People who drive automatics with 2 feet?

meagain

Does anyone here drive, or know someone that drives automatic cars with 2 feet? I'm not talking about the types that rides the brakes (drives with brake lights on), but actually has their left foot hoovering over the brake and uses that foot for brakeing while lifting the right from the gas.

My husband does this. I find it disturbing.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the damndest thing! Drives me nuts even after all these years. There was no driver ed component in his highschool so he was taught by his father who apparently did some racing at the time. Husband claims that it's safer cuz his foot doesn't have to travel the 4" or so from the gas to the brake. The left foot is ready to go at all times and hence he claims he can technically stop faster than 1-footers.

It seems to make for a jerky, harder ride. His braking & acceleration seems more pronounced and there is less coasting. It's not extreme to the point it's dangerous really - but it's there. I feel it.

We argue about this. He claims to be scientifically in the right.

Interesting topic. I received a 98% in my drivers ed at a very large suburban high school here in Indy. Here's a paragraph from one of the web sites I perused using Braking Techniques as search criteria. More technical info can be found under 'reaction time, braking'. I'll post a link momentarily. Was unable to find any study comparing the mechanical portion of the reaction time for the two methods, but nearly every study used the single right-foot technique in it's testing, leading to credence that it would be the preferred method.

Brake Use

Generally, while braking or steering left foot

support on the footrest or floor will supply body stability, resulting

in safer, more consistent control.

Braking should be completed before gear changing

occurs.

It's the damndest thing! Drives me nuts even after all these years. There was no driver ed component in his highschool so he was taught by his father who apparently did some racing at the time. Husband claims that it's safer cuz his foot doesn't have to travel the 4" or so from the gas to the brake. The left foot is ready to go at all times and hence he claims he can technically stop faster than 1-footers.

It seems to make for a jerky, harder ride. His braking & acceleration seems more pronounced and there is less coasting. It's not extreme to the point it's dangerous really - but it's there. I feel it.

We argue about this. He claims to be scientifically in the right.

Buy him a standard transmission car, that will stop that..........

A 5 speed Corvette, or Porsche 911 will cure that...........

Here's a site for a racing school

http://www.leftfootbraking.com/howwhy.htm

'would you type with one hand if you had two?" is one of their slogans- afraid this one is going to be on hubby's side.

I might counter that the effects of the miniscule difference in the mechanical response time would be much greater at the higher speeds of racing cars. Does he also insist on taking the 'racer's line' on interstate ramps to keep speed up? Does he travel at the posted safe speed at all times?

If he's as manly of driver as he purports to be, what on earth is he doing in a vehicle with automatic transmission anyway?

When travelling with passengers in a passenger vehicle, some attention should be paid to the comfort of the occupants. Perhaps more dangerous that the lag time from moving the foot from accelerator to brake would be any distraction from stereo, cell phone, or conversation. So if he claims there is a safety motive, ask him to forgo all the previous niceties. Oh, and no beverages in the car either, might take his attention off the road for a split second. And two hands on the wheel at ALL times to maximize control in the invent of an evasive manouver.

Does anyone here drive, or know someone that drives automatic cars with 2 feet? I'm not talking about the types that rides the brakes (drives with brake lights on), but actually has their left foot hoovering over the brake and uses that foot for brakeing while lifting the right from the gas.

My husband does this. I find it disturbing.

i used to ....

i have kinda given that up due to not racing SCCA in years

that and attending the Jeff Barber School of Racing....was 20 years ago ....

Have some friends who claim the same thing, I take a driving course every 2 years, (work requires it) both for speed and agility, I can accelerate and decelerate more quickly through agility course just using right foot on and off gas pedal without braking at all except in hard turns. My experience is that left footed braking in normal driving really doesn't do anything and can lead to that all too common rear end bump at a traffic light when the right foot accelerates too soon. Safer to use right foot on brake, keeps it away from accelerator in traffic.

Have some friends who claim the same thing, I take a driving course every 2 years, (work requires it) both for speed and agility, I can accelerate and decelerate more quickly through agility course just using right foot on and off gas pedal without braking at all except in hard turns. My experience is that left footed braking in normal driving really doesn't do anything and can lead to that all too common rear end bump at a traffic light when the right foot accelerates too soon. Safer to use right foot on brake, keeps it away from accelerator in traffic.

Its obviously quicker for you when you learned and use the one foot method everyday. There are some certain aspects that are better for two feet braking, mostly for racing. But there is some really good things like the the reaction time is quicker. I remember mercedes benz started using led for the brake lights which speed reaction time .15 seconds to the driver which going at 65 mph meant stopping 15 feet shorter, yeah thats a hit or miss in most cases. If you did it everyday like my highschool bus driver, it is just as smooth and quicker. The thing is most people get lazy. If you ever watch racedrivers, they never have their heel on the floor. They always suspend their feet, using the ball of the feet to modulate the gas and brake instead of most people using the toes to gas and brake, most pivot. I find using that method as my feet get tired too.....

There are other methods driving methods to be smoother on the road. One is to use the opposite hand to turn. Say you are making a right hand turn, most people use their right hand to pull the steering wheel down. Race car drivers use their left to pull up as that is more smoother. Remember race car drivers are all about smoothness not breaking the grip on their tires like it it looks cools in the movies.

Another one is never to release the gas pedal quickly in a turn when your already skidding. Old porsches use to be a prime example but every car to a degree has the problem. It goes to the fact that when in a skid and release the gas to fast, the balance of the car is disturbed even more causing more skidding.

Oh and I forgot powerbraking is used to get the best acceleration times from 0 mph. Power braking is using the left foot to hold onto the brake while the right gases up the engine as fast as you can (as to not hurt the engine and brakes) and with some practice you can lower your acceleration times by a few tenths of a second. You want to fully clamp down on the brakes as if you do not you will move the car. Its a bit easier on the transmission than neutral dropping

As for your husband meagain, get him a manual so he can heel and toe and double declutch [:P] to be as smooth as possible

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/yourwheels/la-hy-wheels17may17,0,7385170.story?coll=la-class-highway1-yourwheels

and to further emphasize on the response rate and claims taht it will be quicker, http://www.wwnorton.com/college/chemistry/chemconnections/BlueLight/pages/hp/an1155-3.pdf\

even tenths of a second matter as to an accident or not. Remember that driving at 65 mph you are going 95.333~ feet per second, meaning that sneeze, that eye rub, that yawn, that looking at the billboard you just did about a 30 meter dash like in gym. It gets worse, at 155 mph you are going aabout a football length in one second.

I've done it both ways over time (not at the same time!), and don't think it makes much or any difference IF the driver uses his/her chosen method consistently and doesn't try to switch back and forth. I currently use the right foot for both gas and brake.

However, I use both if I want to carefully control acceleration at very low speeds without having to do lightning foot shifts, i.e., I apply a little gas and a little brake at the same time to keep acceleration under full control. That's rare, of course.

I think grabby brakes could be the problem for you and "hubby" -- some cars like Toyota products don't lurch when you slightly apply the brakes, while others like a Kia and a GM I recently rented were ridiculously jerky when I even just touched the brake. I'd look at that & choice of car, as much as driving schools and a 6-speed manual.

Larry

My wife drives like that. I never really noticed until one annoying habit helped me to discover that she used two feet.

First, I drive us everywhere except one place. On Sunday, for some reason we got into a habit that she drives to church. Don't know why but she drives. It's about the only place we go together where she drives us.

When I see someone's brake lights go on in front of me, no matter the distance, it seems I instinctively also put on my brakes. Albeit maybe for just a split second. But until I mentally judge that I am going slow enough to not hit what's in front of me, I always hit the brakes when the person in front of me does.

My wife will noticeably continue to accelerate when the person in front of us hits the brakes. It annoys me big time, and makes me feel a sense of "lack of control". Sometimes it downright scares me a little.

Well, I noticed she is using two feet and most definitely has her foot on the brake and gas at the same time. She lashes back at me "in here gentle southern manner" citing never having had an accident. So what can I say.

Like I said I drive us everywhere else.