Question about the Hope area...

We just drove through Arkansas for my first time ever as we drove from San Diego back to Knoxville.

Wife was telling me about some places, presumably along roadside, where you could look at/purchase those rock crystals (??). I understand they're the rocks that are cut open to reveal the crystals inside.

Given we never saw them, she later thought they were near Hot Springs which is more on the way to Hope than cutting across I-40.

So, if I'm to look into finding something like that for the little lady, do they exist and are they on the road to Hope or am I going to have to drive up to Hot Springs? (or indeed, is Hot Springs even the right town?...seems these are childhood memories from her)

My job is to find them and call her up to describe them and see if she wants me to nab one.

Used to see those places all the time in my corner, (NWA) on old 71 south between Favettenam, and Fort Smith around those turn out/look out stops. When 540 opened that section of 71S dryed up. Will be driving from one end of the state to the other going to Hope. Will keep my eye open.

tc

Coytee, it's only only about 22 minutes off I-30 down hwy 70 before you hit a couple of the good rock/crystal sellers and that would only add an hour to your drive in to hope with that stop[;)]

You must think I drive a fast car [6]

Seriously, thanks for the reference. Don't know that I care to add an hour drive each way on 70 but 22 minutes?

Bet I can make it in 19 [A]

• Moderators

Wife was telling me about some places, presumably along roadside, where you could look at/purchase those rock crystals (??). I understand they're the rocks that are cut open to reveal the crystals inside.

I'm assuming she's talking about Geodes? We used to go "digging" for them outside of Bloomington, IN when I was in college. Digging basically consisted of going out in the middle of a creek with your barefeet and scooping out the mud with your toes until you felt something round and bumpy. We'd smash them open later to see what colors we discovered.

Great fun. Hillbilly, I reckin, but great fun. [:)]

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I felt compleled to participate anyway. Maybe Trey knows...

Some friends of mine (and also recently "Klipsched and Peached and VRD'd") recently returned from a four day weekend in an area just a bit west of Hot Springs, where they mined all weekend. They make regular trips down there - usually once a year - and come back with various crystals. Shops are plentiful, too, for those who would rather not "find their own".

I tried to convince them to put that trip off until the pilgrimage, but given that it was Father's Day weekend, that wasn't gonna fly.....not to mention being outside in baking heat. They usually go spring or fall.

But at any rate, finding crystals in Arkansas is about as tough as finding a beer in Wrigleyville/Chicago on gameday - which is to say, not too difficult[:)].

• Klipsch Employees

Coytee, it's only only about 22 minutes off I-30 down hwy 70 before you hit a couple of the good rock/crystal sellers and that would only add an hour to your drive in to hope with that stop[;)]

You must think I drive a fast car [6]

Seriously, thanks for the reference.  Don't know that I care to add an hour drive each way on 70 but 22 minutes? 

Bet I can make it in 19 [A]

I have made it in 17 min driving a 1966 Toronado

http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobile.com/toronado/66.html

The things you do in collage.

There are many crystal shops in the Hot Springs area. Not many on I-30. You will have to get off the freeway to find them.

Some are glass, but most are Quartz. Arkansas is known as the Diamond state. They have the only working diamond mine in the US. All this comes form the volcano and fault that run through the area. Hot Springs is about 1 hr from Hope. Cool town.

I'm assuming she's talking about Geodes? We used to go "digging" for them outside of Bloomington, IN when I was in college. Digging basically consisted of going out in the middle of a creek with your barefeet and scooping out the mud with your toes until you felt something round and bumpy. We'd smash them open later to see what colors we discovered.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I felt compleled to participate anyway. Maybe Trey knows...

Yup, it's the same thing Amy. After all, here in Indiana we are a LITTLE hillbilly, but only a little. [;)]

Say, maybe you and I should get together while the gang is away! jk [:$]

Michael

• Moderators

Amy that sounds like fun.

We used to go to the Gulf Coast and wait for the tide to go out. Small pools of water would be left onshore. Then...we would get barefoot, walk through the pools and pick up soft shell crabs.

Neatest thing...the crab sheds its shell, the soft shell crab would be sitting right next to the shell it just shed.

I guess the main difference between "digging" and "softshelling" would be, crabs bite when they are still in the "hard stage".

Then, of course, we would bring our catch home, clean 'em up, batter and fry 'em. It's been a long time since we did that. Maybe a while longer because the beaches on the coast in Mississippi are still closed.

• Moderators

Amy that sounds like fun.

We used to go to the Gulf Coast and wait for the tide to go out. Small pools of water would be left onshore. Then...we would get barefoot, walk through the pools and pick up soft shell crabs.

It was fun!

Funny you mention that about the Gulf Coast... My grandparents retired to St Pete FL, and when I was young, we used to go nearby Fort DeSoto...there were a lot of sand bars out there, and we'd swim out to them and "dig" for sand dollars (again, with our feet). They are creepy little things when they are alive....those tenticles sticking out everywhere---eek.

Anyway, funny how much digging I did with my feet my entire life and hadn't even thought about it until now. Maybe that's why I hate shoes.

• Moderators

No shoes, admit it you are just a flower child at heart[;)]

Ha! That's kind of funny if you knew me [:)]

I think I've passed along my detest for shoes to my son, however, much to the dismay of his daycare provider. She HAS to keep shoes on all the kids because of all the wheeled-toys she has around, and he won't keep any on whatsoever. I have to duct tape them every morning just so he can't untie (or un-velcro) them.

Man, I think I am a hillbilly. I've been in denial all these years.... [;)]

No shoes, admit it you are just a flower child at heart[;)]

Ha! That's kind of funny if you knew me [:)]

I think I've passed along my detest for shoes to my son, however, much to the dismay of his daycare provider. She HAS to keep shoes on all the kids because of all the wheeled-toys she has around, and he won't keep any on whatsoever. I have to duct tape them every morning just so he can't untie (or un-velcro) them.

Man, I think I am a hillbilly. I've been in denial all these years.... [;)]

We call that yank-a-billy down here Hog country.

Hardly, I truly meant that as a compliment and I'm sure some lucky guy will figure that one out someday[;)]

Way to hook the Texas guys up I might mention also, you and Trey are the tops Amy[{]

We sure will miss not having you down in Hope[:(]

Just wanted you to know my 3 year old hates foot heaters too[;)]

Speaking of ocean & digging things up, anyone ever dig up angel wings?

http://www.seashells.vg/shell/angelwings.htm

Mom use to live near Tampa, Fl. She is a nurse but her passion was always marine biology. She was walking along beach once and saw remenants of the shell so she KNEW they were nearby.

Ended up finding a spot in the intercoastal waterway. Go there at low tide, go to about knee deep water and start sticking your hand down in the muck. you will find the shell (circular if they are closed and filled with sand) pointing straight up at you. Excavate it a bit, rinse the muck out and toss into bag.

We collected HUNDREDS of these in a single spot. Seems they live several feet below the surface and as they die off, their shells work their way up to the suface of the muck.

Get them home, wash them, bleach them and they are STARK white. glue together, stick a peralized head on top & a garr scale (fish scale) as praying hands and viola, you have a very unique Christmas tree ornament. My wife did our entire tree in them once.

Just something different to dig for when at ocean instead of them yucky (Amy) sand dollars! you also won't be killing a living sand dollar, these are already dead and LONG decomposed. nothing but sand/muck inside the shell.

• Moderators

Coytee,

YES! I love those! Sanibel Island was the favorite spot for shelling...although I'd always called them butterflies. Nice to know their actual name! When the clams are alive, you can see them get washed up to shore then quickly bury themselves in the muck. Great fun!

• Moderators

Picking up angel wings was one of my favorite things to do when I was younger.

My grandparents lived in an area of New Orleans called Chef Menteur. Canals were dredged to build a subdivision behind their house and "angel wings" were readily available.

I was about 10 years old when the canals were dredged and picking up angel wings was my favorite thing to do on weekends. I had about 200 angel wings at one time...I wonder what my mom did with them?