One Up, One Down, the John Coltrane Quartet live at the Half Note

Well, today is my birthday. I took the day off from work and played golf with my pop and when I got home my wife handed me a present. I opened it up and found the Classic Records 2-disc LP set of this:

One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note

I had owned on a bootleg cassette the title track for years--it's one of those underground Coltrane must haves, but the fidelity SUCKED and I hadn't played it in years because I no longer have a tape deck in my system or in any of my cars.

This set is a revelation! It's mono, it's clean and the perfromance is other-worldly. This album presents the greatest quartet of the era at the absolute PINNACLE of their powers, captured live before an audience of about 50 people at the TINY Half-Note cafe in New York in early 1965.

Ufortunately, two of the four pieces are abbreviated--a burning Afro Blue that ends abruprly at 13 minutes and a 23-plus My Favorite Things that is still COOKING as it fades out. But SO WHAT!! I sat transfixed as I played all four sides twice. And I played them LOUD, VERY VERY LOUD.

I have a hard time talking or writing about Coltrane--there's a connection I feel when I listen to this music that's really impossible to put into words. The sense of tension and the rythmic pulse is so palpalble on these recordings they are indeed for me almost spiritual, as corny an cliched as that sounds. It's wild and grotesque and BEAUTIFUL and the sheer stamina of these musicians is unbelieveable--blowing and creating and speaking to each other in an harmonic vocabulary that is ASTONISHING even now, more than 40 years later!

I am happy. Very, very happy.

(the CD is supposed to be good too)

Who are the players on this album? Is the album obtainable anywhere?

BTW, my b-day is Sunday and I'll be playing in the morning as well. And then it's on to a couple of Tanquerey and Tonics, and an afternoon of listening to music before I pack up the BBX and send it off to Mark on Monday to get the Cream added.

Mike

Well since you're feeling so spiritual, I've tossed Coltrane's "religous" album on the TT.

"A Love Supreme"

Same personnel. Not mono, it's a 1985 digital re-master by Impulse.

Happy Birthday Alan.

"I am happy. Very, very happy."

Well Allan, that's the way Birthday's are supposed to be. Some of us never get there.

It's good to know someone who truly appreciates and enjoys music as much as yourself. I'd dare say you get more good out of a jazz LP than any other three guys here.

God Bless you man, keep on listening and posting.

Michael

Allan,

Happy Birthday![<:o)]

Sounds like your wife picked a nice gift.[:)]

My experiences listening to Coltrane are generally like how I feel

about the music: Intense. This is not (for me) passive listening,

or background material. It is an active listening

experience.

Enjoy your day!

Paul

Happy birthday!

If the album has just been released, they must have the tapes of the complete songs! They should have made it a double album! What gives them the right to edit and fade out when finding a treasure in the vaults?

Yes I know, I am cranky today, don't come near! [:@]

They're "radio shots" and they are what they are, with radio announcements and such. They are cut off beause the "show" was over even though the band wasn't finished!

The fidelity is about a 6 or 7 on a scale to 10.

It IS a double album!

Happy birthday ol' chum! I tried to post yesterday but the forum was too slow here.

Sounds like you had a good day. Glad you were able to hit the links with Dad. I hope you stayed away from the tics this time!

That LP is now on my short list. I'd be a much richer man without you, but my music collection would be less rich also.

I'll play one for you today my friend.[8][D][^]