How much would you pay for this speaker?

sheltie dave

It looks pretty cherry!

Lot#:

Description:

JBL PARAGON C44000 LOUDSPEAKER, CIRCA 1966 James B Lansing Sound Inc. Los Angeles, California, designed by Arnold Wolf based on a Diffusion Principle design developed by Richard Ranger. Three-piece walnut cabinet consisting of a pair of LE15A bass drivers, two 375 compression drivers mounted to H5038P-100 elliptical horns and two 075 tweeters using LX5 crossovers. Serial number 41154. h: 35 1/4" d: 30" l: 103 1/2" Single owner, purchased at Hi-Fi West, University City, Missouri in 1966.

Group - Category:

Antiques & Collectibles - furniture

Estimate:

10,000.00 - 12,000.00

I'll try to post the photo tomorrow.

I have always wanted one of these. I even paid a couple of hundred dollars for a set of plans many years ago but when I showed them to the guys in my shop they told me it would take about 200 hours to hand build one. And then you'd have to scare up the innards--back then it would have been at least a couple of thousand bucks. OUCH!

A Paragon would look PERFECT in my room, I have only heard one of these once, powered by Marantz tube gear and it sounded wonderful--not sure it would best my beloved Cornwalls, but I'd sure love to give it a try!!

I'd pay $7500 no problem for a factory original clean Paragon.

Check your pm, Allan. If they don't, I'll be there taking photos and could relay a silent sealed bid. I think they do allow what you want, though.

We still have two very dog eared and decrepit ones floating about town, but they want top dollar for non-functional examples.

BTW Allan, it would not better your Corns. I've heard the Paragon, the Metregon, and the Ranger Minigon, and all three have some funky geometric sweet spots. They can't be beat for the elan and style they cast on a room, but they have some serious sigmoid nodes in box rooms.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9710635405&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This auction is over now but thought you might want to see what they are going for. Her pictures were awful but I went to see it and it was very nice in person. I even offered to re-take the pictures for her so she could get more for it but she didn't want to bother with it. She also just sold a Patrician, a Hartsfield and a pair of Jensen 1200-XL.

Ebony was a color option. It looks much better in person but there were a few scratches and gouges. When I first saw the pictures, I thought it was painted too but it's not. The man she is selling all this stuff for is in a nursing home now. He bought only the finest pieces. She only has a few pieces of electronics left and will not sell anything to anybody unless they win it on ebay which is better for her so she can get more money for her friends health care. Most of her stuff is going to Asia where the big money is. I bought an ElectroVoice Stereon from her.

A rough ebony Paragon just went for $15K on ebay recently. Good luck with the low ball bids.

Chris

The ebony finish is rare and the one on ebay was REALLY early--still, it was a couple of thousand overpriced in my view.

When I say "lo ball" I mean $8K or so--not a few hundred bucks.

This is a local, live auction and the odds of a "bidding frenzy" taking place are a lot less than what you often see on ebay.

This one might go for $6000 and it might go for $12,000.

Ebony was a color option. It looks much better in person but there were a few scratches and gouges. When I first saw the pictures, I thought it was painted too but it's not. The man she is selling all this stuff for is in a nursing home now. He bought only the finest pieces. She only has a few pieces of electronics left and will not sell anything to anybody unless they win it on ebay which is better for her so she can get more money for her friends health care. Most of her stuff is going to Asia where the big money is. I bought an ElectroVoice Stereon from her.

I wonder if her friend is her husband, who she screamed at for 50 years everytime he brought home another piece of gear. She's probably on the weekly charter to Vegas after every auction whoopin' and a hollerin' the whole time.

I wonder if her friend is her husband, who she screamed at for 50 years everytime he brought home another piece of gear. She's probably on the weekly charter to Vegas after every auction whoopin' and a hollerin' the whole time.

I met her husband too. He's a crotchedy (?) old guy, always in a bad mood. The guy they're selling for is an old friend in a nursing home who doesn't even remember what all this stuff is anymore. At least that's the story they gave me and I have no reason not to believe them. It's all just sitting in their two garages. I really believe they had no idea what their friends collection was worth.