Pending KHorn Purchase, Need Help Fast

• Moderators

Kudret,

I understand your concern about the look of false corners. However, with a bit of imagination & creativity they can be made to blend in pretty well. I, and others, have been able to do this sucessfully (in my opinion). Since it will certainly help the sound, it should be considered.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom

Do you have a photo(s) of your false corner(s) you can post/send to me, or direct me to a thread on here where you have previously posted them. I might be able to sell my wife on the idea with those. Do you agree that the length of the false corner needs to be a min. of 4' out from the wall?

Travis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

though some may claim that price is a bit high, the savings by picking up instead of shipping is a plus...also, once they start playing you won't really look at them...I don't...I have the Birch Raw stained "Dark Walnut"...not my choice and I must admit, many of the other woods look so sweet but...I have my K'Horns and...wave $1800.00 cash in his face and he might bite...if not, it will happen when it's time...good luck...Bill

Travis,

I am glad it is working out for you. I think the price is great if you are getting them local. No hassle involved.

My Khorns are about 12 feet apart and I am using false corners until I redo my music room. They sound awesome.

I am going to try and post a picture. The khorns and false corners are mine. Everything else in the picture belongs to Edster00, who I bought the Khorns from.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your speakers as much as I love mine.

Danny

Travis - I know for TX, there seems to be a constant supply of Heritage, but not sure about the Austin area. I say buy them. If you have your heart set on a veneered pair - I'm sure you'd have no problem selling the Birch C's to recoup your money give or take a couple hundred. Meanwhile - you have your khorns. I almost see buying used speakers as 'renting' or 'borrowing' them cuz you're never locked in and if gotten for a proper price - no harm no foul?

Can you flip the room? Or - what about the wall to the left? You must have true corners in there somewhere? Is that a possibility? I don't really blame your wife. I'd have a problem with it to. Would you be able to get into the room OK? I see a door there.

I like how Dean did his false walls though I'm not sure why the need for the bases. Can you add a slab of MDF directly to the khorn? Then it's more portable and maybe a bit more palatable?

Ooo! You could put a Scala right under the screen. Nice.

• Moderators

Can you flip the room? Or - what about the wall to the left? You must have true corners in there somewhere? Is that a possibility? I don't really blame your wife. I'd have a problem with it to. Would you be able to get into the room OK? I see a door there.

I like how Dean did his false walls though I'm not sure why the need for the bases. Can you add a slab of MDF directly to the khorn? Then it's more portable and maybe a bit more palatable?

Ooo! You could put a Scala right under the screen. Nice.

I wish I could flip the wall, the room is essentially 16 by 25, the wall with the screen is the short side, not including the entry area with the door. I don't think putting them on the 25' wall is going to work with only being able to be go back 14 to 15 (allowing room for chairs, etc.) The other short wall has a door on the left so that will not work either. I will send another photo to show what I am talking about.

Slapping MDF on the side does not look to good in my opinion, I have seen photos on the forum where the false corner had a more "built in" look that made it look much more finished in my opinion.

Travis

I bet they'd work well on that 25' wall! Would they fit with the windows there? You could always play around once you get them, but I could see it. Then float the seating as you have done there, leaving a nice aisle from door to door. (LOL on the record collection. Very nice).

Where would you put the 'Scalas?

• Moderators

False corners do not need to be 4' from the corner. 4' was used because wood comes in 4 foot sheets. False corners look much better if they are not 4'.

I tried to attach a photo of false corners that I just sold a few days ago. See my avitar if the pic does not attach.

Chris

Shoot. you just sold them? And you are in Las Vegas too. I thought the studies PWK did on false corners led to the conclusion that if you wanted the bottom end as advertised, false corners needed to be a minimum height and length, and the length was 4' There has to be some minimum distance, beyond the sides of the speaker if you want to get the true bottom end since the walls actually form part of the horn/speaker. I have not seen the whitepaper in awhile, but I seem to recall that the tests that Klipsch did showed you would have lowend rolloff with sides less then 4'.

Travis

Travis, From a pure 2 channel perspective, your long wall is ideal for Khorns. Seated just in front of the back wall, you would have a live stage arrayed in front of your first row seat. Those huge horns would disappear, transporting you to where ever the band is playing.

Try it with your Lascalas for S&Gs. Move the one buy the door to the other corner placing both at 45 degree angles like Khorns.. Just spread your great record rack. You should "see" the effect except, with Lascalas, you will be in the first row of the balcony.

As to the veneer, I didn't keep any of the details of my purchase sorry. The width was about 11.5" allowing just two joints on the front. I felt the more joints, the greater chance for error on my part. Some woodworkers would remove all of that lighter sap wood. I liked the contrasting effects so left some in.

Rick

Kudret,

I understand your concern about the look of false corners. However, with a bit of imagination & creativity they can be made to blend in pretty well. I, and others, have been able to do this sucessfully (in my opinion). Since it will certainly help the sound, it should be considered.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom

Do you have a photo(s) of your false corner(s) you can post/send to me, or direct me to a thread on here where you have previously posted them. I might be able to sell my wife on the idea with those. Do you agree that the length of the false corner needs to be a min. of 4' out from the wall?

Travis

Guys,

The original thread is titled "Simple False Corner" in Ups & Mods

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/516341.aspx

It will lead you through the construction. There are other ways also. In your case you might be able to disguse it as the back of a book case. Who knows. I am sure there is some work around for this.

Good Luck,

-Tom

The original thread is titled "Simple False Corner" in Ups & Mods

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/516341.aspx

Thank you for posting the link. That looks very nice, and certainly much better than what I was imagining.

Kudret