SETs vs old SS � Listening experiments

pauln

AH YES, the old Gibson SG...............oh, sweet sounds of empty asprin bottles on the little finger running up and down the neck.......................the Les Paul,.........what can I say about them..............Love the Sunburst.......................Fine Gibson's both.....................don't forget the Firebird.........and Oh Yes ............the Flying V.............Sorry, alittle off subject............

Yes sir. PWK moved over to solid state just like most people. He was not an "amp guy," he was a speaker guy.

As you know, those "amp guys" admire the Klipsch line, being they are one of most inclusive speakers that exist, as they work with many amps. I'd be a little surprised if PWK never heard SET through his speakers. The linearity, reality and music that comes out with a good SET set up is hard to ignore. But I don't think anyone is saying he owned every amp that sounded good through them.

George Wright resting on a familiar looking Heritage.

pic9.jpg

"Reality" and "SET" are two words that should never be used together in a serious conversation.

I'm not saying that a SET amp won't work, in its own way. Similarly, my old WV Beetle with a 1300cc engine could have been used to pull a load of gravel. Silly me, I just never considered it up to the task! Thinking back on it though, maybe it would have pulled that load exquisitely, a lot better than some dumb ol' unsophisticated brute-force pickup truck.

We're all entitled to our opinions, Paul, and to your ears SET amps sound anemic, unrealistic, and aren't up to the task...to you (especially with that grand room of yours)! That's fine...we all hear differently.

I'm not a golden-eared audiophile, but to me my 8 WPC 300B SET rig in my tiny room, with both the efficient Cornwalls and Triangle Zephyrs, is anything but anemic and lifeless! To my ears, listening to a fine recording of Frederick Swann playing various organ compositions on the grand Aeolian-Skinner pipe organ at The Riverside Church in Manhatten, at 90dB levels is (given the tiny room) a pretty close interpretation of the live space and sound this instrument generates. Obviously I can't reach realistic levels with only 8 watts, nor would I want to in my small listening room. But for what it is and at the discounted prices I paid for it, it's a decent representation of SET topology with high sensitivity loudspeakers, and IMHO it's sounds very much real...to my ears!

Afterall, this is my system designed around my favorite music for my limited space, and its sonics are to my liking. I didn't put this system together to meet your approval, so maybe you should keep your SET-bashing comments to yourself...just my opinion, natch!

Listen to your music and enjoy it, Paul, and have a good day.

"Reality" and "SET" are two words that should never be used together in a serious conversation.

I'm not saying that a SET amp won't work, in its own way. Similarly, my old WV Beetle with a 1300cc engine could have been used to pull a load of gravel. Silly me, I just never considered it up to the task! Thinking back on it though, maybe it would have pulled that load exquisitely, a lot better than some dumb ol' unsophisticated brute-force pickup truck.

"Similarly" I to have owned VW Beetles and modified them and know very well what they are capable of! I was also subscriber to Hot VW's Magazine for many yrs. Some people in the world have had to used their VW's to plow their fields. Not an impossiable task for the Bug as it is known that its suspension parts are as strong as a 3/4 ton truck!

And the new Beetle has an incredably strong body! A Wisconsinite had a brush with a semi pining it up against a concrete median barrier sideways bottoming out the suspension but leaving its interior intact!

As for speed! Yrs ago I knew of a couple of locals that owned a VW repair shop and for kicks on the weekends they liked to go Bar Hopping looking for Mopars to take their money away betting their car was faster with its 4 cylinders then their big block 8's. They won alot of money! As 250hp in a 1200lb or so car was more than a match then 500hp and a 3500lb car.

"Similarly" I find SET's are just as capable with music. You just haven't had the experiance yet! Now thats "Reality"!

SET12

SET12,

As Werner von Braun used to say, "Always use the word impossible with the greatest caution." Following his advice, I don't want to say that your SET amp is not good. With your circuit design mods, maybe it is. After all, I did hear a 15W SET amp recently that was adequate, better than any other SET amp I'd heard previously.

But all my other experiences with SET (including ones often praised on this forum) left me in a state of disbelief. And Jim, as I've said numerous times, I've never had SET in my house. All my experiences were in modest-sized rooms.

SET12,

As Werner von Braun used to say, "Always use the word impossible with the greatest caution." Following his advice, I don't want to say that your SET amp is not good. With your circuit design mods, maybe it is. After all, I did hear a 15W SET amp recently that was adequate, better than any other SET amp I'd heard previously.

But all my other experiences with SET (including ones often praised on this forum) left me in a state of disbelief. And Jim, as I've said numerous times, I've never had SET in my house. All my experiences were in modest-sized rooms.

Werner's advice is good! Hearing is believeing also! My most memorable SET experiance was with the big 211 equiped Cary in a room that was 30ft by 40ft system set up on the narrow wall the sound stage from Hell Freezes Over "Hotel California" was wall to wall just huge and very powerful that was 25 watts 50 midband and very good volume I can't remember the speakers but they were big.

I am into Transmitting tubes the dynamics from these are very powerful if properly designed I especially like Class A2 because you can use some of these with lower B+ voltages my 572 runs on 500 volts at 120 ma of current twice the level of most 300B's.

I hope build an 833 amp running maybe 650 volts and 300 ma 40-60 watt range I'm still looking at plate curves this tube this tube has huge gain and is difficult to drive but has the potential to take one where few have gone before it is the equivelent of 4-5 845 operating in parallel dynamicly.

SET12

Very Nice VW...............is it also SET powered? Where is the Yamaha Test? 9 pages, 2000 views...........still NO Yamaha Test................Is this joke on me or what? ............ Tell Me the Truth................Is this Experiment for real.......or.......did you just want to praise SET's some more?..............It really is a nice VW...........don't make me post my PORSCHE 911.............PLUG IN THE YAMAHA.........Already.........please!.......

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum, aimless ranting by those who prefer it their way[;)]

So you don't like SET; fine, I don't like you! Nanee Nanee Boo Boo[:P]

Did I mention how much I love this place and the brotherly love that hangs around just too have something to do with their time when the subjects of SS vs. Tube (or better yet SET) and Vinyl vs. CD come up[:|]

I HAVE A DREAM[:^)] ROTFLMAO

You do know there's a difference between not liking a type of amplification and not liking someone because he doesn't like a type of amplification? Between saying "Your amp sucks!" and "You suck!"?

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum, aimless ranting by those who prefer it their way[;)]

Did I mention how much I love this place and the brotherly love that hangs around just too have something to do with their time when the subjects of SS vs. Tube (or better yet SET) and Vinyl vs. CD come up[:|]

Hey Kaiser I asked you before and got no answer, what the hell is ROTFLMAO, what does that mean? I really don't know..........REALLY.....................like I said, 9 pages, 2000 views, and still NO Yamaha comparison, excuse me Listening Experiments, what's the deal with that? A bait and trap thread to start something? Brotherly Love........OK........I would like to know his findings...............but ...........if this about sharing information, I guess I missed the point again.....................SET IS BEST..........................(I've never heard one)

Update...........10 pages ................ 135 posts............2120 views...........YAMAHA..0......

Some say that pro mid horns in the home, sound like PA horns. Agreed. Do you want a live sound? Unless one listens to "un-plugged"music, a live sound is like a PA mid horn.

lol, so true [:)]

I've got a list of recordings I'd love SET lovers to play and then report back on the sonic experience. It'd be extra fun to AB against a live performance too [:o]

Hey Kaiser I asked you before and got no answer, what the hell is ROTFLMAO, what does that mean? I really don't know..........REALLY.....................like I said, 9 pages, 2000 views, and still NO Yamaha comparison, excuse me Listening Experiments, what's the deal with that? A bait and trap thread to start something? Brotherly Love........OK........I would like to know his findings...............but ...........if this about sharing information, I guess I missed the point again.....................SET IS BEST..........................(I've never heard one)

Update...........10 pages ................ 135 posts............2120 views...........YAMAHA..0......

What is this Yamaha of which you speak?

Don't they make motoricycles?