looking for a budget tube preamp.

Speedball

It seems the next best move for me would be to try a tube preamp with my amp and speakers so I can get a taste of tubes somewhere in the mix. Does anyone have any thoughts good or bad about the following old preamp, I really like the look of old gear.

....hopefully the clickable link will work for you.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatube&1151849605

Pass.

He's selling to hard for Audiogon.

Reads like an EBay ad. Chances are it will need to go to Craigs

for at least another $200 in work. In a lot of these ads these so

called "techs" are like a doctor looking for a heartbeat and calling

the patient healthy.

Yeh, hard to know what's a good deal on vintage. This could be a sweet one.

Here's a few more I noticed on Audiogon. Don't know what your budget it, though.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1151419417

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1150417115

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1150123954

I love Dynaco PAS preamps. Nothing better imo for $200. You can fix them yourself with minimal electronics skill or knowledge. A great starter preamp. Buy it and check it out, play with it, enjoy it. If you don't like it, you can resell it for what you paid. This one doesn't look like it would need work. Seller has lots of feedback.

Granted I have not heard a PAS that has been updated. I do not think that I would spend more than 100 - 150 bucks for one. From what I have seen for the "update kits" you ll be into it for a fair bit. The stock ones leave a lot to be desired imho

Josh

my budget a couple months ago was 3x what it is today.

I know what you mean by that Charlieboy......

Maybe I just need to keep w-a-i-t-i-n-g for things to change a bit financially before jumping on the tube wagon.

Thank's for everybodys input, I'll be here waiting.

What is your budget?

You should check out the Juicymusic Merlin. Good Price!!!! Heard great things about this preamp. And it's new! Not only that, you get to place your order with the designer (Mark) and his technical support is out of this world.

www.juicymusicaudio.com

A lot of people love his line and think he is an outstanding guy.....including myself. I don't bother him much, but he always answers any questions I have.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Speedball,

I may possibly have a Dynaco PAS pre in my hands in a few days. I'll be checking it out tomorrow. I might want to turn it (it's part of a package deal I am probably snagging). I'll keep you in mind, if all goes well...

If you are still in the market, I have a Chinese made Audio Experience MKII (tube rectified), with NOS Sovetek tubes. Nice sounding starter unit, but I recently upgraded to Blueberry X. I live about 45 miles west of you and cfould probably arrange a demo if you were interested. I would like to get about $250.00

What do you think about these made in the far east.

Been looking into an Amp and it seems there are wide offerings (single ended, push-pull w/transformer, push-pull with out transformers, etc). Spec's are amazing if crediable (very wide bandwidth with tight +- db variations). Construction appears to be at an initial state comprable to taking a vintage unit thru a long series of restorations and upgrades. Some use modern xformers (round air core vs metal plate stacked square ones). Prices are very good. Some have a retro look, some modern. Reviews have been Pro in terms of value and performance.

I'm intrested in try a tube unit but do not want to buy vintage and have to restore. I currently have an Okyo TX-DS939 as my play reciever...was wondering how a tube unit would compare to it.

If you are still in the market, I have a Chinese made Audio Experience MKII (tube rectified), with NOS Sovetek tubes. Nice sounding starter unit, but I recently upgraded to Blueberry X. I live about 45 miles west of you and cfould probably arrange a demo if you were interested. I would like to get about $250.00

I'm not trying to be picky, just trying to help us all learn.... can you call a Sovtek tube NOS (New Old Stock)? They're too new to be called old aren't they? NOS should be reserved for, well, old stuff, like Mullard, RCA, Amperex etc. Am I right here?

What do you think about these made in the far east.

I think they look great although they would start making a bunch of them with black faces. The shiny silver chrome metal, polished and satin metal finishes look very nice but they don't seem to make many black dark colored units other than wood.

I'll just wait till things change financially............no biggie. Don't they say good things come to those who wait?

Hey Speedball,

Do you use one of the Makita miter saws you show in your avatar? I've looked at them, but it seems the location of the miter scale might be a PITA (under the wood to be cut).