Admit it, who has it?

Jay481985

I struggled with sleep for years, I set my alarm but was ALWAYS awake when it went off. When my Mom passed last September I really lost it and ended up seeing a Doctor. He put me on Remeron which is awful stuff if you ask me, but it sure makes you sleep. As a matter of fact that's all I wanted to do when I was on it, I couldn't work for awhile and had to take a long nap every morning. I would feel better as the day went on but would take it before bed as perscribed and the whole thing would start over. I told the Doctor I didn't want that any more so he put me on Paxil. I feel normal now and have no trouble sleeping anymore and am very often awakened by my alarm.

I have the same hamster problem Clarence describes. It takes mental discipline to overcome it and I haven't practiced lately. I hate to take things to help, most pills do with varying effects the next day. Ironically, when I absolutely have to get up early I won't take anything for fear of oversleeping! Just about anything that takes the edge off seems to work on me (ambien, valium, tylenol pm, doxylamine, etc.).

I think its pillows. Get a king size pillow with 100% cotton pillowcases and sleep on your side holding the pillow and you must have another pillow between your legs. Damn if that doesn't work for me. And I did the whole nap during the day and toss all night thing too before I started with the pillow between the legs. If you're restless and uncomfortable, you'll never get to sleep, but being very comfortable makes a big difference--

I can't sleep now without the pillow between the legs, but thats beside the point -- it works. All those PMs and drugs make you groggy--and get off this Forum by midnight--

I struggled with sleep for years, I set my alarm but was ALWAYS awake when it went off. When my Mom passed last September I really lost it and ended up seeing a Doctor. He put me on Remeron which is awful stuff if you ask me, but it sure makes you sleep. As a matter of fact that's all I wanted to do when I was on it, I couldn't work for awhile and had to take a long nap every morning. I would feel better as the day went on but would take it before bed as perscribed and the whole thing would start over. I told the Doctor I didn't want that any more so he put me on Paxil. I feel normal now and have no trouble sleeping anymore and am very often awakened by my alarm.

I took remeron too... it dissolved in your mouth and had a bit of lemony/mediciny aftertaste, yuck! Didn't work. Paxil either.

I think its pillows. Get a king size pillow with 100% cotton pillowcases and sleep on your side holding the pillow and you must have another pillow between your legs. Damn if that doesn't work for me. And I did the whole nap during the day and toss all night thing too before I started with the pillow between the legs. If you're restless and uncomfortable, you'll never get to sleep, but being very comfortable makes a big difference--

I can't sleep now without the pillow between the legs, but thats beside the point -- it works. All those PMs and drugs make you groggy--and get off this Forum by midnight--

I have like 5 pillows for me to find a good position. Two of them are kingsized and one is between the legs. I guess I sleep on my side, sometimes on my stomach. rarely straight on my back.

The items Michael mentioned on sleep hygiene are definitely a good starting point.

I think the over-the-counter stuff (Excedrine PM, etc) that uses an antihistamine or dextromethorphan may knock you out, but it disrupts sleep architecture so you don't get the same kind of rest as normal sleep. Alchohol is like that, too--you may be face down in the carpet for a few hours but you don't feel very rested when you wake up.

Trazodone and Remeron are also poor choices, IMO. They are antidepressants that stay in your system all day, so they may help you sleep but you're drowsy all the time. Plus they are probably no better than the above for sleep architecture. Mostly they get prescribed because they are cheap and health plans want you to use cheap meds so they don't have to pay.

Melatonin is a naturally-occuring nutritional supplement which works about as well as any nutritional supplement. In other words, I think you would be better off spending your money on boutique speaker cable.

Ambien or Ambien CR are different preparations of the same molecule (zolpidem tartrate) and is the best hypnotic out there, IMO. I have used both forms and I choose dosage and type based on how much time I have before I have to be functional again. Ambien has some risks, like any med that actually does something, but it has been around for more than 10 years and the risks are minimal and well known. Although it is a controlled substance (which is why it is restricted in rehabs, etc) it is not a narcotic. The reason it is controlled has more to do with the history of hypnotics (i.e. Haldol) rather than the actual risks of the drug. This med is much safer than being sleep deprived and then falling asleep while driving!

Just my two cents--not a qualified medical opinion!

Up late again,

triceratops

Jackson...there HOT!!!!

Ummmm, used to have a hard time sleepinmg at night, then I got seperated and eventially divorsed....that helped some..

Worries of the world later in life really does it.

Also, I did the sleep aptnia test and found out I had restless leg syndrome which is where a person unknowingly jerks there legs at night. Dr. put me on a Parkinsons med for about a year and it went away.

I also upgraded my bedding to 800 count sheet threads and spent like $80 per down pillow. Heck if we spend 1/3 of our life in bed (right) don't skimp.

Still take a sleeping pill though...while there non-adictive...I will rip the beating heart out of the person who tries to take them from me....ummm...just kidding.

Stress to me has everything to do with sleep.

did he give you mes tropomine or something like that?

Also one thing that is important is the fact that sleeping with medication almost never puts you in stage 3 or stage 4 of rem sleep, the really deep sleep. This is where eye movements dart and where dreams happen. Most people who take medications never dream while they are on it due to not being in the proper REM stage. It usually fluctuates though many times in the night.

I have like 5 pillows for me to find a good position. Two of them are kingsized and one is between the legs. I guess I sleep on my side, sometimes on my stomach. rarely straight on my back.

the pillow I put between my legs has a hole in it.

the pillow I put between my legs has a hole in it.

Who needs sleep with a pillow like that?