwalls in my HT. Doing that with JBL? EXPENSIO!

The RF-7's have cast aluminum frame, The RF-5 have cast polymer frame. The RF-83 doesn't specify what cast frame it uses.

Heritage vs. Reference is purely subjective.

Heritage has undergone changes of today and is built different than yesteryears and makes use of MDF, some non-USA made drivers, and a little lighter/less heavier than earlier models, less metal horns replaced with plastic ones, and improvements over time. Materials have changed over time.

It all just balls down to two great lines put out by Klipsch, enjoy both instead of trying to put them against each other and just enjoy!

I rarely hear of woofer magnets or midranges breaking loose when shipping Heritage product as we do on the Reference

now now how if you do a failure per quantity sold I bet it would be around the same.

Jay,

You are just WRONG! How many times have you heard about posts snapping, feet breaking off, drivers jarring loose, coils separating, etc., etc., etc. when shipping Reference speakers? ALL THE TIME! How many times have you heard of these types of issues with Heritage? None. Zippo.

I know you just bought some RFs so you're defending your speakers. Didn't you have issues with shipping damage? I thought so.[;)] I'm not saying you made the wrong decision. They're nice speakers and Klipsch will ALWAYS stand behind their product. Just don't compare their build quality to the Heritage line. You'll lose every time.

From what I see, The cones seems to be cast aluminum.

I had shipping damage? no it was more like a scratch on the surface.... My roommate did more damage.

But statiscally, I bet the reference series falls in line with the heritage. Based upon the fact that the reference outsells the heritage.

• Moderators

The Reference line is MUCH more susceptible to shipping damage because they are tall and skinny. Simply physics will allow you to realize they will topple easily compared to the wide bases of the Heritage products.

They both are made with outstanding quality and attention.

The Reference line is MUCH more susceptible to shipping damage because they are tall and skinny. Simply physics will allow you to realize they will topple easily compared to the wide bases of the Heritage products.

They both are made with outstanding quality and attention.

well damn I eat crow