My Sony ES receiver caught on FIRE!!!!

DEAM

Ok. I am one of those guys who are less than enthusiastic about Krell amps. I wouldn't say prejudiced. It's not that they sound terrible, it's just that I didn't find the amps particularly musical, especially given the price for them. One dealer of Krell amps felt the same and said perhaps it's because their amps do so much processing that it robs some of it's musicallity. Who knows.

I'm partial to HK amps and I'm sure some people think they suck. That's what makes this hobby entertaining to discuss.

I am in spec mode,as TV from SVS likes to ride the spec badwagon(it fair,subs and amps specs dont lie).

Musicality problem?!!? What,uh oh yes! Hmm oh ok LOL

Never had this problem,all who heard my system are amazed how great it sounds,they speak of pure music.

I heard many anti-Krell stories.You will hear anti-Mark Levinson,anti tube and anti YOU NAME IT peeps.

The bottom line is Krell amplifiers are in the top of SS amplification.Like it or not.

Who can best Krell,spec wise..who please give me the make and model.I would be glad to know them,seriously.

I know PassLabs(Pass Aleph),Mark Levinson,Spectral, Goldmund,FM Acoustics,Dynaudio(yes Dynaudio amps!),Hafler,Boulder(ok they do sound more musical,and cost ALOT),Jeff Rowland,Bryston,Celeste and so much more.

Damn an amp is defined by sound and numbers.Krell has it all efortless power and the ability to drive any speaker with ease.Who can ask for more,yeah the price is high...very high.As is the price of all huge power amps.

To all who read this,I in no way say other makes and amps are not quality.So keep in mind this next time you post.I have much less expensibve amps that I enjoy just as much. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hi Ear. I really wasn't picking a fight with you but since we're debating this. Spec wise, Krells are fine as are many fine amplifiers out there. Like most will admit, listening is the deciding factor. In the late '70s their were many amps with outstanding specs but sounded bad for a variety of reasons. Anyway, back to the Krells.

Several months ago I was shopping for speakers and was this close to getting my dream, a pair of Khorns. Well the wife shot down that $6000 idea. My second choice for a lot less money were a pair of Magnepan 1.6QR that I first heard on Mark Levisons. They sounded great. Well I went back to the audio salon and this time the 1.6's were being powered buy monoblock Krells. They sounded smooth but lifeless, as if the pace of the music was lagging. I was a little disappointed and was reconsidering the speaker purchase. By chance I went back to the store a few weeks later and this time the speakers were being powered a Rotel amp. While the Rotel sounded a little grainy compared to the Krell, the music was driving me to tap my feet. I ended up buying the Maggies. I heard the Krells a few more times at home and at the store and while I'll admit they don't sound bad, something just seems lacking to my ears.

Motto of this Thread:

"Let your ears be the judge."

(No pun intended.)

Who cares how someone else thinks your

gear sounds, its a hobby.

Gotta agree, EARS, that Audionote stuff

is some NICE S**T!

I think I have read something about this,

Hand made, 3 to 6 months to make, I think.

In my situation, I would not turn down Krell,

It's not Mid-Fi.

THANX!cwm44.gif

discorules,

No life? LOL

Well what can I say,its your perception.I cannot argue that.

Its very easy to say an amp has no life,who can prove that?Nobody No life,I will keep this in mind.I have a Frankenstein amp! Smile.gifSmile.gif

Well I like this Frankenstein amp,and how can a dead amp be smooth!? Hmmm

mike,

Yes AudioNote tube power amps and preampsare the most musical components I EVER heard!If someone tells me they lack life I will have to take their life. Wink.gif

But you know what?

I heard a total puke describe the AudioNotes as being unmusical!Go figure,AudioNote are THE MOST MUSICAL amps(if there ever was a musical amp).

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Its nice to watch an argument, rather than be the star of it!

I have a sony here, if it blows up or catches fire, ill go to a pawn shop for another unit, no problem, the way anything is built these days, ill prabably never buy new!

My freind spent 1,100.00 on an onkyo, and ive seen it on E-bay for 600.00. ill wait a bit longer, and get the unit for 300.00!

Also, when you buy new, as soon as you walk out of the store its outdated!

Recievers are a dime a dozen, they have 5 amps in them, expect problems!

Also, i still have all of my 2 channel gear here, and im about burned out on H/T again!

I listen to the surround in 2 channel mode, more than H/T, just like i did before!

But this time im keeping all the gear!

Well, nothing new here!

Just this crazy rockford fosgate subwoofer i put together 2 weeks ago!

WOW!

Cornwall 1 front

Cornwall 1 rear

Academy center

Rockford fosgate, dual 10 inch sub

Sony STR DE 825 still working ?

Pyramid PA100 watt amp, bridged to the fosgates

Apex DVD

Harman Kardon CD player

800 CDS

38 DVDS in 1 month oops!

Have fun, and enjoy

Regards Jim

Confused.gif

RAY

DEAM pressed two opinions. I rebuted 1 of them.

Drug lords don't protect their crops or multi-million dollar shipments of pot like they do their shipments of other drugs? They face the exact problems smuggling pot as they do more hard core drugs. The mild "effects of pot on oneself" in comparison to other hard core drugs and alcohol isn't the issue. If you purchase "illegal" drugs you contribute to the manner in which they have been provided.

Have any of you seen the Police Video of the State Trooper being over-powered and murdered on the side of the road by the three pot smugglers he pulled over? How do you think his wife and kids would feel if they visited this forum and read your posts? Perhaps they should get a grip, after all the "illegal" use of a mild drug like pot doesn't and never has hurt anyone.

I have a family member in the police dept also nearly killed by a drug smuggler.

I guess I need to find a place with a bit more morality or maybe just get a grip.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 11-25-2001 at 12:27 AM

rwmin,

I suppose it's possible for a thread to drift more off topic than this, but I've never seen one...

Anyway, I couldn't let that last post pass without comment. The kind of atrocities you're talking about have NEVER, far as I can tell after spending the past hour or so bouncing around on google, been committed by people smuggling POT into the country, or around within the country. This is the type of hyper-reactive commentary that keeps otherwise rational people from legalizing a drug that is, by every single measure, less harmful to the human body and spirit than alcohol. I don't smoke pot; I would if it were legal, but with a wife, daughter and baby the cold responsibility of adult fatherdom has outweighed the benefits, and I simply won't put my family at risk by indulging in any illegal behaviour, no matter how wrong headed I think the laws might be.

Truly evil drugs, like cocaine in its various forms, heroin and other opiates HAVE killed innocent people, and continue to do so every day, in addition to the untold economic havoc they wreck on our society. But lumping POT in with those drugs would be like, uh, comparing kids who vandalize public property by painting graffity on walls with arsonists.

Get a grip.

I apologise to the moderators for adding to the offtarget drift of the thread.

Ray Garrison

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I agree 100% with you Ray and then some.

Back to the topic. Hey Ear, I know we went on about Krell amps but I thought it was interesting reading a test report on Boulder's preamp in this month's Stereophile. I sorta got the impression that Jonathon Scull might feel the same about Krell amps as I do. To quote him:

You want it fast and furious? Mate the Boulder 1012 with a fast amp like the Linn Klimax. Want something a bit more sensual? Go for amps like the Krell.

I guess being a disco guy I prefer something that can get me outta my seat. Since H/K amps are among other things, known their speed and transient virtue, I'm partial to them.

I agree with Ray as well. I have smoked POT in the past(read...college days), and I even inhailed, but I do not any more for the same reasons as Ray sans the children. Although there probably have been death because of the dealing and use of pot, it can not compare to the deaths caused by alcohol, of which I do partake. By the way both the use of pot and alcohol did not keep me from graduating with highest honors from a major university (ABSOLUTELY not trying to toot my own horn just an observation on the controled use of both drugs).

Just my 2 cents on an off topic thread.