The wait is over for Pink Floyd fans ..Pulse out on July 11!

pierceb

Just put on disc two and enjoy!!

Do not be a cheap skate...LOL>

Seriously, the lights... the show.. I loved it all.

WISH YOU WERE HERE just rocked!!!

Actually, I'd rather come and watch your copy, and hear that fine set-up of yours, I'm too cheap to buy a copy yet...................................Oh Yeah, and eat your popcorn..........................

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW, what a suprise! I never expected that DVD to be so good. I went out to the theater reluctantly. I was blown away at the quality of the DVD. I found new respect for the band. I couldn't help but keep thinking to myself that these guys have more musical tallent in one chest hair than 99% of all bands today.

And as far as the video, after readig this thread, now I know why all the people looked a little bit short and pudgy, I never changed my projector off of widescreen. [;)]

I will say this, I was a bit dissapointed in that they only played 3 songs from The Wall.

Glad you liked it m00n. I personnally don't see why people would 'wait and see' on this one. I don't think it is the best produced DVD concert ever, but I think it is pretty damn good considering the source material they had to work with, and is definitely a 'must have' for concert enthusiasts.

Audible N, there is no Astronomy Domine, but there is I think 4 extra songs (On the Turning Away, What Do You Want From Me, Marooned, and Poles Apart) on the Bootlegging the Bootleggers feature, Videos for Learning to Fly and Take it Back, a behind the scenes (roadie perspective) feature, and some other extras.

Personnally, my only real disappointments are: the video quality (should have shot it on film), and I would have liked to have seen more about the stage and lighting production. I could watch a whole DVD on that alone.

-PB

"Personnally, my only real disappointments are: the video quality (should have shot it on film), and I would have liked to have seen more about the stage and lighting production. I could watch a whole DVD on that alone.

-PB"

I agree, however the video quality is not too shabby considering. I too would love to see footage on the stage / lighting and effects!

AWESOME show!!!!

"Personnally, my only real disappointments are: the video quality (should have shot it on film), and I would have liked to have seen more about the stage and lighting production. I could watch a whole DVD on that alone.

-PB"

I agree, however the video quality is not too shabby considering. I too would love to see footage on the stage / lighting and effects!

AWESOME show!!!!

I'm confused, if it was not shot of film, what then? They didn't have digital camera technology back then did they?

Well, I somehow don't think the decision to use tape was just about the money, as there didn't appear to be any penny pinching with the overall show production. I think they were just considering the medium that the Pulse video was going to be issued, which was primarily VHS and some limited laserdisk at that time. So there wasn't any benefit to using film back then. I'm sure they have been regretting their decision since the on set of DVD, and I think the video quality on tape was one of the major factors in delaying the release of the DVD. From what I understand, they did spend some effort on dressing up the video from the original tapes.

I say they should just go on tour again, so that we can get some quality video on DVD![;)]

-PB

Regarding the production medium.....

This was originally a "Pay-Per-View" event. Therefore I feel pretty sure that the choice of medium (video) was determined by the original intent - a broadcast. I remember watching it the night of the PPV and just being awed by how good it looked.

Even better yet was being 9th row at the concert - and seeing them open with "Astronomy Domine"[:D] Best stadium concert evah........

Our local PBS station was doing a fund drive this past weekend and played this DVD over and over again...Of course, I had to have it! Found it at Barnes & Noble, and I picked up the Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" DVD at the same time.

Wow!!! I can't believe how good this DVD is! I played it on my crappy JVC DVD/VCR combo, through my 2-channel system. The sound was simply awesome! I've never seen Pink Floyd live, but I really think I've missed something special.

Haven't played the "Live at Pompeii" disk yet, but I can't wait to. I visited Pompeii so many times while living in Italy. I'm trying to picture in my mind what the amphitheatre looks like with a rock concert going on.

Dale

I did read the production notes (somewhere) on the concert and Gilmore admitted that the single, biggest stumbling block was tweaking the video quality. Apparently, not by the band's choice, and for the reasons mentioned here earlier (Pay-Per-View broadcast) the concert was filmed in analog videotape rather than on film. The push for a 16:9 aspect picture on the DVD was abandoned after numerous attempts by Gilmore to expand the image had failed to produce what Gilmore considered an acceptable image quality. The decision was then made to release the DVD only in native 4:3 format and concentrate instead on the sound quality.

I did notice the less-than-sharp image quality, but the sound, in my opinion, more than makes up for the concert's visual shortcomings. Let's remember: This was filmed back in 1994 (12 years ago), back when we were all still on Windows 3.x!! The technology just wasn't there yet, but that didn't stop these guys from putting on a light show that would still impress anyone today in 2006! I very much enjoy watching this DVD set again and again.

I agree Picky. I have voiced my opinion about the sound, but have recently taken on a whole new fondness of the audio, and just the whole experience. I agree there is only so much they can do with a concert recorded 12 years ago. I have listened to it numerous times, so much so, that my girlfriend asks, "Are you listening to that AGAIN?" Very good.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been caring on for weeks about the Pulse......sounds great on my average little system........pictures fine........Maybe, just maybe, because I am NOT a big Pink Floyd it was better for me, No big Expectations, no high hopes, No David or Roger crap to cloud the performance, just Pink Floyd giving me a show, and a FINE SHOW it is. What a great disc the second one is, Dark Side of the Moon, great group of Musicians on that stage, love the female back up singers, the saxophone, the whole damn package is Top Shelf, and I am proud to own it.....................YEAH I LIKED IT................Run Rabbit Run........

• 2 weeks later...