OT: New Sunglasses

Indyjeep

Yes, that's a copy of the vintage Maxell poster. I've looked around a little for info on the new one, which is supposedly available free. There's quite alot of material on google, mostly posts on different forums about the new poster. I was not able to make a successful contact with Maxell on the phone or e-mail in requesting the new poster. One thing I think I did see was a pic of the new poster. It "recalls" the vintage theme, but is not an exact copy of the original, which I had hoped for.

There are some reproductions of the original and an occasional original poster on Ebay. The repros run about $20 and look pretty good.

Info I found was to simply send an email to Maxell tech support, techsupp@maxell.com and give them your name and address. I just did it and we'll see what happens!

BTW, I've been looking for that poster for a long time now to put up on my wall by my stereo!

I wear a pair of Ray-Ban RB2030 Predator 8's. While style and how they looked/fit on my face was a consideration, I also chose them because I knew I'd be wearing them on my motorcycle. Therefore, glass lenses was a must since polycarbonates scratch waaaaaay too easy and I didn't want to have to baby them. Second, they needed to be narrow enough in height that they'd fit inside of my helmet. I also wanted something that "wrapped around" my face to give me a certain amount of eye protection in the event I wanted to ride with my faceshield up. And lastly, my personal preference is a grey tint. The RB2030's fit the bill perfectly and I think I got them for around $100.

Tom

• Moderators

Sunburn,

With a name like that you have to be an expert. I agree with your Revo reccomendation whole heartedly. I just wish I could catch them on sale, I have never been able to (they were bought out by RayBan I believe, and I believe RayBan is now owned by SunGlass Hut. Talk about verticle intergration). I bought my first pair in the mid 80's and really debated about it since I usually went through a pair a year. I think I lost that pair after 5 years. Second pair lasted about ten, and I am on my third pair. If you are not prone to losing or breaking a pair yearly then they are the only way to go. I noticed after paying that kind of money for a pair of sunglasses that you tend to not be so careless with them and have less chance of losing them. It's like an expensive pen, I have yet to lose one of those (good secret, by the way, on not losing a good pen is that if anyone wants to borrow it just give them the pen, keep the cap in your hand, then you know they will have to give it back to you).

I bought my wife a pair of Maui Jim's for her birthday and she wears them all the time and loves them. She used to rotate amoung a few different designer brands, but almost wears these exclusively (unless they clash with what she is wearing). She really like the way they cut the glare, the natural color, etc. That sounds like a good way to go as well.

Travis

• Moderators

Been wearing Revo's since 1988... until this year.

They're now owned by RayBan (I've owned plenty of those too) and the quality of the glass and frames has gone to crap.

I recommend looking for some vintage Revos in good condition on ebay.

I never, ever, EVER thought I would own Joke-leys...

but I put a pair of teh Gascans on my skull and the fit me perfectly. I'm not too happy about the grey lense (I like the orangey looking one) but I was in a pinch.

Nuke,

I did not see your earlier post when I listed my comments about Revo. I knew they had been bought out by RB, but I am very sad to hear that the quality has gone down. Now I am afraid to wear my last pair. Never thought to look on ebay for them, might give that a try to see if they have my favorite style. Does anyone know if Sunglass Hut owns Rayban? That is what I have heard.

Travis

I have long been thinking about purchasing another pair of Revo's just for the heck of it . In light of the fact that they are now owned by Ray Ban I think I'll pass , unless they are vintage .

I myself have blue eyes which are more succeptable to the Sun's rays than say folks with brown eyes are . My old H2O Polorised Revos have done me a great service throughout the years that I have owned them . They have been everywhere . They really shine when worn by the water . They simply make your eyes comfortable , especialy if your eyes are sensitive to the Sun as mine are .

Does anyone know if Sunglass Hut owns Rayban? That is what I have heard.

Travis

RayBan is owned by Luxottica. Luxottica owns LensCrafters, Pearle, and Sunglass Hut. They also own a lot of the big designer name glasses. I don't know if the Revo sunglasses are actually made by Ray-Ban, or if they are just owned by the same company?

Polarized and glass lenses try Maui Jims.. I have been very very happy with mine.

I can see right through the water in them, and love them too. Many styles, terrific lenses.

Most important, they really do give you a very very clear picture through very bright sunlight, and protect you too.

I remember in the mid to late 80's when Vaurnets were the coolest. Getting out of college, everyone I knew had to have a pair. They'd go for the seemingly high price of $70 to $90. Then REVO came out of no where, charged three times as much and blew Vaurnet out of the water. Everybody had to have them. One of the best pricing strategies I've ever seen.

When it comes to style, it's hard to beat the Italians. I like Persols right now.