the chronicles of the coyotee-o and miketn khj's (klipschorn jubilee)

Andy,

"... in the steady state."

I'm not sure what you mean by a stedy state. I would think a steady state would be the hardest for of distortion to hear. Music is vertually random with respect to phases with everything changeing continuously. My experiment was with 3 seperate signal generators, two adjusted as closely to the 3rd and 5th harmonic and the other making the fundamental at 1 Khz. I adjusted the frequency of each as closely as I could, first with a frequency counter and then to stabilize the waveform on ths scope. That was as "steady" as I could make it. I was able to get each signal to less then 1 Hz from where it should be. That means 360 degrees per second of phase error change. Only for instaneous points in time were the phases all correct. A true square wave would have a fixed phase relationship no matter how shifted each harmonic was from the proper phase. That would seem to be the "steadiest" state! Anyhow, I was not able to hear any changes as the phase of each rotated through 360 degrees! I therefore concluded that I would not be able to detect a signal that had it's harmonics scrambled in phased with respect to each other in a fixed way compare to one with its harmonics phased correctly.

AL K.

cabinet1.jpg

I'm sooo sorry in advanced but that bare wood cabinet looks like a tv should be on top and there should be a handle in the middle with cds on the side.... I will goto my corner now..... (As I goto my corner I scream, where is the HF Horn!!!)

hey jaylongnumber

the cabinets are in raw form and are not finished yet. hf horns are coming up in final assy. besides this is the fun part...one big jigsaw puzzle....

roy

and after one more push and one loud scream, out it pops.....

Well Roy I see it's not going to be much longer before I have some new Jubilee Babies in the House.[:D]

hey miketn

get the crib ready and i am sure that you are going to dread those long sleepless nights....

roy

Roy, question: Are you building ONLY our 4, or are you also doing a production run of them for a larger order? Do I still have time to request Rosewood finish?

we make a monthly alottment for our forecast. there are theaters that like these puppies for their screens. but this month, these four are all yours as miss donna is doing something a little special for miketn and you.

as to the rosewood finish, triple j, are you still interested?

roy

djk,

That experiment is testing a person's abiltiy to hear each single component of a waveform TWICE. If a 6 db / octive filter was used there is a huge overlap where both drivers are making the same sound. If the two are out of time you hear each component twice. That casues a smear at low delay errors. Time alignment would be necessary. If, on the other hand, an extreme-slope network was used, each driver would make only the components (overtones) of the spectrum assigned to it. You would then NOT be able to hear the time errors because you ear is deaf to phase errors between components of a complex waveform. Time alignment would no longer be necessary.

I proved that to myself by mixing together 3 seperate stand-alone sine-wave signal generators together to create a simulated square wave of 1, 3 and 5 Khz in the proper proportions. I listend to the combination through headphones while watching the sum on an oscilloscope. The waveform squirmed through all possible phase relationships of the three as I watched and listnened. Even while watching the scope for visual clues the sound was a continuous raspy tone. I (at least) can NOT hear phase (time) relationships between the fundamental and the overtones.

BTW: again, I would love to hear Roy's thoughts about this. PLEASE!

Al K.

hey alkberg

won't say too much here, maybe somewhere else. the way i understand it, the two are related but not the same (kinda of like speed and velocity (or maybe even acceleration), remember i said kinda for a simple mind like me requires simple). although, some have been able to use passive elements to do a rough crude approximation of delay (the word is used loosely), it's not free; as you mentioned insertion loss as one. i also did run into, courtesy of mr. hunter, a patent by the jbl guys, i believe, where they patented a form of a passive all pass filter. saw it, read it, pondered it, interesting. sorry out of words here.

roy

Yes, it looks so simple when THEY do it!

Am I allowed to ask the question 'how much per pair'?

"about a hundred dollars"

roy

Fine, I'll take 5!

"these four are all yours as miss donna is doing something a little special for miketn and you."

But I want something a little special too, hope it's available at a later date!

btw, Roy, you're the only one to ever call me Mikey and live to tell about it. I just wanted you to know how truly special you are to me!

but this month, these four are all yours as miss donna is doing something a little special for miketn and you.

roy

So as you look in the mouth of these & see the little "CD holder shelves", are you telling me that Miss Donna is going to bake us some blueberry pies (Blueberries suppled by BerryBoy) and those little "cd holder shelves" will ALSO do double duty as a pie rack???

Hmmm...I can see it now

"Pies cool yet Richard" asks the wife

"nope, still steaming hot" say I after sticking my finger into one

"Well honey, you're just gonna have to CRANK THEM UP to blow more air over them" she says, ever so lovingly

"yes dear, I understand your every command and shall obey"

[A]

If I were getting a pair made today, I'd be sure to get more than a couple of autographs on them (Like Roy's and the final assembler's for starters)

Michael

Ya know... (BerryBoy, are you listening?) how cool would it be to have Miss Valerie's signature??

hmm... (that poor lady must think we're all a bunch of mental cases [li])

Heck, while we're at it...where's AMYYYYYYYYYYYYY????

I want her signature too! maybe roy can mail them up to Amy for her & Trey to sign before they come to us? [6]