SETs vs old SS � Listening experiments

pauln

He uses his 300B amp with a pair of Zephyr Triangles, normally not the Cornwalls. His brother has the Cornies, although now heavily modified.

I use no sub on my LS either. Plenty of punch. The lowest bass I hear, like an open "b" string on a five string bass, is there, although not a knock you over there. Again, probably getting help from room gain.

My H/K 430 arrives today. It will be fun to swap it in for the SETs for a while. Twentyfive wpc ought to make a difference.

Bruce

Iron Maiden...bleh![+o(] Now if it was AC/DC or Led Zepp, oh yeah...I can attest to that sounding excellent on my SET amp thru the Cornwalls (and my Triangles)![Y]

Are you using just your power source, or are you running a sub?

OB, if you were referring to jt1stcav's post - he doesn't need a sub as he is running Cornwalls instead of LaScalas.

Has he carpeted his living room since the flood yet?

next up, I think I have Cornwalls coming, ....

Saaaay, O.B.

got that Sawzall ready...

to help get them Cornie's in yer Silver Bullet......

NAH, I'll probably have to bring my Outback Wagon............If I bring the 911 I'd have to blow your Corvette Off......Don't want you to be upset.......You'll want to buy it, and how would I get the Speakers and silverware home???????

I never could get subs to sound right with my Klipschorns -- after three tries I gave up.

I would blaim the khorns... [:o][:)]

Though you're definetly in a rather small space - khorns sound better the smaller the room you get them in.

Dean:

Finally got RSW-15 Sub to sound good with Khorns by aiming the active end of sub back toward one Khorn (RSW is against the wall), bouncing off angled front of Khorn and no doubt creeping through KH side grille all the way to corner (Belle takes up center position, therefore can't put sub there) getting in phase, so both drivers are moving cooperatively, sub set at -3 or -4 dB (relative) for music, and flat for movies, x-over at 40 Hz. The preamp is set to give the full range (inc deepest bass) to the Khorn, while giving deep bass only to the sub. I had to laboriously slide sub back and forth along the wall a bit to tune ... ended up about 30" from edge of Khorn and about 60" from room corner behind Khorn. Combo is pretty damn flat all through bass down to 20 Hz in music position, and pretty tight, since Khorn is handling the leading edge of most bass attack, including the beater to head impact of timpani and bass drum.

All:

Isn't TIM distortion one of the primary drawbacks to too much feedback? Is that just another way of describing the poor transients you folk are mentioning? I never hear TIM mentioned anymore. PWK wanted it named after the person who wrote the papers of about it in the late 70s .... Otala? Olata?

First few CDs worth of listening on the LS with the H/K 430.

The Moondogs will definitely be going back into the main system after a few more days. Josh and I spun a few CDs we are familiar with, and have quite recently listened to. For example, he listened to an Iron Maiden CD on Saturday, with the Moondogs cranked up. HE said it sounded great (I don't necessariy like them but that's another story). Bass is there on the 'dogs' but not quite as even as on the SS. Mids and highs ere exceptional. On the H/K, the mids and highs actually sounded a bit compressed and not as clean. The bass was louder, making the balance a bit more even, but a bit soft as well.

We played some Martina McBride, Wild Angels, which has excellent bass on it. The engineering on teh whole album it good. Again, the H/K has more bass, but not necessarily any better and once again, the Moondogs mids and highs bested the H/K.

This could go on and on. The H/K was a little more fatigueing to listen to for a long period of time. We used an SPL meter and had the levels pretty much the same as I normally listen. Cranked a bit higher on occasion, but I didn't like that as much on either amp.

The truth be told, the Moondogs should walk all over the H/K 430. Why? Even new, the H/K didn't come near the cost, and overall, even though the 430 is a nice amp and functions properly, the Moondogs are probably in better shape electronically.

Bottom line is - the H/K is a nice amp for the money, and I will certainly keep it (not as good as Joshua's $30 purchase of an H/K 430, though). I do have other speaker systems in the house with no amp to drive them. This will fill the bill nicely. I am certainly satisfied with the purchase and thank Neil for sending it my way.

I will also be keeping the Moondogs. They are pure pleasure for ME to listen to. I never want to stop listening when I have them on and playing music. And that is the final reason, I want to continue listening, to put on another CD, and another... The other amp isn't bad by any stretch, but just doesn't quite draw me in. The sound just isn't as inviting and that is what it is all about for me.

I've made enough purchases for now, and need to spend money on more serious things.

Later

Bruce

Dean:

Finally got RSW-15 Sub to sound good with Khorns by aiming the active end of sub back toward one Khorn (RSW is against the wall), bouncing off angled front of Khorn and no doubt creeping through KH side grille all the way to corner (Belle takes up center position, therefore can't put sub there) getting in phase, so both drivers are moving cooperatively, sub set at -3 or -4 dB (relative) for music, and flat for movies, x-over at 40 Hz. The preamp is set to give the full range (inc deepest bass) to the Khorn, while giving deep bass only to the sub. I had to laboriously slide sub back and forth along the wall a bit to tune ... ended up about 30" from edge of Khorn and about 60" from room corner behind Khorn. Combo is pretty damn flat all through bass down to 20 Hz in music position, and pretty tight, since Khorn is handling the leading edge of most bass attack, including the beater to head impact of timpani and bass drum.

Bingo. Dean, you know that I have run a sub with much success in my Heritage system. Gary nailed the way to do it. The secret to incorporating a sub with Heritage is two-fold: 1) only have the sub do the deepest bass not covered by the mains (with very slight overlap); and 2) keep the sub at a modest input level. Gary crosses his sub on the upper end over at 40, which provides for a small overlap zone with his Klipschorns, and I cross my SVS over at 45 hz, which provides a small overlap zone for my Belles and my Altecs.

In contrast, I have found that by raising the upper crossover point (e.g. 60 to 80 hz), the additional overlap with the mains (especially horn-loaded bass) draws too much attention to the sub and the resulting bass sound in that region becomes bloated - as opposed to the goal of having a seamless and integrated bass experience. Similar to Gary, I also lower the sub volume when playing music (as opposed to movies). The key is sub moderation.

A flat-sounding sub also helps integration.

Carl.