Yet Anothert Heritage Horn Upgrade ?

seti

I have noticed that alot of people here upgrade the top part of their big heritage speakers with the altec 511b and various other horns. The response from these changes has been posted here many times and almost always positive. If you look at PWK and the evolution of the khorn to the jubilee I couldn't help but notice that PWK went with a tractrix horn for the Jubilee. I haven't read anywhere about why this happened but was curious why more forum members hadn't tried klipsch tractrix horns with their khorn la scala or belle bass bins. Which tractrix horns would one use with heritage klipsch? Could we get away with using just one tractrix or would we still need two horns?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am glad you posted this question and I'm not sure why I haven't asked it already. I would like to know where you BUY these horns.

Most of the readily available horns I see are Exponential, Biradial or Constant Directivity.

jc

Well you'd have to use the pro stuff for starters the horns used in refernce ..et al series don't work in the correct freq range. Second is the physical match, most of the horns people upgrade to are an "easier" fit physically and are direct replacemnet given the freq range and the drivers are easily adapted. I am not sure how well the current heritage drivers would mate to the pro horns. Youcould easily use a single horn to replace your squawker/tweeter, Al K's Trachorn is a good example of this, same goes for the Altec VOTT horns you just need a driver that extends from 4 -600Hz on up.

I guess I should have been more specific. I don't have as much knowledge regarding freq ranges and available products which is why I was asking. The jubilee in hope had klipsch professional theater horns.

http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/category1001/picture609907.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/category1001/picture609910.aspx

The Jubilee bass horn seems more heritage in design to me but I could be wrong.

Are the specs that different between la scala, belle, & khorn bass bins to the jubilee?

If the tractrix pro series horns sounded so good with the Jubillee bass bin than why not with other heritage bass bins? Could this be a mod worth investigating and keeping them all klipsch in the process.

Those are amazing looking if I had your skill I would have a pair of Jubilee's already.

My thought was that if PWK eventually went with the tractrix horn than there must have been a good reason for it and if your going to mod klipsch speakers why not try with klipsch horns.

Thanks Mark. Somewhat of a departure from my usual projects. I learned alot and had alot of fun. Kind of a bummer now that they are finished. Back to the main CornScala work now.

JW,

You can do this. A couple tricky procedures, but nothing you cannot handle. Hang tight and as soon as I have time I will put the thread together. In the meantime, download the "Edgar Mid-Horn" article from Erik's site at www. volvotreter.de. This will give you something to start chewing on looking ahead to construction.

Also, I read your comments in the La Scala Horn/Jubilee thread. Have you seen the CAD drawings and exploded views the guy did for the single 12" Jubilee? I have been thinking about adapting this for a single 15"/K-33 if possible. I would like to have a bass horn that would go a tad lower than the La Scala so that I could stay with a fully horn loaded system as opposed to using my new CornScala top section with the direct radiating bottom. I do not want to stray from horn loaded bass if I do not have to, but I want to dig a bit deeper and cannot go back to Khorns for awhile. This would keep the package to a reasonable overall cabinet height as well. I think a single 15" size Jubilee style horn with the new top end I am doing would be a very nice little package. Cool looking in a really nice veneer too!

Thanks Seti. As stated above, I am starting to think about turning away from the direct radiating bass cabinet I am building and doing a modified La Scala bin(can't get any lower, but) or a single driver Jubilee. The full, dual driver Jubilee is just too big for my listening environment. Single 15" with that extra horn leg may be the way.

Thanks D-Man. With the limited tools and equipment I have, it just takes me too long to do this kind of stuff with the type of results I like to obtain for resale. If I had the equipment one REALLY needs to do this kind of thing in a reasonable time, maybe.

Also, even with the improper loading(maybe, who knows), etc. of the K-55 into a 2" throat via the Selenium adaptor, these things sound DAMN good. I had to "decrease" attenuation on the autoformer one notch to bring them into line over the K-400. Just had to try 'em out on the La Scalas. [;)]

You guys are aware that the half height Jubilee will not have enough mouth area to go low without being really "peaky" unless 2 cabs are stacked which forms the "correct" mouth size for the flare rate.

You simply do not have enough mouth area to go low and do it well.

DM