unfavorable cornwall vs klipschorn comparison

Mycroft

ha guys,

found this old brochure in my files.hope it will be of some help. i got this in the mid 70's the best i can remember. i'm alittle confused. on the front page in the opening paraghaph these are listed as cornwall II's. can anyone straighten this out for me. i thought the II's came out much later.

bigdnfay

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey BigBusa... What's with your local weather?

You need to see it each time you post? Lordy!

I love NY, especially New York City, but for the

love of St. Oprah, seeing the Albany, NY forecast

every BigBusa post is a bit scary... Perhaps a

small shot of some ceramic cats on a speaker like

others have done...heh...anything... but your city

weather forecast?

kh

Ok, so last night I swapped in my K55Vs in place of the K52Ks, which I believe creates what was one of the slightly eariler Cornwall I configurations, right? I'm thinking that mine must be very late because they also had the B-3 networks in them.

Anyway, I dropped 'em both in (had to remove a small amount of padding behind the driver to make it fit) and had a listen.

I didn't have a lot of time to listen to them, but they didn't sound _that_ much different than the K52Ks, certainly not as they did in the khorns themselves. Which has me thinking.... why? I don't recall the khorn cross over frequencies right off the top of my head, but are they using a different portion of the spectrum in each of the speakers? Can the size of the horn have such a huge impact?

A lister here has graciously invited me over to his house sometime this week so I'll be able to give another pair a listen (I think both of pair of I's and II's even!) so I'll have a report then.

While I love the bottom end of the Corns, I'm starting to think about La Scalas...

Well, I am probably one of the more picky listeners on here and have been through my share of high-end false leads. Been down the high power solid state path, the high power PP tube path, the low power solid state path, the all triode path, and the super low power, single-ended triode path.

I have also listened to a fair amount of speakers as well. I can tell you that the Cornwalls I HAVE sure dont sound like you describe them in your abode. And I am in a very small listening room so it is easy for the bass to be over loaded. That being said, with my Linn LP-12/Basik Plus/K9 -> Cary SLP-70 Phono -> Creek Passive -> Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs -> 1977 Cornwalls Alnico/CTS drivers (Belden Speaker/IC from www.DIYCable.com), I am getting some of the most natural, extended, open midrange and top end I have ever had in this room. OF course, the bass is very good as well but can get to be bit much depending. And all this is dependent on source material as some guitar oriented indie stuff can become painful through ye olde mid-horn. Also, I have the extremely simple B Crossover that appears not to harm the signal very much at all compared to most crossovers I have heard.

I have not heard the Klipschorn since the 70s, but I dont remember it being all that much better in the top end... Believe it or not, it was being played with an all LINN setup with the old Linn amp and preamp from that time (and LP-12 with Ittok).

I would like to hear some Klipschorns with tubes or ss, however. If someone is in the North Carolina area, drop me a mail if interested.

kh

f>s>

bigdnfay,

The first production models from 1959 till the mid 60's were all vertical horn mounted Cornwalls and not designated as II's. After that date the vertical horns were mostly available as special orders and designated as II's. I know the vertical II designated models were available through 1972. I have a pair of 71 Verticals and a pair 85 I's.

There was a recent purchase of 1974 vertical horn mounted Cornwalls that did not contain the II designation. The Cornwall appears to be one Klipsch model that has had the most variations during its production run.

btw - sent you a PM.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 11-12-2001 at 06:38 PM

mobilehomeless I'll nix the weather forecast if you start using the same font in your posts as everyone else. Smile.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - Going back soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

I know, maybe if everyone on here adds their local

weather to their signature, we can get the entire

forecast for the US and perhaps Europe and Canada if

lucky.

Using verdana seems a small price to pay to eliminate

my Albany nightmares... Agreed. Although, I am not

quite sure the two are comparable in the bandwidth

and presumptuousness department.

kh

• 3 months later...

I hope that I don't make anyone angry.

I think that it was in 1974 when I went to a dealer to buy my first pair of LaScalas, after growing up listening to my neighbors Klipschorns.

I was being cheap and went home with a pair of Cornwalls. I kept them for one week, but couldn't take it any more. I brought them back and traded them in for the LaScalas.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

I guess I am a sucker for "decidedly unacceptable levels of 2cd order harmonic distortion" since I find the Cornwall I one of the most musical loudspeakers I have ever heard. After sitting next to, in front of, and between, fully horn loaded PA systems by the likes of Altec and JBL for close to 25 years run by 200-400watts of ear piercing Crown and Phase Linear solid state, I seem to be welcoming this gross distortion (on top of ny lowly SET amp's horrifying distortion) as a welcome relief.

I guess I have a lot to look forward to when I get some fully loaded horns. I only wish I had Mr. Warren's "measurement ears" to realize the full level of my misery.

Perhaps, some day, if I dare be so lucky, I will hear his amazing horns and system. OF course, this is unlikey, but one must be allowed to dream.

As is, I remain gleefully ignorant of the specs, distortions, and totally unacceptable sound. It's a wonder I can tell the difference between Christian McBride and Ray Brown...

kh

ps - In all honesty, I have never liked bass reflex cabinets either, but damn if these Cornwalls, at least within my system, dont do far better than any bass reflex design I have encountered in the past.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-17-2002 at 06:07 PM

Mr. Warren expounds before deleting of post: "I have no emotion either way regarding the CW or the current systems I own, they are all embodiments of a particular design philosophy. I understand the components and the engineering compromises made."

Ahhhh...Sounds like Music to me!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-18-2002 at 02:49 PM

We love our Klipschorns(77)and Cornwall Is(81).I have wanted to try the Cornwalls in the living room,but have never gotten around to movin that much weight again and don't really want to find how they compare side by side.

They both have a unique sound of their own and their own personality depending on the room,electronics,ect.

I will agree that our K-Horns are wonderful to listen to(have never listened to their equal),the Cornwalls are as close as we can get in sound to their big brother without buying La Scalas.

I must take back some of my comments about mixing direct radiators and horns. In the mean time I bought some Forte II's. At least in a small room, they work very well.

On the other hand, I don't doubt that the difference in sensitivity between the K-Horn and Cornwalls, and room placement, can make A-B tests very difficult.

Gil

Mobile---When you come to Lima you'll be able to hear Altec and JBL done right. Bean Counter is bringing his JBL-Edgars with a Scott preamp and DIY 45 amps; I'm bringing the 605As, don't know what amp, maybe I'll use Kurt Chang's TriPath with passive volume controls and really freak people out.

Kelly,

heh, when you're done in the 'midwest' Lima event, take another two days to drive northwest to the f> REAL midwest f>and you can listen to Khorns and 300Bs that will induce musical ecstasy in Minnesota.

The REAL midwest. Really in the mid part of the country.

f>

freekin ubbidoobie

This message has been edited by Randy Bey on 02-19-2002 at 08:05 AM