Klipschorn 1985 Mint on ebay

DrFish96

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are serious about them, either bid high price and get it over with, or look at those beauties on the Klipsch Store. You will think you have them won, and somebody will snipe you at the end.

I have a hard time with this bidding crap, when a guy like Frzninvt offers speakers for sale, and people pass on them for some guy unknown on e-bay, and they get involved in a bidding war. Doesn't make much sense to me, but there again, it's not my money.

I have a hard time with this bidding crap, when a guy like Frzninvt offers speakers for sale, and people pass on them for some guy unknown on e-bay, and they get involved in a bidding war. Doesn't make much sense to me, but there again, it's not my money.

Location is the big thing. Vermont and California are about as big of a difference in distance as you can get.

Southern CA location may have a lot to do with the interest. A high concentration of folks that want 'em, and don't have to worry about shipping. I agrre, though. Charles has put some great stuff up for sale here.

If you are serious about them, either bid high price and get it over with, or look at those beauties on the Klipsch Store. You will think you have them won, and somebody will snipe you at the end.

That's exactly what you shouldn't do when bidding. You only shoot yourself in the foot, essentially bid against yourself, and up the price you'll be paying. I don't understand why people don't understand how to avoid the above or why they put a bid in with 6 days to go in the auction. It's just plain foolish.

Bidding early= bad strategy. DrFish96, There was a nice

pair of mint Khorns about 40 miles south of us (Fallbrook) that Gilbert bought

for 2K. They were on Craigs list for a while. I thought about them but didnt

have the money, or the space. They come up in So. Cal every now and then so dont

go crazy unless you need to have THAT pair[;)]

BTW, I am in Lake Mathews, about 15 miles to your west, just off of Cajalco Rd.

My intention is not to argue eBay bidding theories, but what is wrong with putting in your max bid on day 1 and waiting for the results. If you only bid once it does not matter when you bid. You are not bidding against your self if you put in your max bid and walk away. I understand , and also use the sniping strategy, but I have also found something I wanted right after it was listed, and put in a bid of the most I am willing to pay. I feel this is a more disciplined method of bidding. You do not get caught up in the emotions of bidding and maybe paying more than you were originally willing to. If somebody else wants it more than me, oh well. I agree bidding early and often may be considered foolish, but i'm tired of hearing people say it's stupid to bid early.

Jeremy

Alright!!

Since this has turned into a thread on how to bid on Ebay, I will put in my 2 cents or more.

I have been bidding on Ebay for 8 years and I like using it as a auction. I like bidding early and alot. This is fun for me. Waiting until the last minute for me would be like watching paint dry.

I am not some young kid who gets carried away with the auction. Do I get sniped every once in a while. SURE ! Did I still have fun. YES ! Do I get pissed off about it. SOMETIMES !

Unless you are going to resell the item, I dont believe that paying to much is true. If it is what you want. go for it.

I want a pair of Klipschorn. Will I get this pair. Time will tell. I will still have my 88 La Scala's, 83 Cornwalls, 76 Heresy Decoraters and others.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for all of your replies concerning the speakers.

Peter

There are some folks that want to put in their max bid early becuased they have determined the most they are willing to pay.

However...many have found..that you can pay less than your personal limit, if you wait til the last few seconds.

Some will say once existing bidders realize how many folks are intrested in the item...the bidders start to add to their max bid...the more time they have to do so...the higher the price gets.

On the other hand, some will say if the majority of folks wait til the last few seconds....the existing bidders will believe at lot of folks are not intrested in the item....the existing bidders feel confident...they do not raise their max bid...in the last few seconds...the snipers put in a calculated max bid based on the numbers of bidders, and the history of the existing bidders (what are the last few items they bid on, how much did they pay, etc).

I

A better bidding practice that eBay could have is one that some other places use. The auction is not over until a certain amount of time has elapsed since the last bid. If a bid is put in during the last three seconds (sniping), then the auction is automatically extended for 5, 10, 15, or whatever, more minutes, to give someone else a chance to beat it. This results in a final higher bid. The only inconvenience is that it does not necessarily end at the exact designated time.

I knew a woman who would bid tremendously high amounts on eBay, figuring she would not be outbid at the last second. She didn't bid on audio gear, but in Klipsch terms it would be like bidding $5000 on a pair of Heresies. That way she didn't have to worry whether they'd sell for $299, $350, or $404, she'd get them. She figured no one would be stupid enough to bid ten times what something was worse. But she did indeed get burned eventually because someone else apparently thought of the same bidding idea.

Capo - If you put in your max bid early and walk away, of course you are bidding against yourself. Someone else comes along and bids, your next bid kicks in - over & over & over again. You are bidding against yourself and because you put your bid in early - raised the price. It certainly IS foolish. If you want an item and especially if the item is important, rare, and expensive.

WS65711 - It DOES make a difference when you bid. You are showing your cards to everyone. If this was like a silent auction, it would be different.

Drfish - are these your speakers your selling? Because you sound like a seller, not a buyer. You like bidding early and alot? Against yourself and driving up the end price you'll be paying? Because it's fun? OK. LOL Sorry - You must be minted.

We're not talking about an $11 item here. This is a currently $2500 big buck item. If you want to bid early and ALOT because it's fun for you - well..... But most people find this price point in the high dollar range and yes, by bidding early and often you are only costing yourself money. Alot of money. For no logical reason.

Right now, each time someone bids on these khorns, that bid just cost you $50. The increment will go even higher. Why would someone want to bid 3 times and invest $150 when they could bid once and invest $50?

So why would anyone bid 6 days before auction close? No logical reason. None. It only serves to hurt you. The only reason I could see doing this is if you are going on vacation and will have zero internet access during the auction. Otherwise, the best thing to do is wait till the auction end. Or at minimum, the last day, but certainly closest to the close is best.

This is nothing more than plain common sense.

Capo - If you put in your max bid early and walk away, of course you are bidding against yourself. Someone else comes along and bids, your next bid kicks in - over & over & over again. You are bidding against yourself and because you put your bid in early - raised the price. It certainly IS foolish. If you want an item and especially if the item is important, rare, and expensive.

This is nothing more than plain common sense.

You must be right, because you said it.

Apparently I have no commom sense.

Jeremy

Okay-

How do you guys get to this point about ebay auctions? I am not the seller ( dont really care if you believe me or not.)

These speakers will go for a certian amount weather or not I bid early and often. If you are all waiting till the end, It will still get up very high. Life is to short to take this that serously.

I do consider 2500 to ba alot of money. This is serious but it is not earth shaking. Sorry but I will not waste my time thinking this much into it. It is only an ebay auction.

At this point I am sorry that I started this thread by asking about the speakers. I have been on the forum for about 4 years and learned alot from it. This is a low point on this forum as far as i am concerned.

Peter

At this point I am sorry that I started this thread by asking about the speakers. I have been on the forum for about 4 years and learned alot from it. This is a low point on this forum as far as i am concerned.

Peter

Oh it goes way, way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy lower than this. In four years, you haven't noticed that? (alhtough I'm not sure what's so low about this thread)

One thing you did pick up on though, in the future, if there is an audio item on Ebay that you are really interested in, it is in YOUR best interest not to mention it on any audio message board unitl after the auction is over.