Need some help here....with a logistics issue!!!!

steamer

OK guys,this is a good one.

I think I have my Klipsch LaScala's sold to a guy in

CHINA,yes I know...wow buku shipping costs.

My mission is to get them there UNDAMAGED!

These are my babys and I want them to arrive safe and sound.I am not sure how to proceed here.I know I will not package them myself,and need a professional shipper.

I want to make sure they do it right and will probably try to supervise the actual packaging,if they let me,at least I want to know how they are gonna do it!.

Any suggestions are welcome....HELP!!!!

Greg

Greg, the easiest way is to ship them to someone in the buyer's family in California. Let that person handle the dirty work.

If the buyer does not want this type of drop ship arrangement, find an import/export company in Cedar Rapids that does significant export business to China/Asian rim countries. They will know exactly how to get the Scalas to a business where the buyer will need to get them. The shipping companies will be near the airport.

If he has incredible resources, he could pick them up at customs. Bear in mind you are looking at a 10-20% theft/loss rate on products going to the Asian rim by private shipment.

Greg, the easiest way is to ship them to someone in the buyer's family in California. Let that person handle the dirty work.

If the buyer does not want this type of drop ship arrangement, find an import/export company in Cedar Rapids that does significant export business to China/Asian rim countries. They will know exactly how to get the Scalas to a business where the buyer will need to get them. The shipping companies will be near the airport.

If he has incredible resources, he could pick them up at customs. Bear in mind you are looking at a 10-20% theft/loss rate on products going to the Asian rim by private shipment.

Thankyou,

Now were getting somewhere,good info,I have a place to start now.Any more ideas are welcome!

Greg

And what makes you think they have family members in California? I assume you are referring to the San Francisco area?

Mike

The buyer specificly asked if I would deliver to a local logistics company,no mention of family.

Greg

Rule #1: Get the money up front.

Rule #2: Arranging shipping is the buyer's responsibility.

Rule #3: Get the money up front.

James

not only get the money up front, be very wary of money orders, they can be forged and you will be stuck. A wire may be a good idea, but you will have to give bank info. Paypal is also tough as if teh buyer says that they did not receive the speakers, you wil be charged.

Be very careful here.

Chris

Rule #1: Get the money up front.

Rule #2: Arranging shipping is the buyer's responsibility.

Rule #3: Get the money up front.

James

not only get the money up front, be very wary of money orders, they can be forged and you will be stuck. A wire may be a good idea, but you will have to give bank info. Paypal is also tough as if teh buyer says that they did not receive the speakers, you wil be charged.

Be very careful here.

Chris

Very good info,something I did not think of AND will be aware of.The buyer has refered me to his feedback on Audiogon.Looks ok but anything can be forged.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fb.pl?user=Lindseyf&&&&

what do you guys think?

Greg

Edit:didnt know that once the money was in the paypal account I could forfiet if buyer said he didnt recieve them!

everything sounds on track so far....different story if we were talking about computers or computer software which have export restrictions.

kinda like the idea of having an agent in the states recieve the speakers and have the buyer stage the shippment from the agents residence....if that was an opiton.

everything sounds on track so far....different story if we were talking about computers or computer software which have export restrictions. kinda like the idea of having an agent in the states recieve the speakers and have the buyer stage the shippment from the agents residence....if that was an opiton.

I will check into that with him,guess I ask him to specify an agent or recommend one and go from there.

Thanks,Greg

To China huh. This should mean in about a year we'll be able to buy brand new La Scalas just like yours for about $1000 a pair.[:)]

Have you thought about packaging yet? Even getting them to a export agent will still need crating. Can you build a crate yourself or know someone who can? If money is not the real issue, perhaps a company like Craters and Freighters could handle everything from picking them up, crating and getting them to China?

Get cold hard cash in your hands first.

Could we mention this enough.

Get the money first.

Others have also said it.

Make sure you get paid before you do anything.

What the other guys said about getting paid first. do that

Michael[:)]

I understand the part about cash in hand!!!Thanks

I have to figure out the logistics and that was where I was at a loss.Thanks to you guys I have an idea where to start IF it gets started.

Too bad he couldnt drive halfway like Michael did on the bass bins!Would that mean we would end up in HawaiiLOLThanks Michael.

Great info that has made me think,more is welcome!

Greg

There is more than one issue. If the purchase price of the Scalas exceeds the declaration electronics import value, it will go through customs and be held, a wonderful way to squeeze money out of one/both parties. You could end up holding a $5,000 cutoms storage bill to get the speakers released with the buyer declining to pay it.

Lindsey may also have multiple transactions with multiple people that actually was a single person. There may be a pattern to the praising feeback verbage and leaving the +++++s that is above mere coincidence for a 16 transaction feedback level. The mail is good, but 16 deals with someone in China, and not a SINGLE one has any bumps? It appears he is dealing in stereo interconnects, not an item I would expect to be a normal transaction to the mainland. If he had any serious shipments like yours, I would assume he would want that process duplicated to a T with the Scalas.

I mentioned Cali because the speakers will tranship either from CA or WA. The few friends in town that conduct business to the Far East always tranship to an agent or family member in California to divorce themselves of the difficult end of the shipping.

I know I'm a little leary of these from almost being burned twice on attempted foreign purchases, so this is a devil's advocate point of view. At this point, I'd be wary enough to ask ask for two payments - one for the speaker value and one for the shipping.

As always, YMMV.

Proceed with great caution, and ship nothing untill you know the final transaction is in your account, and approved by your bank. Don't think for a moment that you will out think a scammer, they're job is to cheat you, and some are very good at it. It may be a serious, real offer to buy your speakers, and he may well be an honest man, but never fail to protect yourself, you never know. Good luck, hope everything works out best for you.

Don't you wonder deep down why a guy would go to all the expense to ship in used speakers, instead of buying new, to China, without seeing, or hearing them?