OT: Comfort style bicycles

Colin

OK, that one got stolen, I moved 3 more times. Now I am looking at copies inspired by the Townie and finding that a large corporation offers models with more features: front and seat shocks, adjustable handlebar stem, one-piece down tube, seven (albeit external) gears, but with a 34-tooth, hill climbing, rear sprocket (there are no real hills in Tampa, but there are bridges).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So now I am getting:

Red Giant Suede

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?model=11312

Dont know why, but the original thread is locked:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/378131.aspx

And no, this has nothing to do with the Tour d' France, although I am kinda paying attnetion to the race. Has more to do with summer and it takes me this long to make up my mind.[:P]

Colin,

That looks like a very easy and comfortable bike to ride and probably is good quality to boot.

.......and sure.........getting a new bike because were not getting any younger is a perfectly good reason to upgrade. Wow, a nine year old bike, at least you probably got your moneys worth of riding.

I've got an inexpensive Schwinn Sidewinder 2.6 FS front suspension mountain bike with treadless Continental road tires that I haven't riden in a year (don't know why really). It's a great riding 21 speed bike on the cheap, especially with slick rubber tires since all I do is paved trails and bike paths around our town's many lakes...I should get back into the habit of riding again. Thanks, Colin for the inspiration!

Even though I don't ride anymore going into a bicycle store is a real treat, they have come so far with technology since the 60's and 70's. Back then one manufacturer put dual brake pads on the rear and at the time it seemed so advanced.

The wife does not know how to ride but I once thought about putting her on one of those goofy three wheelers. My wife is 54 and has never ridden a bike, her parents should be sent to their room without dinner for not teaching her how to ride.

I did not get any of these posts! I got the Electra Townies 2 years ago because I was going for nightly jaunts and might commute along the sidewalks to work. Comfort and safety was the primary consideration. Since something like 60% of bicycle accidents happened at night and a reflective vest improves viability 75%, I got a fluorescent orange vest too. The Cannondale looks nice, but I did not see them at my local shop. I do not need a lot of gear range, although I do have a 34 tooth rear sprocket. I do not need it though, even on overpass bridges, which is about as steep as it gets in mostly flat <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Tampa. Girlfriend, library, BK and Block buster are all about 3 miles away. Got removable front basket and OnGuard local and cable with $1250 of insurance I am an old man now!

Love the bike. So easy to hop on for a ride, Quite comfortable, very adjustable. Local bike shop ordered it without deposit and fitted me, but I may ease the handle bars back a bit. No pain after riding it 3 times in 3 days. [:P]

Dee,

They retail in the $300 to $500 range. I do not recommend getting a used bike, not saying there is anything wrong with the used bike but what you really want is to be properly fit and a good bike shop can do that for you and it will make your riding much more enjoyable and productive. There is more to being properly fit that just having it feel kind of comfortable. Cycling is phenomenal exercise and you can start easy and work up to whatever you want.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=3060

R/Jim

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=3060'>

The fit with the comfort style bikes seems to a lot less important than with traditional road racing style cycles. First, you are seated upright, so there is not so much need to fit the frame (and top tube) to the rider. Second, the handlebar stem and seat post are long, plus the stem angle is adjustable.

The more expensive the bike the lighter it gets, which is great when you are going uphill or just want to go for a longer ride. The less expensive bike have heavier frame, wheels, rims, gears, pedals, etc... Buy what you can afford and get the bike shop to fit the bike to you, you will appreciate the time because the ride will be more enjoyable on your knees and back.

For interest sake, this is what I take for a ride.

post-6396-1381930438804_thumb.jpg

Dont know why they even bother with the different gender models, since the top tube is not in the way no matter the gender of the rider. The frame is universal. It fits all sizes. Extra strong seat tubes and adjustable handlebar headsets make up the differences between riders. Plus, as the industry moves to a Henry Ford style of bike colors only one or two per model the comfort cycles could really be going in the opposite direction. Lots of color choices. Simply let the dealers fit the bike of your color choice with the equipment of your choice.

The Giant, like other comfort bikes, is a cross really between the relaxed, upright posture of the cruiser and the technology of the mountain or trail bike. Like the trail bikes, it has strong but light frame, wide tires, shocks and gears.

The wide tires on the ones I have seen usually have smooth center ribs, so street riding is on a narrow and fast surface. The width of the tires makes quick transitions from road to sidewalk to grass to trail easy, safe and secure. No thin, lightweight 10-speed commutes as easily in the varied urban environment as a mountain or trail style bike. This cruiser-trail bike combo handles a variety of terrains and surfaces with aplomb. [:D]

Along with the shocks, the wide tires not only absorb rough roads, they also eat up the riders energy. These are not fast bikes. The wide gear ratio is sufficient for the rolling hills around <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Tampa. But even in the seventh gear (smallest sprocket on the rear cluster), on the down-side of a hill, this bike doesnt pass the cars. Neither is the lowest (34-teeth) sprocket wheel really necessary, except on the longest, steepest hills, which in Tampa are Lilliputian compared to the rest of country (elevation is only 56-59 feet just how steep can a hill be?).

No, the second gear is great for starting off from a dead stop or short rises, the three to five gears are wonderful for the gentle up and down of roads to keep your pedal speed consistent. If I remember correctly, the most energy efficient way to use a bicycle is to maintain a steady pedal rate, up and down hills. This rate should be something like 120 to 150% of your resting pulse.

In other words, if your resting pulse rate is about 80, your pedal revolutions per minute should be about 96. It seems high at first, I know, but after a while, it becomes effortless. The gears then, are used to regulate, not bike speed, but pedal speed. You use them to maintain a steady pedal rhythm. If your resting pulse is 60, use the gears to adjust the pressure against your legs so that you are

pedaling at a 72 beat per minute rate. Use the gears this way and you will go longer, further and easier.

• 6 months later...