Integrated tube amp for Heresy

Santuxxi

Hey all, i have been looking on the klipsch forum for quite some time. I own a pair of 77' Heresys that my dad gave me. I don't have that much experience on klipsch products since i am only 15 years old......But i was wondering, what is a good sounding amp for the heresys....I probably want and integrated one.....i really dont care if it is new or used, and it has to be in the $500 or below range. I will also look into buying some cornwalls this summer if i get the chance and will be switching the amp to use for them.

Thanks,

Santuxxi

Hey all, i have been looking on the klipsch forum for quite some time. I own a pair of 77' Heresys that my dad gave me. I don't have that much experience on klipsch products since i am only 15 years old......But i was wondering, what is a good sounding amp for the heresys....I probably want and integrated one.....i really dont care if it is new or used, and it has to be in the $500 or below range. I will also look into buying some cornwalls this summer if i get the chance and will be switching the amp to use for them.

Thanks,

Santuxxi

I have a Dyna (DynaCo) SCA35 integrated tube amp for sale that is unrestored. The Phono section accepts MM and MC. 17 wpc and in very nice condition. I'd let it go for $175 plus shipping.

Chris

post-10861-1381930118173_thumb.jpg

I really don't know....i guess it would be a good start with tube power but i was thinking more along the lines of something like the Cayin TA-30. It's newer and goes for $500-600?.... i've read good stuff about it. How does the dyna sound anyway? I dont know how to put a picture up....but heres a picture of the cayin..http://www.audb.net/zeroboard/bbs/data/pst_shopping/1097665333/ta30.jpg

Santuxxi

Santuxxi,

Welcome to the forum-you are off to a great start!

A number of folks here (including myself) will recommend vintage gear

as it provides a LOT of bang for your buck. The caveat being it

is older equipment, it needs to have some work done to bring it up to

specs for safe and pleasureable enjoyment.

In vintage, the Scott, Fisher, and Dynaco names are a good place to

start. The Dynaco that member "TigerwoodKhorns" offered looks

like a pretty good deal.

A couple other ideas:

-Contact forum member Craig Nosvlaves: http://www.nosvalves.com/

See if he has anything used for sale. Craig works on vintage equipment and builds his own line of amps.

-In the solid state area the Harman Kardon 430, 730, & 930

receivers are forum faves that will mate well with your Heresies, and

set you back about $100.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up going with.

Paul

I really don't know....i guess it would be a good start with tube power but i was thinking more along the lines of something like the Cayin TA-30. It's newer and goes for $500-600?.... i've read good stuff about it. How does the dyna sound anyway? I dont know how to put a picture up....but heres a picture of the cayin..http://www.audb.net/zeroboard/bbs/data/pst_shopping/1097665333/ta30.jpg

Santuxxi

Dollar for dollar, if you buy a vintage integrated amp and have Craig go through it you will be way ahead of a new amp.

Chris

Speaking stock to stock no upgrades on either amplifer a EICO power amp

of the same power range will floor the equivalent Dynaco hands down.

Now start modifying the Dynaco and the differences will be small at

best. I personally love a well modified and upgraded Dynaco power amplifier

but in their 100% stock form I think they're just so so at best.

i agree with silversport; find an eico hf-81 and forget the cayin. if you are patient, you will get a good clean one ready to play or buy on the cheap and have Craig restore it to new.

Welcome to the world of Klipsch. I know you will like the Heresys and the Cornwalls if you upgrade.

Many have suggested tube amps and old tube amps at that. I am asumming that at the age of 15 you probably do not have a lot of extra cash for an amp or extra cash if that amp has a problem that needs to be fixed.

Given that perspective, I would not recommend buying a tube amp, esp an older one that may need some work. The newer tube amps in your price range may not have much power (I am not sure at what levels you will be listening at) nor is there a large selection of new tube amps that are readily available for an audition.

As such, there are a number solid state amps that might be appropriate (in your price range & not having much danger of becoming a money sink). The trick is to get one that has clean signal. You are using relatively efficient speakers, and they can sometimes be cruel if your amp is introducing any hiss, hum or distortion. It is best to demo them first.

Good solid state amps from about 20 years ago might be worth looking at. These would include: Luxman, Denon, Hafler, Adcom, Onkyo, Carver, Harman Kardon & Rotel. There are others also. The ones I have mentioned were pretty good overall (and across various models). But most importantly, they are affordable with a good bang for the buck. I remeber that when I was your age money was tight. I suspect that has not changed.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Welcome to the forum. I was 15 when I got my first system. My uncle gave me his Altec Lansing speakers for my birthday. It was a tragically sweet present. He was killed in a car crash 3 days later when he was hit by a drunk driver.

My dad then got me a Harmon Karden amp and tuner. Man, I was in heaven. Later, when CD's came out, I got a CD player. I still have that system and am currently setting it up for my 12 year old's room. I will eventually try to get him some good used Klipsch speakers.

One of the reasons that I love Klipsch speakers is that you can get some old ones that still sound wonderful for a little amount of money, get an old but good amp, and blow away most any modern, expensive, system.

Good luck on your quest, but be forewarned, it is an addictive quest.

Paul

I have an Onix SP-3 tube amp. 38 watts per channel. They can be had for $500 to $600 used or new B stock for $700 through AV123. I love mine.

cubdog

I did some checking into the onix sp-3 a few weeks ago. found the reviews to be good. the appearance of the amp is stunning. you shold post a picture.

I know the list was 999. I was given a price of 550 for one. I assumed it was new, but I guess I should have asked if it was new, used, b-stock, etc.

I am still doing my home work on a tube amp purchase.