I pledge...

I pledge to spend more time enjoying music and movies with my Klipsch speakers than modifying them, writing or reading about them, or even daydreaming about them. There have been too many instances when on the Forum that I stumble across that 'Right Now...' thread about what I'm listening to and my answer is sadly- 'nothing- I have four complete systems and I'm sitting in silence with my computer on'.

I pledge to spend more money on CD's, LP's and DVD's for source material than I spend on more speakers or associated equipment. ( I should, I have a TON of gear here).

EDIT- Had to add one-

I pledge to spend more time and money listening to live music of a variety of types (rock, classical, jazz) in a variety of venues, so that I know what real music is SUPPOSED to sound like.

I pledge to not give advice about speakers I have not heard, techniques I have not tried, or theories that are merely my theories (unless I specifically identify them as such).

I pledge to let others on the Forum have their preferences and opinions without saying anything deragatory directly at them.

I pledge to help and encourage newcomers into our happy Forum family.

Anybody with me? I just needed to hear myself say these words....

Michael

I pledge to spend more time enjoying music and movies with my Klipsch speakers than modifying them, writing or reading about them, or even daydreaming about them. There have been too many instances when on the Forum that I stumble across that 'Right Now...' thread about what I'm listening to and my answer is sadly- 'nothing- I have four complete systems and I'm sitting in silence with my computer on'.

I pledge to spend more money on CD's, LP's and DVD's for source material than I spend on more speakers or associated equipment. ( I should, I have a TON of gear here).

I pledge to not give advice about speakers I have not heard, techniques I have not tried, or theories that are merely my theories (unless I specifically identify them as such).

I pledge to let others on the Forum have their preferences and opinions without saying anything deragatory directly at them.

I pledge to help and encourage newcomers into our happy Forum family.

Anybody with me? I just needed to hear myself say these words....

Michael

I used to spend more time on the computer in silence. Buy a tuner. Make sure you have a remote. If you have any decent channels you can always just turn it on and don't have to put any thought into picking a CD. Once in the habit you will have it on all of the time. Another cool thing to look into is building a music server. You can have streaming music all the time.

I would have the stereo on all the time if my wife didn't complain.

Chris

Michael,

I sit in front of the computer(in the sweet spot) and cruise the web,read this forum,and dream of new mods.The system is on always,my tube bill is gonna be high!

I got the part about listening but not dreamin' covered.

BTW,good pledge.I want to see more posts by you in the "Right this minute thread"![:D]

Greg

As many times as I have posted pictures of my room, I'm sure some have noticed the laptop sitting on the coffee table in front of the highly modified Cornwalls. One of the main reason I bought the laptop was just to listen to my stereo in the "sweet spot" all the time. Just ask my bro jt1stcav... I AWAYS have my stereo on.

Not to mention that I have a 30' coax cable running from the Audigy2 card in my server PC in the bedroom to my stereo, which I have total control over via "Remote Desktop" on my laptop. About 5000 cd quality MP3s and probably somewhere around 1500 various CDs, I think I have my bases covered.

Oh, did I mention that later this week or early next week I'll be further modifying my Cornwalls with the addition of a pair of Altec 902-8B drivers and converting my modded Type B (now CS II) networks over to a 2-way to run the Altecs from 400Hz - 20kHz?! [H]

Ah... Good times! [<:o)]

Thanks for the tips guys. The problem isn't about equipment, it's just turning the durn things on and enjoying them. For instance- I posted just last week that I sat in my Coaster Recliners and listened attentively to an entire LP- BOTH sides, for the first time in ages. Glorious!

When on the computer I have a HK 730 within arms reach, and in back of me is my iMac which currently has 3185 songs on it. They are linked and play through a nice set of Dahlquist speakers. The CD library is also in my office so there's music aplenty.

I don't know why I don't turn something on more often. I have an entire Yamaha remote system with RB3's in my bedroom, but usually just switch on the 13" tv on sleep to go to bed to. I could be listening to one of 5 CD's from my bed.

I think I have an attention disorder....

M

awesome.

While I have some mods on the horizon, have been holding off and have just been doing some preping and planning.

I've been re-ripping my CD's over the last few months and catching up on listen. Think I am half way there with about 180 CD's to go.

Mike, Who are you kidding? No more speaker buys, right, No jumping in on posts, sure, No bantering back and forth, ok, this will last a week tops. Hard to teach an old dawg new tricks, so don't, carry on the way things are, are they that bad, doubt it! I go days at a time and don't play the stereo, nothing wrong with that. Sometimes Silence is Golden, that's not a bad thing. You do what you do, you like all the things you mentioned, so do them, now and then things get a little heated, that's human nature, last time I looked, we're all human here.Thank God for everyday you wake up, and enjoy those days, and don't worry about pledges, that's not what Mike is about.......................

Well said Michael! I shall also be doing more listening (the bulb for my 60" Sony projector finally went after 3yrs of heavy duty watching) seems that listening in all sense of the word is a good thing, but I will be missing my DVD concerts for a bit until that new bulb arrives.

The suggestion to see if there is another med to relieve the tinnitus is a good one

Best of Luck!

Actually I'm on the only drug of this class without other even nastier side effects. Hopefully it's just for a few more months though. And I can feel the tinnitus peak with each pill, so there's just a couple hours each day when it's bad. But it is a nuisance having this noise in my head all the time.

competes with the voices, you know. [;)]

Nice pledge Michael. I have forced myself to sit in the living room with the LS, so I can just listen to music. Since my youngest is home from college, we have be catching up on some of our favorite classical CDs.

My Heresys are in the bedroom where the computer is located, but I often just leave the music off. Silence IS Golden sometimes. Nothing at all wrong with the quiet. I can hear the birds outside my window that way.

Bruce

Gary, after seeing the demise of MTV, I figured it was only a matter of time before even

streaming music became commercial ridden.

They would have installed the antennae system on my 2005 Accord for No Charge- I told them no way!

Really I don't listen to hardly any radio- preferring CD's and now LP's again. For years and years I only had an integrated amp and no tuner at all. I just hate talk overs and commercials.

Michael

Radios? Tuners? What are these strange things you talk about? [:P]

The last two HT receivers that I bought, including this Pioneer Elite I have now, I wouldn't have the first clue if the tuners in them work or not. Same thing goes for the Clarion headunit out in my Miata. When I installed it, I conveniently forgot to connect the antenna.

I hate hearing the dang radio on at work. Every stinking morning I have to hear those idiots MJ & BJ jabbering away for hours on end, yacking over the music, and then all of the stupid commercials.

BTW, I feel the same way about TV as well.