My Sony ES receiver caught on FIRE!!!!

DEAM

Oh my,

If some did not notice I was being a bit sarcastic.Nobody should compare a Pontiac Firefly to a BMW M5.

cwm1.gif

Mr South Park,

How can you hear good things about Krell?After all ALL AMPS SOUND THE SAME!TV said so!Who am I to question this?I got ripped off,big time.And now I have an arc welder model FPB600.

cwm36.gif

I guess Dan Dagostino designs solid arc welders.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

EARS-your comparisons are non-sequitur(sp?)'they don't follow'. so many times you seem to swat a fly w/an elephant gun. i'm happy to say that the gear alot of the guys on this bb have bring us GREAT SATISFICATION, no matter what'level'of equipment we have...and many times doing installs/service calls i see people who don't know how to use their equipment, don't know the potential of their gear,or don't know the best connection(s) to accomplish the best a/v result. there are MANY reasons to post here, and i appreciate your input. but 'stomping on' a piece of equipment because it's not 'krell-level' does nothing toward a primary objective of this bb-getting the most out of the gear we've got, and making reasonable decisions about upgrades where and when we get the opportunity. i've wondered from this objective, and we have fun here, but this serves as a self-reminder that these objectives are a big part of what makes this bb great, and how we can contribute.btw-it was a link someone on this bb provided to another website w/a dedicated forum to the strda-777es and there was where the info for me to upgrade to v.2.02 was provided..ever grateful.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I own a number of Sony CD changers and DVD components. I had two of their receivers which I replaced with vastly superior Outlaw 1050s. They seem to make a good mechanical component but I use optical/coax connections and external DACs because their internal processors leave much to be desired. My experience is they have been better mechanically than sound quality wise.

HT-1 Klipsch Heritage System (music oriented)

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Sony CX-240 CD Changer

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever changer is playing)

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface

Nirvis jukebox software (downloads net cd info, album covers& lyrics- programs & controls changers searchable for songs, artists, albums).

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Monster 5000 Power Center

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Sherwood HX-PRO dual cassette deck

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades (also outputs to HT2)

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver (Dynaco inputs directly to amp section)

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Phillips Pronto TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

Cables: Onix , MSB, Monster, AR., Iced Purple, RS Gold

Monster Bi-wire speaker cables.(Khorns)

HT#2 Klipsch THX System (movie oriented)

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver (Dynaco inputs directly to amp section)

Monster 3000 Power Center

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Sony STR-G3 (supplemental amplification for extra speakers)

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD/ CD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

Vibrapods (vibration isolation)

RS Gold , Monster, Iced Purple, AR Cables

This message has been edited by soundog on 11-14-2001 at 08:18 AM

Well

what all this boils down to is:

s o n y -- s u c k s -- hard!!!!!!

no wonder why they change models so fast!!!!

can you believe my sony regional manager is a lady who does not even own a/v equipment!!!!????!!!!

she confessed to owning a bose system...(honestly)

just that made me sick after spending what i did on my "fire hazard recalled sony paper weight 777es"

i just began to "field test" a onkyo integra 9.1 and

it already has dolby pro logic ii!!!!

i will keep you guys posted on my law suit about the crap 777...

later,

steve

pb & john, no melting through, smoke, or fire on the new marantz monoblock. i think/hope it's just a lil bit o' burn-in on a new product. it's working fine & not running hot. should have emphasized the "slight smell" more. not real strong & the ladyfriend of course doesn't even smell it.

& maybe my sense of smell just got more keen when i just recently quit chewing the copenhagen. i can definitely taste food better now. Biggrin.gif

ears, sorry but that was a lil tongue-in-cheekin again on my old ken. Smile.gif i haven't seen any measurements done on this kr-9600 since the mid-70s. but i'm sure it beats the krell in FM sensitivity & selectivity Wink.gif

but a lot of these old receivers seemed to put more emphasis on amp quality & circuitry than many of today's receivers w/ their emphasis on the preamp & processing. still even w/ some more modern receivers I

don't think we can automatically say they have inferior

amps to all seperate power amps.

sure the krell is superior to most if not all receivers

in power amp quality. it better be for the price. but

MY point of diminishing returns there is about US$2k. the acurus 200five was perfect for me at $889 for a $2k

quality amp. i'm happy w/ that & the other $5-$10k in stocks & options. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa,

Agree on all counts with you.Oh yeah FM reception is better on your reciever ,no doubt.

I dont even have a tuner in my music system. Frown.gif Will get a FM Dynalab one of these days. Smile.gif

Ah no,FM Dynalab sounds the same as the dollar store one.Why bother Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

You Know, If I could afford Krell products,

I would go a little further and jump on

the Valve bandwagon.

Granted, Krell products are excellent quality.

And way overpriced.

There is something about Krell that seems kinda Yuppie, IMO.

If it was SS, I would have to 'PASS' on Krell and

take Nelson's route.

Deam, I think it was Janet Jackson

that killed your Sony receiver.

420!

THANX!cwm32.gif

Mike,

Please dont stop do BASH the Krell amps some more.

I had a PassAleph 30W stereo cube of heat making music in my music system once.Yes the PASS was a great amp,but I passed it for some cash and got me a serious Krell.

The Krell is very musical,and has the kind of power and bass drive only much more expensive PassLabs and Boulders have.So again to me the Krell is pure gold.

And about the overpriced joke,did you ever take a look inside a Krell?Did you listen to a Krell in a well matched system?You know there is a special someting called synergy,and I have it in my music system.

The Krell was worth and is still worth every dime I had to save to get this amp.

And Yuppie? Who send you here?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Children, children.

Many valid points were made in this thread, but it is time to put this one to bed.

Sooo much of what you folks are talking/raving/whining/pontificating/preaching about (take you pick for whomever) is subjective, and where measurable, it is seldom if ever worth the money charged. (There are certainly exceptions.)Unless it is worth it to the buyer. A fool and his money... ???

Look, if Aston Martin wants to charge $240,000 for their new car, fine, someone will buy one, and it will get them to the store for milk a microsecond faster than you. For $240K they also get to waddle in hog-heaven because they went to the store in an Aston Martin and you didn't. ::shrug:: MAYBE, their milk will taste a bit better, sweeter, milkier, maybe not. That is relative too. Same milk, different perception. My brother wouldn't know a cross-over from a cross-dresser.

One should not take something along the line of a home theatre or stereo system and begin to measure it in Yugos, Civics, or Preludes. Come on people, this is cost of some peoples homes.

Don't get me wrong, I have put a lot of time, dollars, and personal sweat and pride into my systems over the years, but it is all subjective and relative.

These boards are so useful when they help people. They are not very useful when they push them away or inhibit / intimidate others from contributing or asking for help.

People solicit opinions. Most of us are free with our advice and experience, but not at the expense of the other person.

Besides, everyone knows that Krell sucks.

Sorry, could not resist. They indeed make a great Amp.

Just lighten up out there!

Derr Wook

------------------

WS-65908 Mits RPTV

Klipsch RF7

Klipsch RC7

Phase Tech PC-1000

B&W 601

Yamaha DSP-1

Nakamichi TA-4

Kenwood Sovereign 5900M -Prog. scan changer

Velodyne Sub

TheNOSE

LOL,this was a good one.Oh it hurts so bad...

cwm27.gif

Derr,

I will not BASH you since you have some good taste in audio gear(it ok Wink.gif ),good choice of speakers and the Yamaha is a great unit.

I am not here to intimidate anyone,if you read my posts you should know better.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This horse is pretty much beat to death already, but I've gotta just cast my vote in defense of Mr. Sony's company.

I've had nothing but satisfaction with a whole bunch of Sony gear over the last eleven years or so, most all of which I still own and use. Let's see, where to begin...

TA-E1000ES av pre/pro

TA-N55ES power amps (2)

TA-N110 power amp

TA-N220 4channel power amp

ST-S550ES am/fm tuner

DTC-75ES dat recorder

CDP-C90ES 10-disc CD changer

CDP-X33ES cd player

SLV-575 vhs hi-fi vcr

8mm video cassette player

TA-F606ES integrated amp

PS-LX510 turntable

DAT-Man portable dat recorder

...all still doin' their thang, with nary a spark.

------------------

JDMcCall

Mike,

Looks dont make an amplifier.Its the design and synergy of parts used.Krell amps are designed by a master amplifier designer.

Things like..."the Krell looks ugly" or "the Krell is too big" are of no importance to me or other Krell owners.What matters is HOW IT SOUNDS(how it makes my speakers sound).How it helps the rest of the system sound.

As long as it does not look like a toilet bowl I can fit it in my room. cwm27.gif

It may be ugly,but the MRA drives speakers like no other amp on earth.With total ease and you can bet the amp will not be the limiting factor of the system.

The MRA doubles its output down to 0.5 Ohm!Who can even match this?This says loads about the power supply in this amp.At 0.5 Ohm you get a modest 16000 Watts.Not PMPO please. Smile.gif

Now it would be great to have a 5.1 system based on these amps.Five Krell MRA driving Dynaudio Evidence or Egglestonworks Ivy speakers.Just sick

Not the dream gear of single ended tubephiles who love the one watt amps and Avangarde speakers.

Oh yes tube,still so sweet.Did you hear about the Audio Nore OnGaku and GakuOn amplifiers?Master Kondo makes these himself with a few other of his expert workers.The price,makes the Krell MRA look like K-Mart goods.cwm3.gif

AudioNote is based on a true no compromise design,they dont cut ANY corners.And I mean any.Even the output transformer have silver windings,and not any silver!

For the most wealthy and sick audiophiles only.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by Tron:

James,

DAT-Man portable dat recorder

Where and when did you get that, and how much was it, if you can remember?

A reasonable DAT recorder is so hard to find these days...

cwm36.gif

Tron,

Mine is a TCD-D7. I've had it quite awhile, probably about six years. I got it at a Brands Mart store in Kansas City, Missouri. If I remember correctly, I think I paid $550.00 plus tax for the little critter.

This info probably won't help you much, considering how long ago I bought the thing. I don't really know what they are going for now.

------------------

JDMcCall