Khorns vs. Naim Audio - The Showdown!

fgarib

Hello all,

I've been popping my head in and out of these forums trying to learn from your guys, and picking your brains now and then with my NUMEROUS questions.

Well, here's my latest question:

An "audiophile" friend of mine (notice the quotes!) recently challenged me to a shootout of his el cheapo (read: lower end) Naim System, consisting of a NAIT 3 integrated and Naim speakers (don't know the model, but I'm assuming they're the Intro 2's.) against my soon-to-have-the-DeanG-Xover-Mods-That-I-Bought-3-months-ago updated Khorns and an SS Mac 6400 integrated amp. Now frankly, I'm not the competitive sort, nor do I have any desire to get sucked into a subjective discussion of, "Dude, check that bass out!!! Can't you hear it?" But he insisted that he's going to kick my system's a$$... so in my earnest desire to not let you forum members down without a fight(and, in part, because of my ego just exploded) I agreed.

Note that this is not going to be a technical contest in the slightest... No measurements to speak of... Even the sources, interconnects, software.. all of it will be variable. He'll play his music, on his cd player, in his room at his house, and me at my house, with my music, and my cd's / vinyl. Thus, this is completely geared up to be an evening of frustration. I think the schedule is that he's going come over one night next week, and then we're going to go over to his place soon after that.

Now from what I can tell, this guy does not know the first thing about, say, the effect that the room itself has on the sound... or what makes up a good crossover... or what a midrange is, for that matter. However, the one thing that he does have going for him is that he has a TON of money, and knows that Naim is a darn solid brand. So, based on the reviews he's read, and the advice of his high end audio supplier, he has bought this system used, and plugged it into - get this - a square listening room. And apparently it sounds phenomenal!

So my question is this: What the heck do I say to the guy... I have a feeling that nothing you can say will in any way, shape or form start to convince him that what he's listening to coming out of the Khorns is actually a really well rounded sound, and not only bang-for-buck-wise, but objectively it's a kick *** system.

I think i'll just have 2 scotches for every one that I serve to him at my place... that way the evening will be less painful at his place with his jibing on and on using words that he's just learned in the June issue of Stereophile...

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

-Fauzi

How do you get into these situations?

To use an automotive analogy, you're sitting at a traffic light in your Ferrari and some guy rolls up in a Dodge Neon with a NOX kit and challenges you to a drag race. A real Ferrari owner would look at the guy as though he was a dung-covered cockroach and hang a right turn when the light changes, leaving him to go to the next light to find an insecure Mustang or Celica owner to bait.

The sound quality of your system is highly subjective. If you really think it is objective (and matter of competition) then you are well on your way to becoming one of those pathetic audiopiles with a system that costs $100,000, sounds like $1,000, and looks like R2D2 expoded in the living room.

Good speakers are crap-amplifiers, and will highlight every defect and shortcoming in the recordings you listen to. Mediocre or poor systems do the opposite. They hide or mask much of what is on the recording, so much so in some cases that very poor recordings end up being passable. That's not a virtue, in my opinion. Will your Klipsch system be judged better because the same recording sounds worse on it than on the Naim system? I doubt it. That's an indictment of the listener, though, and not the system.

Do yourself a favor and hang a right when the light changes. Your over-testosteroned friend will go looking for a Sony or Harmon Kardon owner at the next light.

This sounds like a no win situation for both partys.Oviously he believes his system is better and that mindset will be hard to change.We all have our perceptions of what sounds good.Then on the other hand K-horns and Mac SS gear is a sweet combo.Has he ever heard a K-horn?This could boil down to how open minded he is.

As for your impressions of his system,be gentle.

Greg

Those things are easy to win -- no matter how good his system sounds, just keep looking at him like he's an idiot.:)

If you want to get nasty, pick up a couple of the Stereophile test CD's with the exceptionally recorded piano and drum work -- he will have Klipschorns in his house before the year is out.

I agree, don't get inot the situation. But because you already are, just show him what horns can do. Get some recordings that he is familiar with and listen and moderate levels. Let him experience the detail and soundstage. Make sure you have some accoustical recordings too. They are eerily lifelike.

If he has an open mind he will see the difference. If not, there is a Bose factory outlet close to where I live...

Chris

I am not familiar with Naim speaker,but I bought an original Naim nait($350) to toy around with my avantgarde horn speaker.I have to admit that this little thing flat out beat my current Krell 400ix int amplifier..It make me kind of curious of their speakers line..if any klipsch fan in the houston area that want to try out this naim nait,feel free to contact me and can borrow to try it out.

Def,

LOLLLL!!!! Looove the analogy! And you hit the nail on the head, when you said "over-testosteroned!

I've been brushing up on my Stereophile-speak and AV-Weekly-lingo, and prepped a couple of comments, no matter how much I like his system... which I'm sure I will, because from what I understand, Naim is, errr... a "name" to be respected... The trick is to make the comments start off as compliments... but then stick in a phrase or two in there to make 'em think!

- "Wow, dude! Lucid! Very transparent! But, err... is it me or is the midrange just a touch, ummm, spongy?"

- If it's toed in: "Man, i think you're toed in too much... the sweet spot could be sweeter."

- If they're not: "Dude, gotta toe them in... the sweet spot could be sweeter."

- On a nice acoustic guitar piece: "Man oh man, you can hear that bow gliiiide on the violin strings! WOW!"

- On a rock piece: "Man, I never realized Bonzo's played the congos in this song... or is that the snare?"

Of course, then I gotta work in words like, "Sloooow, stunted, shuddering, airy, boomy, emancipated...."

And I'm trying to work on my pensive drawl as i say these words...

Any more suggestions on Stereophile-speak? Keep em coming... Wednesday next is d day!

-Fauzi