Very Cool Write-Up On PinkFloyd's ANIMALS

Gilbert

Found this while searching for a few LP's, and thought it interesting. If your a Floydian, I think you'll agree with me.......

QUOTE, "The following was culled from various on-line sources....."Roger Waters and David Gilmour composed "Animals" at a time in England when the face of rock music was drastically changing, 1977. Punk music and punk bands were forming everywhere, and they all hated Pink Floyds brand of drawn out, ethereal music - stuff they felt was pompous. Thus, given the times, "Animals" turns out to be a guitar driven album, fairly sparse compositions that despite it all, are also drawn out and ethereal, as only Pink Floyd can be. The middle of this great album courageously contains three quite lengthy songs, much too long winded for radio, thus spoiling the albums commercial viability. Also, "Animals" strangely opens and closes with two very short and pleasant acoustic songs about love gone bad with "Pigs on the Wing," parts 1 & 2, which somehow works very well with the overall vibe of the album. Call it a settling of the nerves. In many instances, "Animals" is fairly stripped down, with David Gilmours soothing voice completely missing, and Richard Wright writing absolutely nothing, thus nixing past creative keyboard parts. The possessive Roger Waters writes all lyrics, and the concept of "Animals" is entirely his. In his harshest manner, he rips late 1970s society through the use of three types of animals: Dogs, the materialistic and glib "yuppies" of a decade later, concerned only with wealth, good times, power, and their own well being. "Pigs" are no less flattering, high positioned and self-righteous, they preach and dispense their high minded moralist views from atop the worlds ranks. Then on to "Sheep," the aimless and docile masses who get used and abused by the more powerful Dogs and Pigs. Its pretty acrimonious stuff, and hating lyrics like "all alone and dying of cancer" dont do much to lighten the mood. Weary of the corrupt and crumbling society surrounding him, Roger Waters went on a rampage. Political foes, economic hardships, and sleazy low-lifes all get their medicine from the non-apologetic Waters, within the confines of these thematically devised tunes. Though he writes good, astute, observational lyrics, Waters is a bit of a "Dog" himself, and he often comes across as self-imposing and self-righteous as the album moves on. Ultimately, "Animals" is great because of the actual MUSIC. Enter David Gilmour, thankfully rescuing this one man monopoly on creativity. Gilmour remains his melodic self, pushing forth the fairly paltry compositions with his brand of tunefulness and soaring guitars. On "Dogs," an interesting moment occurs after Waters cheerily advises "have a good drown/dragged down by the stone." The word "stone" is then repeated countless time through a haze of electronic muffling, as dogs bark chillingly in the background and a synth sizzles quietly. Music like this is not heard everyday, and Pink Floyd should be commended for seriously reviving their music and changing with the times a bit back in 77. Their days of singing about lazy nature scenes or fairy tale scenarios where one merely observes are long over with on "Animals." Its now socio-political music with a harder edge, all run by Roger Waters and David Gilmour. Theres a sense of purpose and direction from Waters on "Animals" that is eerily 1-dimensional, but its a prelude to an even better concept album to come. Though its not his creative apex (that would be "The Wall"), "Animals" is astoundingly excellent, profound music, and the continuation of the civil war within this band."

Personnel: David Gilmour - Guitars, bass, vocals, talkbox, synthesizer.....Roger Waters - Vocals, bass, acoustic guitar, rhythm guitar, vocoder, tape effects, sleeve design.....Richard Wright - Hammond organ, Fender Rhodes piano, Yamaha piano, ARP synthesizer, backing vocals.....Nick Mason - Drums, percussion, tape effects, sleeve graphics.

The tracks on this STILL SEALED Pink Floyd "Animals" LP are: ~ Pigs On The Wing (Part 1).....Dogs.....Pigs (Three Different Ones).....Sheep.....Pigs On The Wing (Part 2)." END QUOTE

Always loved this album, the politics of life as only Rodger Water can describe. The guy writting this was obviously not a big fan of Waters. But I surely am. Gilmour too. Waters' ego is bigger than King Kong, but his music can still give me goosebumps. The Final Cut is one of my all time favorites, as is Animals, as is the Wall, as is Meddle, as is Dark Side of the Moon, as is anything PinkFloyd with Water's.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a big Floyd fan. Agree on " The Final Cut " i enjoy that a lot. Just lately i have gotten a better appreciation of "The Division Bell" and it is always in rotation, i think this album really shows Gilmours enormous talent.

Thank kew, Gilbert - very cool write-up and I agree full ditto to all the above comments. Animals is one of the great under-rated PF ventures and I still enjoy it (as Meddle and Atom Heart Mother). I love the question and answer guitar riff at the end of Sheep - quintessentially pure rock and roll - got to love it.

They just don't write this kind of music anymore.

Thank goodness The Division Bell continued where Animals left off...Pink Floyd still at its best! I like all their albums.

Waters has been playing with the idea of rejoining Gilmore's Pink Floyd (if David will allow him to). It would be interesting to see where this reunion will lead the band, or if the same old tempers will flare up and cause yet more distrust...stay tuned!

Interesting, I listened to Brahm's Violin Concerto last might and was enchanted by it's beauty, then I listened to Animals and was reminded why I dislike it. I was wondering while hearing it who was responsible for the monstrosity - Waters, that figures. I love the old Pink Floyd before DSOTM (their worst effort until The Wall). Like many of my favorite bands, Pink Floyd too seems to have said all they had to say in their first few offerings and then failed to come up with anything since. Moody Blues and Z Z Top come to mind, as by the 80's they sounded almost like the same band.

CDs, commercial mass market radio, MTV, music videos, IPods, profit driven production companies, and what seems to be an alarmingly short attention span of the modern young 'music' listener these days - all have contributed to the dissolution of creativity, music, and soul from the current music scene.

The mid 70's was the end of a ten year era of worthy music. Since then, the extraordinary disposable income of teenagers has driven and dumbed down the entire entertainment industry; modern movies, music,... these are just too stupid now for me as an adult to enjoy.

I appreciate the smilely, but Enuff said...? I think this is a case of not enuff read...

If you felt my contribution was out of line because it presented a minority opinion, consider this: the review criticized the album, mostly the influence of Waters. Therefore, all the positive replies were actually contrarian to the review contents - mine was the one that actually supported the negative points in the review. Did no one notice that?.[6]

Some people like only Classical, I know some. Some people love Hip Hop, etc. etc. etc......There is music for everyone's ear's, all you have to do is clear the mind and open the ears. All that matters is that you gave it your best listening, before you developed an opinion., and it's your right to have one, and your right to like or dislike any style of music you want. Just give it a honest to goodness listening before you decide.

Paul, do you like the Final Cut album? Just curious, I think it's an excellent album, but then agian, I do like the animals lp too.

Animals is certainly not an album that will leave you wavering. I think you either love it or hate it - there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Personally - I am in the love it category and would agree as to it being one of the best, if not the actual best of the PF albums.

Now I should say that most of my friends are not all that enamoured with it - and they all seem to prefer "Wish you were here" which mystifies me!! WYWH is a nice album - but Animals blows it away for me.

Course there is an even better Water's Album - Amused to Death. Now that really IS the most under-rated album ever written - IMHO and all that.

Pauln would hate it for sure though.

I have no issues with pauln's response. He's certainly entitled to his opinion of Animals just as much as I or anyone else has for that matter.

And I totally agree with pauln's last statement how the mid '70s was the end of an era of noteworthy music and movies, etc. etc. The dumbing of the entire entertainment industry today is at hand (with very few exceptions)...how many really great comedies are made today that can rival the likes of Caddyshack? Not too many, I'm afraid.

Interesting, I listened to Brahm's Violin Concerto last might and was enchanted by it's beauty, then I listened to Animals and was reminded why I dislike it. I was wondering while hearing it who was responsible for the monstrosity - Waters, that figures. I love the old Pink Floyd before DSOTM (their worst effort until The Wall). Like many of my favorite bands, Pink Floyd too seems to have said all they had to say in their first few offerings and then failed to come up with anything since. Moody Blues and Z Z Top come to mind, as by the 80's they sounded almost like the same band.

CDs, commercial mass market radio, MTV, music videos, IPods, profit driven production companies, and what seems to be an alarmingly short attention span of the modern young 'music' listener these days - all have contributed to the dissolution of creativity, music, and soul from the current music scene.

The mid 70's was the end of a ten year era of worthy music. Since then, the extraordinary disposable income of teenagers has driven and dumbed down the entire entertainment industry; modern movies, music,... these are just too stupid now for me as an adult to enjoy.

And there are some that refuse to do the work involved in looking beyond MTV (not even checking out MTV2, etc), or who you're seeing at the music awards show to find the creative, interesting, and unique stuff being made now. And there are those that are in a timewarp, set in their ways/tastes that cannot let them move forward. Or who are so bullheaded in their opinions that they cannot move beyond a certain point, type, genre, etc. to discover that there are indeed diamonds out there amongst the coal.

]pauln, i surely was'nt trying to disparage you, some of your comments i absolutely agree with . It takes a lot of work to sort through the dross that has been offered up as music, and that is especially rellevant today. But the journey is well worth the effort. And i certainly agree with your comments on Brahms Violin Concerto. I am 55 years old and refuse to get stuck in the rut, i listen to and enjoy "stuff" that even makes my sons eyebrows raise. Hell, i've even started to enjoy some forms of RAP!!! How can you ignore it when artist's you have grown up listening to have embraced the genre. Nuff said.[;)]

I think Bob Dylan said it best "oh the times they are a changing" I agree with what everyone has said. Being 54 myself I have a wide variety of stuff I listen to, from classical to modern day. I stopped paying attention to "who" and started listening to "what". If it pleases my ear it doesn't matter what genre or decade. Many of my discs were purchased for a single cut. It is not that today has brought about any new revelation, but that the digital medium has made it more available.

just my .02

Jack