cornwall/la scala

SPW

[sn][8] I currently own heresy speakers, my primary music source since I purchased them in 1980. I have them in my family room now with my old Mac 5100. I am going to get either Cornwalls or La Scalas for the basement, a large (15X30) open carpeted area. I am thinking that Cornwalls will sound like the Heresy speakers with a fuller, deeper bass. Correct? But what about the LaScala's, less bass but more accurate? Do the LaScala have a smaller cone style woofer using the extra air column of the folded cabinet in the La Scala, or is the folded horn woofer really a horn configuation like the mid and tweeter. I have two long wall corners to put them in (I Know what you're thinking) but can"t afford the Klipschorn.

I listen to all kinds of music, jazz-blue grass-classical, I would just as soon not require a sub for my two channel sound. Am I on the right track in terms of these spaker's differences?

Cornwalls and LaScalas use the same woofer, Klipsch K-33. While the Cornwall is is set up as a direct radiator in a ported cabinet, the LS is a horn loaded design with sealed back chamber. Either will be a vast improvement over the Heresy's. Personally, I'd go with the LS, especially in view of your music choices. None of those styles of music have the overloaded bass of hip-hop/rap, heavy metal or movies.

Of course, this subject has beaten to death many times here on the forum, many flame wars have burned intensely, both sides have their adherents who are committed to fight to the death, all that.

I have Cornwalls and LaScalas, for normal music I prefer the horn loaded woofer. Fast, tight, accurate bass is my thing, mostly. Really, you can't go wrong with either.

It's a tough decision. There are many many of us who have tried, listened to, or currently own both LS and CW. For me it comes down to the type of music.

I have had a CW and LS side by side, getting mono signal, even gone so far as to match the levels so as to listen purely to sonic differences. (LS is about 6 db louder).

My analysis was that I preferred CW's in most situations, Hard Classic Rock, Fusion Jazz, Orchestra. However the LS with the larger K400 horn sounded better on light jazz, small combos and female vocal-heavy music. I'd say that if the music was simpler and the lead instrument/voice was clearly discernable, the LS held the upper hand in midrange clarity, but was lacking in low end extension.

That being said, I currently am using LS for my mains simply for their extra efficiency, and CW's for rear surrounds. I have sufficient CW's that my HT will eventually be entirely CW, with the LS for a separate 2 channel rig.

Many people here have seen my photo with the several pairs of both types and asked, if you could own ONE pair of Klispch speakers, what would it be? (not that my opinion matters all that much)

My response every time - Cornwall.

Michael

Like Michael said about the music choices. I've got both, as well. For overall tastes, I'd take the Cornwall, but in two channel it's the La Scala, hand's down. I wished I could put them in Corners in my room, but I cannot with the current arrangement.

BS

what Colter said, the efficiency can really make a difference, the LS mid-range is better, but the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall mid-bass punch is better (and my treble was worse), LaScala sold me on Khorns, which except for a flatter soundstage and a horrible requirement for corners, beats them both!

Since I am now modding my Khorns, I could have simply modified my Cornwalls and saved a lot of grief!

BTW, Chorus are cheap to the market compared to Cornwalls. On eBay sales in 2004 and spring 2006, Chorus sales average $559, with shipping at $215.

SPW,

It is an interesting decision. One thing to keep in mind is that the Cornwalls will sell for about $600-800 while the La Scalas wil be about twice that price.

Since the La Scala is a loaded horn design, while the Cornwall is a ported cabinet, the bass will be more accurate than the Cornwall. Settle down & don't get angry, they are both good .... Personally, I find the Cornwall to have a bit of a nasal sound in the mid range. Although this seems to be less of a problem with the Cornwall 2s

IMHO, the more expensive cabinet wins.

However there is an important caveat. Once you get into the price range of a La Scala, you are now a stone's throw from the price of a Klipschorn. Now, there is no comparison, the jump to a K-Horn is significant. If one is patient and checks the classifieds etc (I find e-Bay almost worthless), you can sometimes find K-Horns at a very reduced price (the size and shipping are deal-killers for many). I have Hereseys, Cornwalls, and Klipschorns in my house. If the house ever caught on fire, guess which ones I would jump in and save......

Good Luck,

-Tom

I always liked Heresy 1's more than 2's .

THE NEW ONES (version 3) ARE BETTER.

The same with Cornwalls.

I will assume your talking about the used market.

The La Scala shares the same mid and high end as the mighty K horn. It does not go as low..but is quite capable minus a sub sounding woofer going low enough for movies and some music. I will also tell you with better or should I say proper amplification some on the board witll say hogwash, it has PLENTY of bass.. (That may be true or almost 90% true based on your musical tastes too.) The fact is, things will always be subjective, but the big ole mid range horns in the K horn and La Scala just rule in dynamics and vocal ranges, musical instruments sound better,,,, Guitar, piano, sax, even percussion drums really open up. The bass goes lower in the Cornwalls and it is quite noticable.. but it also is muddy.

Have I confused you yet?

I do not have the proper answer to your question.. I will say this.. Only your ears can answer it for you. If you never heard the other side by side.. BOTH speakers sound pretty amazing too! Good luck!

Since my walnut-oiled <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall 1s, with B2 crossovers, mid- bass was tipped up, it was more enjoyable than the LaScalas. I would not say the LaScalas are more accurate than the Cornwall, unless you prefer acoustic bass over electric bass.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Four dozen Heresy pair sales on eBay, in 2004 and 2006, sell from $200 to $590, establishing the average value at $405. Shipping averages $80.

Three dozen Khorn sales on eBay average $1,944, almost one-hundred more than 2 years ago. Shipping is usually not available.

The sound of Khorns is better and their unwieldy size is a deal maker for big ole horn lovers.

I will throw one more thing into the ring...

16-20 feet or more between them... La Scalas.... Bigger speakers will give you a bigger sound.. More needed in bigger rooms!

Why?? Again, the bigger horn sounds better, fuller, and seems to have a greater coverage too!

The bass response of the La Scala is outstanding. The Klipschorn is better. But the only proviso is that at least with my former mid 80's K'horns, the bass could tend to sound a little bloated in smaller rooms. Later Klipschorns may not have this problem. But then again, this could be a problem with any full range loudspeaker in smaller rooms. On the other hand, when I placed my K'horns in a bigger room, they just 'took off' from sounding great to something extraordinary.

This is not to bag the La Scala. I just think you can get away with smaller rooms with the La Scala whle offering similar sound to the Klipschorn.

Where do you live...?? Come on over... I can show you two types of Cornwalls, La Scalas, Hersey's and, of course, Klipschorns too.

I am sure Colterphoto1 as well, could enlighten you as too. LOL

Glad you laughed.. The only Heritage I have not owned is the Belle. Again a smaller "La Scala type speaker" with a "Cornwall type" midrange dressed up. (OK do not kill me Michael!!)

• Moderators

SPW,

I have Hereseys, Cornwalls, and Klipschorns in my house. If the house ever caught on fire, guess which ones I would jump in and save......

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom,

I am guessing your heart would say save the K-Horns, however, I would bet your back, legs and arms would say they don't care what the heart wants, the only thing that is getting carried out of here is Hereseys. Those would be the only ones I could lift and carry by myself anyway.

Travis

When I was in my 20's, I preferred the La Scalas. Their crankability is just unstoppable (man, the memories). As my music taste has changed (and how loud I listen to it) I much prefer my Cornwalls. Just my experience, others may differ.

Also, in my experience:

The Cornwalls will sound very good in big room and can be a little boomy in a smaller room.

30 year old caps WILL suck the sparkle out of Cornwalls. Replace them.

Cornwalls do not normally need tone contols. Bypass the tone controls and the bass will be just right (as will the mids and treble). Very well balanced design. Without tone controls (or a subwoofer), the La Scalas will sound thin and very midrange foward.

The midrange in the La Scala can be awe inspiring in certain types of music, but can sound a little overbearing and beamy with others.

If you push the loudness control in and pour 100 watts into the La Scalas you will hear a live type performance the Cornwalls could never hope to reproduce - just too much compression over 105dB. Bragging rights are easy with these speakers.

At low volumes, the Cornwalls win hands down. The outstanding overall tonal balance gives a full sound that doesn't leave one reaching for the volume knob. This is probably the very best low volume speakers I have ever heard, period.

Cornwalls do everything well, but are not the best in any one category (except maybe low listening levels). They are a "Jack-of-all-trades" that give excellent long term satisfaction.

The La Scala, albeit excellent, is tonally compromised by its relatively small W-bin folded bass horn. This compromise has to be dealt with (sub, tone controls, accept it, deny it, et cetera).

With good crossovers and a good sub, the La Scalas will be much closer to the Khorn than the Cornwalls. Standing alone with just a source and a volume knob - the Cornwalls are hard to beat.

I really love both. It just depends on your needs. Either one will give stellar performance if set up properly. Just make sure you get what YOU want for YOUR own ears. I did.

Andy