The wait is over for Pink Floyd fans ..Pulse out on July 11!

pierceb

This time I think it is for real, I've even seen advertisements in my local paper!

I'm surprised nobody here posted about this yet, it has got to be one of the best concert videos out there. Perhaps with the past saga on release dates, it took a lot of wind out of promotional campaign, as I haven't heard much about it lately. I guess Pink Floyd management doesn't care, the DVD will sell itself.

I can't say how excited I am about this one. It is the only DVD that I have really longed for ever since I bought my DVD player back in 2000 and the main reason I got an HT.

Happy watching!

-PB

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I originally pre ordered this back in Nov 05. I had to update my amazon order 3 times since then and I just got an email saying it would be shipped on July 11th, Finally.

I have it on laserdisc and the picture quality is great as is the digital stereo but I have heard the new 5.1 mix is freakin awesome! I know what I am doing for 3 hours the day it hits my mail box.

scooter

Wooooo Hoooooo

I got an email from amazon last night saying they shipped my Pulse dvd. That means I should have it by next Tuesday or so.

My My, that must mean they are actually going to release it this time. David Gilmour's latest must not have sold that well.[;)]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen the adds; I nearly fell out of my chair this morning while reading the Sunday ads section of the newspaper. Circuit City has an ad for the DVD and says it will be in their stores on Tuesday, July 11th. I thought I was dreaming! This is great news, guys.

Circuit City is running a deal of sorts:

Pulse DVD - $15.99 or 2 for $28 (buy the Pulse CD and DVD and receive The Wall DVD, a $19.99 value). Hmmm.... I already own the CD so I think I'll just get the Pulse DVD. I'm not real interested in owning The Wall DVD. Is it any good? -Glenn

I've had my copy since Thursday...suckas! Sorrry, just had to do that.

This is one of the perks of being in the music biz. I've been too busy

training for a triathlon but I'm going to give it a spin today. I did

notice something weird on the packaging. On audio setup there are 2

choices for 5.1 one with a higher bit-rate than the other along with a

disclaimer stating that it might not work with earlier players.

I've had my copy since Thursday...suckas! Sorrry, just had to do that. This is one of the perks of being in the music biz. I've been too busy training for a triathlon but I'm going to give it a spin today. I did notice something weird on the packaging. On audio setup there are 2 choices for 5.1 one with a higher bit-rate than the other along with a disclaimer stating that it might not work with earlier players.

Is it a DVD-A or SACD?

Geez, the forum is so slow I forget what the question was. Oh, now I remember.

I read a while ago that the aspect ratio is 4:3 as this is the aspect ratio the footage was originally filmed. They tried to develop a wider format, but lost too much information and decided it was best presented in 4:3. I also heard that since the original footage was shot on video, the video quality isn't quite on par with footage shot on film (like movies); however, the video quality is suppose to be superior to laserdisk. So I think it is the best were going to get. The audio track is suppose to kick a$$.

I guess we'll all find out how good it is tomorrow. Enjoy!

-PB

I picked it up yesterday at Circuit City as part of a 2 for $28 and free Wall DVD. Buy the PULSE DVD and the PULSE CD set and receive The Wall DVD for free. A smoking deal.

I watched the extras first. and started watching the concert. Friggin fabulous. Lots of extras. Videos and movies not all extras are in 5.1. I have the VHS, CD set and VCD from before, but who cares. Yes the aspect ratio is 4:3, still excellent.

Verna and I purchased our copy of the 'Pulse' DVD last night. The first Circuit City we went to in Dearborn (MI) was sold out. They called the other Circuit City in Taylor and asked them to hold a copy for us, which they did. The priced was marked $19.99 but it was on sale for $16.99, a nice surprise for the first day of release. We watched the concert footage, all 145 minutes of it (on 2 discs) as soon as we got home. There are actually over 4 hours of full disc content.

Our first surprise was the 5.1 Dolby Digital 640 kbps extended bandwidth offering on the disc. We tried selecting it and heard utter silence. Unfortunately, our Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai DVD player will not decode that bandwidth. I assume one needs the purchase a DVD-HD or Blu-Ray machine to read it? I don't know for sure, so please correct me if I am wrong. Regardless, we opted for the standard 5.1 Dolby Digital 448kbps bandwidth and the audio played flawlessly.

Edit: I tried the 640 kbps version on my PC and it played flawlessly. Time to get the owner's manual out for my Elite and see if there's an adjustment someplace!

With typical British composure, the band played soaring melodies and high-voltage power chords, accompanied by a light and laser show that would have been considered incomparable in 1994, and still stunning by today's standards. Granted, the DVD is mastered in native 4:3 aspect ratio because the concert was originally recorded onto videotape rather than on 35mm motion picture film. But the quality of this video has been tweaked to the level where I consider the slight fuzziness of the image and the color-shifts an non-issue. I placed the projector into "smart-stretch" mode and we didn't really miss the fact that it is not presented in 16:9 Widescreen. We felt that the impressive sound quality made up for any video deficits.

The band does not disappoint! David Gilmore proves again why his voice and guitar are major elements of Pink Floyd's unique sound. With the exception of a few numbers on which he expertly-played the pedal-steel guitar, Gilmore shredded his Fender Stratocaster mercilessly, grinding out power chord after sustained, power chord for which he's so famous. A couple of times, he switched to acoustical guitars and on the last number, "Run Like Hell" he played a Fender Telecaster. Regardless of the tool at hand, Gilmore is a master of the fret board.

Please forgive me if I get any of the following names wrong:

Equally impressive on guitar was Tim Renwick, who shared solos with Gilmore showing us a completely different, yet masterful technique. At one point, Dick Parry welded two saxophones around his neck (both a tenor and a baritone) at the same time in order to accommodate the rapid fire change-over in instrument requirements during the first song on the first DVD ("Shine on you crazy diamond").. Being a sax-player myself, gave me a huge appreciation for the unusually-written music typical of many Pink Floyd songs and the difficult "acrobatics: required of Parry on the sax' keys to cover all of the notes. It was amazing how he was able to recreate these classics live for the audience with note-for-note perfection.

Perhaps, it was simply his expertise masking the level of difficulty, but at times, it almost appeared that drummer, Nick Mason looked bored behind his drum kit. Don't get me wrong, the man held a steady tempo throughout the concert and played every note written with precision. But, he made it look so easy. In stark contrast, percussionist Gary Wallis was nearly doing back-flips in order to reach the upper cymbals hung high above his standing position. He was certainly fun to what. Richard Wright shined on the keyboards and added his vocals both to solos and to a few melodious duets with Gilmore: A nice, familiar blend indeed.

The overall sound was a bit reserved at times. For those of you using Pioneer Elite equipment, I played our VSX-49TXi receiver at the -10db level. The only times the volume sounded about as loud as I'd want it to go was during some of Gilmore's more-shrill, high-pitched sustained guitar notes and feedback. Also, there was some incredible bass energy periodically. Some of the bass was so low that you could not hear it, but you could feel it. I noticed a few new rattles in my roof I've never heard before. It's also the first time that something has set off a portion of our built-in bookcase! "Honey? Why are the encyclopedias moving?" The mix was incredible with all of those "weird, little voices" 'Floyd is famous for, popping out of every channel at times. "Money" was a lot of fun with metallic sound effects hitting all the channels.

To sum up, yeah, you could complain about the lack of a widescreen aspect ratio, the lack of a DTS soundtrack and the fact that the image isn't "Panavision Perfect". But, it is what it is: A concert filmed in 1994 using older analog video technology and I must give everyone involved credit for making the best of what they had to work with. I consider this DVD worth my wait, worth the price and I think it's a keeper. The only thing I could really say was missing is Roger Waters. But, staying away was Roger's choice to make and I must respect his decision. I hope you enjoy this DVD as much as we did. -Glenn

EDIT: Founding 'Floyd member, Syd Barrett, who performed with the band (from 1965 - 1968) writing, singing and playing guitar, passed away last week on July 7, 2006. May God bless him and his family.

post-10177-13819304410648_thumb.jpg

Lemme see if I understand properly, just how bad I shot myself in the foot...

I've ordered this through Amazon

It will be shipping anytime now

Mark is (buying) picking up my Khorns tonight

My Jubilees aren't scheduled to be built until July 28

I'll only have my tv speakers to listen to...

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I SOOOO screwed myself. Anyone got a pair of Bose I can borrow?

[:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@]

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I SOOOO screwed myself. Anyone got a pair of Bose I can borrow?

[:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@]

"Money" will probably come out sounding more like the Dixie Chicks banging pots and pans together! LOL! [;)]