HOPE report - from a "new guy"

Sheesh - where do I begin? I JUST got back from an 18 hour day - left this morning at 5:15 AM, to make it in time for today's factory tour. Folks, this company has GOT IT GOING ON! Having worked in a VERY small cabinet shop last summer, I am completely and utterly impressed at what Klipsch is doing - it is MOST impressive. The quality of the finishes that come out of that plant are sunning, to say the least.

But already, I digress. It's not easy to spell out the whole day, so I'll hit a flash of personal highlights:

1) Trey commented about the guys on the group as a "family". You know what? I sure felt like a member. I have been involved in many hobbies, and been to a lot of related functions, but the forum members and Klipsch ARE a special group.

2) In no particular order, please let me acknowledge the following folks who I personally met and appreciated their comraderie - and CERTAINLY I apologize for missing a few...

PMSUMMER, SKONOPA, TERRY, COYTEE, AUDIODAD, BEC, MICHAEL CRITES, MICK BELL, FINI, DADDY DEE, TREY, STEVE, ROY, SEADOG, DAMON PAYNE......you guys are ALL GREAT, THANKS for making me feel welcome!

3) And finally, that ever-so-important list of THINGS I LEARNED:

a) Paul Klipsch was a remarkable person with incredible foresight. Long live his memory.'Nuff said.

B) Klipsch should be proud of their employees - including the woman (sorry I do not know her name but thanked her) who made the wonderful BBQ this evening.

c) Anechoic chambers are meant to be stood in for only a brief time, after which "deafening silence" becomes pretty scary...

d) The Jubilee is the BEST speaker I have ever heard. Yes, yes, yes. I think COYTEE would agree with this.

e) The 60th anniversary K-Horn is an absolute work of art; unbelievable!! They EVEN printed "Klipsch" on the crossover caps, as though they were manufactured by Klipsch. What do you think of that, Dean?

f) The Klipsch museum is a slice of history, and MUST be seen by EVERY Klipsch fan, period.

g) MacIntosh tube amps are MMM MMM good, especially when powering K-horns with modified crossovers.

h) 105dB music is NOT loud when it is clean; in fact, it's quite listenable.

i) Building Cornscalas and auditioning them is great fun. Thanks for letting me be part of it, Bob!

j) And finally, some painful realities; keep in mind these are MY opinions only. After auditioning a number of speakers in the listening room at the plant:

1) LaScala has LUSH midrange, but simply puts out muddy bass, period.

2) RF-83's are very nice, and have more bass than I imagined, but are dynamically compressed.

3) The Heresy III is SURPRISINGLY excellent, rich with bass. What a makeover!!

4) The Cornwall III KICKED EVERY one of these speakers in the bee-hind. It is rich, it goes deep, it is balanced, and it is beautiful.

Well, that's all from me now. This was one of THE most enjoyable day trips I have ever had, and the people made it even better. It was great to match names to faces, and I look forward to talking with many of you again!!

Chris Munson

Richardson, TX

2) RF-83's are very nice, and have more bass than I imagined, but are dynamically compressed.

4) The Cornwall III KICKED EVERY one of these speakers in the bee-hind. It is rich, it goes deep, it is balanced, and it is beautiful.

dynamically compressed [:'(] the highs where not as good? or is it not in your face enough?

I knew I should have saved up a bit more and brought the Cornwall III !!!!

The new horns in the heresy/cornwalls are remarkable, truly a leap forward. The bass in the Cornwalls is deep and tight, doesn't sound like a ported speaker. I actually liked the Cornwallls better than the Lascalas. Of course we were listening to these through a $4000 tube amp and a high end CD player.

I cam home and listened to the same track on my RF-63s that we got to hear on the Jubilee. Yawn.

Your RF-83s are excellent speakers, but if you get the chance sometime, try to audition a set of cornwalls.

Dean:

IIRC, in speaking with Roy there was no EQ on there. The crossover was actually a bunch of cap/coil/resistor groups "cobbled" together, partially mounted to a PCB and partially not. Roy told us that it was 24dB/octave, he really believed in rolling it off this way to keep the drivers from non-interaction. HIghs were crisp, vocals were lush, and with that kind of bass, you need NO subwoofer. It was quite amazing.

Oh - and on another point, somone who was there last year and heard the Jubilee as active commented that there was "very little difference" between the passive and active configuration, sound wise. Sounds like a hearty recommendation.

Finally, I openly admit I was both surprised and elated to see that the "typical crossover" networks are being replaced with much, much better units; good PCB's, plenty of Mylar caps, and focus on detail and better rolloff curves. Seems they are beginning to recognize the value of decent networks, and I congratulate them.

Sorry you could not be there, I look forward to getting together one day.

Chris

c) Anechoic chambers are meant to be stood in for only a brief time, after which "deafening silence" becomes pretty scary...

Agreed. Due to lingering effects from Fri. night, some members were having equilibrium challenges before entering the chamber.

Chris,

It was very nice meeting you, and glad to be of service with the cabs. Seems like I hardly ever get to screw anymore.

Best regards,

Terry

"Oh - and on another point, somone who was there last year and heard

the Jubilee as active commented that there was "very little difference"

between the passive and active configuration, sound wise. Sounds like a

hearty recommendation."

Chris, I don't know who made this statement, but I wouldn't put too much faith in listening tests one year apart. Presumably the listener had had several listening experiences in the intervening period, nullifying any comparison.

I do know that last year Roy was adamant about using the electronic delay, not only on the Jubilees, but on his personal Khorns. I think his reasoning was the significant timing difference between the signal coming straight from the mid horn and the folder horn bass bin.

His assembly of a usable passive network was at the request of several Forum members who wish to obtain a kind of Jubilee 'kit' for home use.

Michael

Hey guys:

An enlightening day at Hope, for sure.....

Bill:

Dean started far before me on this crossover stuff, I think everyone would agree he is the "father" of upgrades here - and deserves it; I learned from him. Regardless, sure glad that Klipsch is paying attention.

Terry:

We'll do it again. Sorry to hear about your lack of screwing. You need to bring an electric driver next time, or get those forearms worked out. Enjoyed meeting you, you guys sure know how to cut up.

Damon:

Gotcha' covered. I need to find a suitable box, figure out shipping, and capture the CAD for the front panel. It may be a few weeks, but I will help you out. I'll be in touch this week sometime, I am spread pretty thin amongst everything I have going on, but I will not forget about this.

Colter:

I only added that as a comment since I felt it was "useful" feedback. I agree that a year's worth of time can certainly color a perception, but sometimes all we have is other people's experiences to go by; I did not get the commenter's name. Regardless, I liked what I heard - and still stand by the comment that it's the best speaker I've ever heard.

Chris

Dean started far before me on this crossover stuff, I think everyone would agree he is the "father" of upgrades here - and deserves it...

I was actually kind of late into the game, and I think if anyone around here is worthy of carrying any kind of network title it would have to be Al. I started with Reference, and I can't even take much credit for anything done with those as it was 'Leok' who came up with the sweet little resistor mod in the notch circuit for the RF-7.

"...WHY do you think they are putting much better crossovers in the speakers these days?.."

I don't think they're better at all -- just a different approach. In my system and room, I actually prefer the Type A over the AK-4. I believe what network works best is largely system/room/music dependant. Regardless of the circuit chosen -- should be built with the better available parts. I don't consider Mylars to be in that category.

I stand corrected, though certainly I have had less exposure to the histroy of it all. I still appreciate you assisting me though, dean - no intent to short Al in any way.

On mylars - agreed - not the best but better than the "usual" offering. I don't unfortunately see a day when metallized props or "silver/oils" will be the norm, not to mention better inductors.

Chris

Michael, I am the culprit of the comment and had you been hear you may have told Roy the same thing as he did a fantastic job with that network on the fly. I think he told me the X-Over was at 400 if memory serves me and I do listen a lot. Just ask anyone who observed me in the K-Horn/Mac room at the farmhouse. I think at one point Richard (aka Coytee) asked me if I had ven left that room[:o] LOL

Of course an passive is not going to be able to keep up with active crossover but for a hard network and the price I think Roy nailed it down pretty good. We listened to several cuts but Roy did play that very same Hotel California cut and mind you we only heard one speaker this time but the room reaction was the very same as last year[;)]

Roy ran them straight off the big Crown's and with a 50 dollar Emerson CD player and once again they rocked the house as no other 2 way to the best of my knowledge ever has!

Michael, I am the culprit of the comment and had you been hear you may have told Roy the same thing as he did a fantastic job with that network on the fly. I think he told me the X-Over was at 400 if memory serves me and I do listen a lot. Just ask anyone who observed me in the K-Horn/Mac room at the farmhouse. I think at one point Richard (aka Coytee) asked me if I had ven left that room[:o] LOL

Of course an passive is not going to be able to keep up with active crossover but for a hard network and the price I think Roy nailed it down pretty good. We listened to several cuts but Roy did play that very same Hotel California cut and mind you we only heard one speaker this time but the room reaction was the very same as last year[;)]

Roy ran them straight off the big Crown's and with a 50 dollar Emerson CD player and once again they rocked the house as no other 2 way to the best of my knowledge ever has!

In an attempt to not understate my preference for the "boot in the chest" of a bass reflex bin, and attempting not to overstate horn loaded LF..........

I listened to the Jub Sat. afternoon. There are many great mid- top horns/drivers out there, so I focused on the LF bin. To my ear, there was a wee bit of boom. (from a horn loaded bass bin??) BUT, it was the only bass horn that I have listened to......that had some slam to it.

I just might like the thing!

No, I do like it. It has accuracy and still slams! Or, it slams with accuracy.

tc

The Jub with the active crossover left me with a dropped jaw in awe of what I was hearing for the first time. This year I was impressed, but not as overwhelmed.

Maybe it had nothing to do with the different networks, but rather the effect of hearing such a great speaker for the first time.