the chronicles of the coyotee-o and miketn khj's (klipschorn jubilee)

and so coyotee-o and mike tn, end the thread by posting pixs of the jubs when they get to your house..... i hope everyone liked the pixs.

and for all you Jesus Freaks (like me), i am asking for your prayers. i leave in the morning for 8 days for the dominican republic on a medical mission trip to do a little work that the Lord asked me to do. take care.

berryboy roy

SURELY that isn't a speck of DUST I see on top??? [6]

Actually Roy (if you're still here) I hope you get your email. I responsed to you earlier & ...well, I guess I'll just put it here.

Seems the EV's are on backorder & on way. they are 2 to 3 weeks out from what I understand.

I would really love to get these playing, even if in a limited capacity. I was wondering what your thoughts might be if I used an extra one of Al's 'extreme slope' networks?

I think it's the ES600 and if that's the right number, I think it crosses the bass bin over at 600.

I'd hope to ask Al if I could send you the schematic of it to get your thoughts as to if it would at least, let me hobble along with some sound. (perhaps I should ask Al first if he'd let me)

I just don't want to get these lugged into my living room and have my wife cackling at me that I went through all this and can't get them to play. [:$]

I've been looking at buying another 'cheapie' active xover, but they're still a couple hundred and if I can get by with the passive I already have on hand (granted, it won't be a "GOOD" fit), I'd like to try it.

I mainly fear screwing someting up since all this passive crossover stuff, is akin to voo-doo, to me.

Any gut thoughts? I don't want to do it if you (or Al) think i might damage a speaker.

[:)]

and so coyotee-o and mike tn, end the thread by posting pixs of the jubs when they get to your house..... i hope everyone liked the pixs.

and for all you Jesus Freaks (like me), i am asking for your prayers. i leave in the morning for 8 days for the dominican republic on a medical mission trip to do a little work that the Lord asked me to do. take care.

berryboy roy

Roy, again thanks for all the pictures and a very special thanks to you and all the Klipsch folks in Hope for their hard work on our Jubilees. How really special all of you have made these Jubilees.

Please tell Jake I said hello. I talked with him several times during the pilgrimage (a very nice man) and told him I was probably going to get some Jubilees.

My prayers for you and others with you while on your mission.

mike tn[:)]

Actually Roy (if you're still here) I hope you get your email. I responsed to you earlier & ...well, I guess I'll just put it here.

Seems the EV's are on backorder & on way. they are 2 to 3 weeks out from what I understand.

I would really love to get these playing, even if in a limited capacity. I was wondering what your thoughts might be if I used an extra one of Al's 'extreme slope' networks?

I think it's the ES600 and if that's the right number, I think it crosses the bass bin over at 600.

I'd hope to ask Al if I could send you the schematic of it to get your thoughts as to if it would at least, let me hobble along with some sound. (perhaps I should ask Al first if he'd let me)

I just don't want to get these lugged into my living room and have my wife cackling at me that I went through all this and can't get them to play. [:$]

I've been looking at buying another 'cheapie' active xover, but they're still a couple hundred and if I can get by with the passive I already have on hand (granted, it won't be a "GOOD" fit), I'd like to try it.

I mainly fear screwing someting up since all this passive crossover stuff, is akin to voo-doo, to me.

Any gut thoughts? I don't want to do it if you (or Al) think i might damage a speaker.

coyotee-o,

i sent you an email back.

a passive could get you by. can alkberg make the crossover from the schematic i sent you? you see the crossover is a "balancing network". it has crossovers and eq's the amplitude to get a flat response. see what alkberg says and doesn't deang do them as well?

berryboy roy

berryboy roy

Roy, again thanks for all the pictures and a very special thanks to you and all the Klipsch folks in Hope for their hard work on our Jubilees. How really special all of you have made these Jubilees.

Please tell Jake I said hello. I talked with him several times during the pilgrimage (a very nice man) and told him I was probably going to get some Jubilees.

My prayers for you and others with you while on your mission.

mike tn[:)]

hey miketn,

thanks for the prayers...

and are we talking about the same Jake..... just kidding....

berryboy roy

uhhhh, the one with speck of dust is miketn's....

berryboy roy

Didn't get the email yet.

The passive I have is designed for something more like the LaScala. I havn't asked anyone about making the design you gave as I'd presume it would cost a couple dollars and I'm wondering if I can simply hobble along (with degraded sound) with the passive I have (I've got 3 of them and only using 1)

If the one I have "can't" work (as opposed to "will work, but will sound crappy) then I'll simply sit on my thumbs and do nothing until the EV arrives.

I'm just antsy to hear these things

As Mike said, thanks to you and EVERYONE at Klipsch for what you've done here. I'm excited and I'm sure my wife is excited for me ([+o(]) but hey, she DID say I could do it! [G]

Hey Roy, that's really cool! You'll have to give us "Jesus Freaks" an account of the trip when you get back.

Coytee, I think you will be fine using that crossover. I personally

would try it out, but that's not exactly a qualified opinion. [;)] If

you're worried, then just keep the volume down and don't get crazy.

You'll hear it sounding like crap before anything is about to blow up

(usually). How's that for comforting? You might wanna check in with Al

to make sure there isn't anything funky with his crossover and wildly

varying impedances. I can imagine that it's rather picky to the load

its presented.

Coytee,

I think my ES600 will work ok for a while. I forgot one important thing though. The EQ that Roy mentioned is missing from the ES600 network. I have a design for one of those in my "Heresy on steroids" speaker in my den running the Beyma CP09 CD tweeters. It's just and L-C in sereis and a single resistor across them. I think you could jurey rig that in the high frequency horn cable to get you in the ball park.

Who,

I agree that there is some point where the time dealy difference between the big bass woofer and the squawker will be a problem. I think though that PWK proved by experiment that it doesn't become a problem until the difference is more than even the bass delay of a Khorn. I think the best you can do without digital delay equipment is to see that you at least don't hear everything twice! That's what the ES networks do for you.

Al K.

Al, I'm mechanically inclined, not electronically inclined [:)] As such, that's all jibberish to me.

It did create a question in me though. Roy commented that a network is a balancing network and eq's the signal a bit. Fine.

You have the above, fine.

How do we know without hearing the speaker what needs eq'd and in what direction and by how much? Is it some form of standard?

Regardless... you say it's easy to do and if it's function of assembling & inserting, I can do that.

Would it be ok if I were to phone you later & talk about this a bit? (when I'm at work...[6])

For what it's worth, PWK never discussed this particular time issue

really - he was talking about other timing issues which are a bit

irrelevant. In fact, I think it was Roy that had to sell PWK on the

concept - I'm sure Roy can enlighten us PWK's later thoughts on the

issue. I remember him talking about it, but it was information overload

at the time. I do know that the ability to accurately measure in the

time-domain didn't exist until more recently and PWK was always

adamently against concepts that couldn't be measured.

I totally agree that super-slope networks minimize the overlap issues,

but I'd argue there are issues outside the overlap as well. The way I

understand it, time-alignment works to get the system correct on-axis

and then crossover slopes should be chosen to optimize off-axis

response. In a horizontally aligned system steeper will generally be

better for the vertical (another time-delay), but the horizontal can

often beneft from a slower slope. The rates of the slopes are also

going to affect the distortion characteristics of the speaker, which

will be an integral part of the voicing process (some distortions sound

better than others). I believe the conclusion is that it's a system of

compromises - there is no ideal so we must let our ears do the choosing

(taking into account the knowledge of everything that is going on).

It's all just tools in the bag.