sonic characteristics of cornwall vs. rf-7

Arky

This IS NOT intended to be a flame post. Search function doesn't work.

I own deang'd rf-7's which I like very much. There is a pair of 85 Cornwall's for sale fairly

local to me. I have never heard the Cornwall. Small town in Arkansas & no heritage dealer.

My understanding is this wouldn't be a good match in multi-channel configuration. So use

would be for a 2nd system. Would you smart 2 channel guys tell me what I will hear

before I take the drive tommorrow.

Thanks!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew I could count on colter & who @ least.

These are owned by some dr. They are sitting in his garage. He doesn't have any electronics at the moment.

I guess I will just go buy the damn things regardless.

DO it! I've had mine for about 25 years & I've never regreted the purchase for a second. However, I'd take along a boombox or some other source (don't need much power) just so you can make sure everything is working.

James

I've got a lot of listening time in on both. The RF's have a very smooth presentation with very fast bass. The Cornwalls have a more forward midrange and a very formidable bass.

I think the Cornwall is wonderful for jazz. I'd prefer the RF, I think, for rock unless the recording is mixed VERY well. Most of the rock recordings I've heard are very compressed and they come out very hot in the midrange. The Cornwall, more than the RF,will mercilessly reveal the shortcomings of poor recordings and glorify instantly the good ones.

Cornwalls like tubes, too [:P]

Chris

Thanks guys

Meeting the seller at the hospital where he works in the morning so no testing just a leap of faith. He says all components original & working. 9 of 10 cosmetically.

What is a pair of burned out drivered 85 cornwalls worth anyhow?

Arky,

I'm not sure of your question, this sounds like a near mint pair of CW's. What is a pair of CW's worth with burned out drivers? Do you mean like if you had a worst case scenario as to actual condition of the CW's?

Has the seller named an asking price?

Dee you are correct - worst case scenario. Seller states near mint condition.

My burned out comment was tongue in cheek - I hope. Seller traded the original owner a pair of professional spks for these CW's awhile back. Current owner used the CW's until 2 months ago when he stored in the garage for selling.

Selling price was $800 2 months ago. He quoted me $600 a couple weeks ago. I offered

$500 yesterday & he accepted. Pick up scheduled for tommorrow morning.

Dee you are correct - worst case scenario. Seller states near mint condition.

My burned out comment was tongue in cheek - I hope. Seller traded the original owner a pair of professional spks for these CW's awhile back. Current owner used the CW's until 2 months ago when he stored in the garage for selling.

Selling price was $800 2 months ago. He quoted me $600 a couple weeks ago. I offered

$500 yesterday & he accepted. Pick up scheduled for tommorrow morning.

$500 for nice cornwalls, let alone 9/10. Why are you even wasting time with this thread, GO GET 'EM!!!!!!!!!!