2 Channel Home Theater?

Fool For A Radio

It's a great way to start off your home theater. and there are people that do it. if you want to stay 2 channel that's perfectly fine. The only thing you might want to consider is 2.1, adding a sub that is. A good sub will compliment your mains by hitting those low frequencies that are so common in movies now.

I actually 'downgraded' from dolby pro-logic to two channel. When I found a deal on a pair of RF-7s that was way too good to pass up, I sold all my other speakers to pay for them with a little $$ to spare. I sold a Definitive Technology subwoofer and two pairs of bookshelf speakers, also an older Klipsch KV-1 center channel.

I couldn't be happier! If my wife ever lets me invest some more $$ into my system, first thing I'll get will be an RC-7. From there, who knows.

This weekend I am going to set up a 3.1 system in my bedroom . My black Heresy II's for mains . A large Mirage MC-SI center . An M&K V125 sub . I will be reuniting my old Parasound Dolby Pro-Logic processor and my Acurus 3X100 amp . Video will be handled by my old , still working fine , 35" Toshiba Cinema Series CRT .

Being that the processor is only pro-logic I don't feel the need for rear speakers . Which since I don't have anything to power them , is a good thing . Maybe I will start going to bed instead of sleeping on the couch in the main room .

I was talking this up a few years ago here.

Even early TV audio and the "hi-fi" VHS audio (only the earliest VHS used the linear tracks) had a lot potential for good sound. And now a stereo output is common on just about any TV. So, anyone has access to fairly good sources.

The home theater "dream" systems have always been quite expensive. People hesitate.

OTOH, the amps and speakers in just about any TV are fairly small and can't do a good job on the source material.

What I call an average college dorm stereo are far superior to the the TV amp and speakers if you have an older or smaller TV.

The bottom line is that anyone can achieve a bare bones HT system with equipment already on hand. It is just a matter of hooking it up.

My first experience with this was during the era of "Star Trek, Next Generation". The bigger Sony had a stereo output. I was using some home built EV Wolveren speakers (poor man's Cornwall) and a JVC stereo amp. The Triniton had dinky speakers. What a tremendous difference. You could hear the ship's engines and other effects. Dialog was a lot more clear.

Maybe nothing has changed. New TVs still have dinky speakers. A couple of Heresy will be far superior.

Gil

Two channel is a great way to make those movies come alive. Our space really is not big enough for all the surround speakers necessary for 5.1 or 7.1 and movies sound fantastic, even using my 4.2's. A subwoofer makes a huge difference for the better, well worth the effort and and $$$ even if it comes at a later date.

..................Good Luck.

2.1 channel home theater can be surprisingly good. We had a Klipsch passive subwoofer, two fairly cheap Yamaha main speakers and an ancient (1986) Yamaha 55 wt RMS receiver hooked to our VHS HI Fi, then to a DVD player. The sound was very clean and dramatically powerful, and often was more forgiving of bad soundtracks from the 30's, 40's and 50's than our two Klipschorn, Belle Klipsch center, and Heresy II surrounds are.

Some movies hardly use the surround channels, or use them awkwardly, so sometimes they wouldn't be missed (and their sound is usually folded into the two channels in a two channel system).

Still, you won't have the ultra spacious (but sometimes lacking in other ways) sound available from the multi channel stereo in films of many decades, such as Around the World in 80 Days (1956 version, originally 6 channel, 70mm), Amadeus, Fantasia 2000, etc.

I'm almost scared to ask, but is anyone here doing it? Any opinions or advice? I'm asking because I've just acquired some Hersesy speakers that I really want to put to use, but I don't have an HT rig now, and I don't know if I want to get in too deep.

I used 2 channel for years, sounded good to me, alot of times I would shut off Pro Logic and listen in 2 channel, concert VHS sounded better to me in 2 channel, but be warned, once you hear 5.1 on a good system, YOUR HOOKED.......................

So many people jump into a mediocre system or even pay $5-600 for what amounts to a HTIB system. Most would agree a decent 2 channel rig is far superior than any cheapo 7.1 system.

Contributing to HT Forum and AVS forum this seems to be the trend. People are "running" to the $50 Polk R15's at Frye's or the $35 Insignia speakers at Best Buy. Give me some decent two channel old school gear over those any day...

Thanks for all the affirming replies. They gave me the resolve to drag the big Heresy speakers inside (they stay in the garage and play loud music, usually) and experiment. I hooked the audio output form the TV into the Sonic T-amp I usually use with these speakers but I couldn't get any sound. I can't figure out why, maybe not a strong enough signal, although the T-amp will amplify an Ipod just fine. Anyway I rigged up a connection to an old Marantz 2230 receiver, and everything worked fine and sounded great.

The Heresy pair is really beat up and ugly sitting next to the TV, but maybe I'll use my Totem Staaf pair for TV speakers, and hook the Heresy pair up to the stereo. I use a Jolida tube integrated, and I hear that the Heresy speakers respond well to tube amplification.

There's way more of us than would ever admit that our first systems were a TV hooked up to receiver and two speakers. Mine was Mitsu 27" Sony receiver and 2 Altec 7's. (in my pre-Klisch days)

After that, it was OFF TO THE RACES BABY!

Michael

Run cables from the stereo out of the tv to the Jolida int amp. Then turn the volume up about 1/3 on the Jolida and try the remote volume on your tv. You may have to turn the volume up more on the Jolida but this should let you have the 2 channel movies.

Just remember to turn the volume down on the Jolida before you listen to music. I scared the hell out of myself by not turning down the volume after watching in two channel and switched over to music!!

If still no sound check the audio set up in your tv.

I have my pair of rf-83 mostly for music but I have it hooked to the tv and watch movies occassionaly on it. One thing that is nice sometimes and not so nice the other times is this Vmax thing they offer on my Harmon Kardon Reciever. It supposed to make the stereo seem like surround sound with different timing etc.... Sometimes it sound better than just two channel, other times it sounds better two channel.... oh well just have to upgrade to 7.2 sooner or later.

There's way more of us than would ever admit that our first systems were a TV hooked up to receiver and two speakers. Mine was Mitsu 27" Sony receiver and 2 Altec 7's. (in my pre-Klisch days)

After that, it was OFF TO THE RACES BABY!

Michael

I hooked my stereo to my tv in the early 80's(via vcr),bought a prologic processor in the mid 80's and a prologic avr in the late 80's.Stereo is much better than nothin' for video but after DD,DTS,L 7 you really appreciate it if you have a good center,surrounds and sub/s.