KLIPSCH AND BEER

BigStewMan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the '60's, when I was an organ builder working out of St. Hyacinthe PQ, there were a number of stories told on our fellows in the trade. They were just barely believable. Nevertheless they were repeated and "improved" like urban legends.

One was told about an English installation foreman who had constructed a dummy #25 (middle C) principal pipe. It looked like a regular pipe except there was no toe hole, languid, or mouth. When he worked in churches that frown upon the use of spirits, he would fill his special pipe with porter or ale and bring it on the job and put it in the rack instead of the real pipe. Being English, he didn't care if it was at room temperature and fairly devoid of fizz. At every break he would quaff from his special pipe!

I could believe this story except for the fact that pipes are made from varied metals including tin and lead plus several other heavy metals which were used to increase strength. Enough of this would leach into beer to make a deadly draught. But it is a fun story.

I have been known to hide the Christmas Rum in the top of my Klipschorns!

DRBILL

Man O' Man don't even get me started on the virtues of German wine and beer! Sorry ,but nothing in the USA even comes close. I hear you on the tall glass of weizen beer with a lemon wedge in it. I first exposed myself to it when they took us downtown as part of our in-processing to Ramstein AB. They got back on the bus, I went back and found my own way home.

Warstiner, Bitburger Pils, Parkbrau (Perminator!), Paulener, Spatenbrau are but a few of the fabulous beers in Germany. I can't remember them all there were so many, the choices were endless and each area had their own unique brew. The Paulener Salvator's were 9.8% doppel bock, yummy.

Remember going into a German bar and ordering a Pils and an Export, reason being the Pils took awhile to pour so you drank your Export beer while you waited. They did not serve pitchers of beer, they served meters of beer which was a long wooden box filled with 6-8 ounce glasses of beer from end to end. You could even get them half and half of different beer types.

Having been to Bad Durkheim at the biggest wine festival in the world and drinking Spatlese and Auslese out of half liter water glasses and hitting the Oktoberfest twice I can say I certainly had my fill. Man those were the days.

Man O' Man don't even get me started on the virtues of German wine and beer! Sorry ,but nothing in the USA even comes close. I hear you on the tall glass of weizen beer with a lemon wedge in it.

Hey Frzninvt--so, even though nothing compares, what do you enjoy today? Fortunately, for my brother, we can buy Bitburger; although he hasn't been able to find some of the other beers that he liked when he lived in Germany (USAF days). Have you "settled" for something over here? By the way, I'm not a Miller fan; however, in their commercials, the Miller guy says that if you have good beer you don't need to put fruit in it. :)I like to quote that line to Corona drinkers. Enjoy your day and pour a iced-cold one for those of us in the sizzling weather out west.

Yes I do, thanks to the popularity of micro breweries there are alot of decent choices. There were not too many choices when I returned to the US in 1989 though. Canada which is nearby has fabulous beer. The imported versions are horrid compared to the real thing in Canada. The imported Labatt's does not come close to the real thing in Canada. I found BitBurger Pils in Canada many years ago but I don't make it up to Canada very often at all.

A local brewery called Magic Hat makes my favorites. Weizen, Hefe-Weizen, Pale Ale's, Lager's, Hell's and number of others that are very good. My favorite is Magic Hat #9 and Hocus Pocus.

I think that Bud, Coors, and Miller taste like lightly flavored pond water. Bleech!

Beer..hmmmmlessee..Theres Bud, Molson XXX, LaBatts Blue, NewCastle Brown Ale, Red Stripe, Corona, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Rolling Rock, Moosehead, and some UK beers that you cant get over here. [:'(] [:'(]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hey Sunburn.you got a Cain 5, eh? Ill be right over. Should I bring the Cardinal Zin or the Bogle Old Vine Zin?? [:)]

Tom

If you have never tried a Chimay please go out and give yourself a treat today as I have found this to be the best beer on this planet bar none and I have drank/drunk beer from all over the world and brewed quite a few myself and I can only aspire to brew something partially close to a Chimay Grand Reserve[;)]

"Beer, it's not just for breakfast anymore" which was the slogan for what used to be my favorite beer pub on 6th street in Austin Texas before idiots of no strong character let it be rippedout from under them by the disco underground[8o|]

"Uncomfortably long pause.................................where were we again"! One of my favorite lines from Chicken Little[:)]

post-18681-13819304217392_thumb.gif

If you have never tried a Chimay please go out and give yourself a treat today as I have found this to be the best beer on this planet bar none and I have drank/drunk beer from all over the world and brewed quite a few myself and I can only aspire to brew something partially close to a Chimay Grand Reserve[;)]

"Beer, it's not just for breakfast anymore" which was the slogan for what used to be my favorite beer pub on 6th street in Austin Texas before idiots of no strong character let it be rippedout from under them by the disco underground[8o|]

"Uncomfortably long pause.................................where were we again"! One of my favorite lines from Chicken Little[:)]

Frzn:

You hit the nail on the head!

What I wouldn't give for a Perminator right now!

A helle (clear) bock. As I recall it was about 18% - 36 proof beer! I've still got a Parkbrau glass in the cupboard and a Parkbrau bottle opener hanging on the butcher's block in my kitchen. NOTHING you can get in this country even comes close.

James

Frzn:

NOTHING you can get in this country even comes close.

James

Not even a Hamms? Wasn't that from the land of sky blue water and can you have a better connesieur of beer than a bear?

I'm partial to the product from our neighbors to the north--MOOSEHEAD.

I'm definately a Lager man; however have tried several "Blonde" ales that weren't too bad. Tried to brew my own once, from some company that has all the equipment. $35 for twelve 20oz bottles of whatever you brew. They have a recipe book for you to reference and they'll make the labels for you. I choose the recipe for Moosehead--it didn't taste anything like Moosehead at all. Was very, very bitter. A few of my friends actually liked it. I now have my own set up; however, I haven't tried it out yet.

My post disappeared--hopefully this won't be a duplicate???

Picky, or do you still answer to Swabbie? I could answer to that as I've swabbed many a deck in my day. I've been called much worse than a Post Coastie. You mentioned the1970's... my first taste of Michigan was 1978. A brutal winter! I reported to the Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw (an ice breaker) in late October, being a young lad from Southern California, I reported with no coat. Guess where I went the very next day--coat shopping! Back in those days, we drank most anything--even MD 20/20. Anyone remember that stuff?

My second tour in Michigan was Grand Haven. Los Angeles to Grand Haven was total culture shock; but, that little town grew on me and four years later it was hard to leave. I've only been back to visit once since I left in 1993. Some good people in that part of the country and I suspect you're one of them. When I saw your website, I was envious of that basement. I had one in Grand Haven--all that "extra" space. I sure could use it here in SoCal, space is at a premium (price that is). Regards, Steve

Beer..hmmmmlessee..Theres Bud, Molson XXX, LaBatts Blue, NewCastle Brown Ale, Red Stripe, Corona, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Rolling Rock, Moosehead, and some UK beers that you cant get over here. [:'(] [:'(]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hey Sunburn.you got a Cain 5, eh? Ill be right over. Should I bring the Cardinal Zin or the Bogle Old Vine Zin?? [:)]

Tom

Sorry Tom ,

The 1985 magnum of Cain 5 was consumed last year . It was delicious but on the decline . That 1995 Caymus was a wonderfull tanic monster , very heady ...

1973 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon. (Google "Judgment of Paris"). I still have a bottle of this tucked away in my wine cellar (closet) - complete with its original $7.00 price tag!

My introduction to good CA wine was a 1962 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve. Been hooked ever since.

James

Hmm, I should invite you over for a BBQ...;^)