SETs vs old SS � Listening experiments

pauln

Paul,

We like SS too. No high heels around my house anymore. The wife didn't like them much. Perhaps calling you stupid was the wrong choice of words, but it is what popped out. Don't forget, we listen at around 80-85 db.

Yup, we do like the Moondogs. No doubt about it. My son isn't too biased toward any particular kind of equipment. He just likes what he has been hearing. Now, if you asked him what trumpet he likes, that would be a different story altogether.

Bruce

Dukester,

This may be difficult to discribe.

A guitar player might like to push his tube amp to 110% of its capability to achieve a certain level of distortion. That distorted sound is what he intended his music to sound like. Our quest is to reproduce that original distortated sound. So, we try to reproduce his distortated sound with as little distortion as possable.

Jumbo Shrimp?

Some say that pro mid horns in the home, sound like PA horns. Agreed. Do you want a live sound? Unless one listens to "un-plugged"music, a live sound is like a PA mid horn.

My, this is becoming too tedious for me. I'm out.

tc

have to wonder if PWK and Parrot would ever see eye to eye on this. kept a copy of this letter for sentimental purposes . .

WPA3.5's and WLA12A- letter to Listener Magazine

Dear Mr. Dudley, I am the co-author of a new book being released worldwide in March 2002 titled Paul Wilbur Klipsch: The Life... The Legend. It is a wonderful biography of unargueably the most famous man in audio. It chronicles his 98 years and counting on this earth beautifully. The reason why I am writing is because of a review that your magazine had written back in Autumn 1999 (Vol5, # 4) pp. 73-82. I was given this issue by a friend because he knew I owned Klipsch and I loved tubes and he wanted me to read a little about this Single Ended Triode thing. I must say I was curious. After pouring over 98 years of Paul's past it was in numerous areas that Paul mentioned how he loved SET's and the 2A3 tube. Well, how was I to throw a deaf ear Paul's direction, about this subject, if I were already admiring not only his life and the way he is living it, as well as owning his wonderful LaScala's. I have heard many a speaker in NYC and I can tell the world Klipsch is the cleanest, purest, sound and let us not forget accurate, that I have ever heard, period. Off I went to entertain myself reading this article you wrote, tongue in cheek. To make a long story short, I ordered a pair of Wright WPA-3.5's and oh well...I guess all I have to say is just read what Peter wrote about them and that is all I have to say about them myself except that please do go out and buy the WLA-12 Pre-Amp George makes because those two together make the sweetest sound this side of heaven with an efficient loudspeaker. George, God bless you, your equipment has again proved to me that there is a God and he does work in mysterious ways, because together you and Paul have brought me an extreme happiness. And thank you LISTENER for exposing me to this unbelievable work of art. Respectfully, Maureen "The Wright Woman" Barrett

last I heard, Michael Klementovich, the other co-author of Paul Wilbur Klipsch: The Life... The Legend still uses the Wright Sound WPA 3.5, 1.75, and WLA-12A pre-amp also.

have enjoyed reading the listening experiments thread so far.

have to wonder if PWK and Parrot would ever see eye to eye on this.

It's not whether Paul and Paul would agree, it's whether I would agree with Maureen "The Wright Woman" Barrett. The answer to that is NO.

There is zilch, zero, nada evidence that PWK used SET amps. We know he used a 10-12W push-pull Brook amp. If he loved SET amps so much, why is there no evidence whatsoever of him using one?

I've talked about Barrett before. My suspicion then is the same as it is now, that she confused the Brook amp with a SET amp.

20 to 20000 great reponse! Great performance prefered!

That can happen but it usually does not! My SET's offer a close compromise! Better than most in my opinion! Wire! Yes I use very good stuff but my SET amps are the differance!

SET12

nothin' makes yer pants leg flap like a 100 watt Marshall thru that 4-12......[H]

make mine a Super Lead....

or ..

go all the way ...

Marshall Major... 100# of Pig ....[:)]

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm never wrong, HEAVY METAL SOUND.............a Gibson Guitar through a stack of MARSHALL's turned up to 11....................Rock On,Oh Gods of Metal...........................

Wright Sound has several nice PP amps. Both Maureen and Michael seem happy with choosing 2A3 SET. Food for thought.

Some people are easily influenced, aren't they? Because a couple of individuals who wrote a bad book like 2A3 SET, that's supposed to be interesting? Maureen's letter is conflating her opinion with what was supposedly PWK's opinion, so that her opinion is given more weight. The funny thing is, there is no evidence that he had that opinion other than Maureen saying so!

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm never wrong, HEAVY METAL SOUND.............a Gibson Guitar through a stack of MARSHALL's turned up to 11....................Rock On,Oh Gods of Metal...........................

Ok ... I'll correct You....

think Cream, Angus Ac/Dc, John Mayall, Allman Bros.......

Metal dudes prefer the Harsh distortion of solid state Randall amps ......[:)]

Why are you guys picking on the Parrot??? I happen to believe he has the handle on this...I haven't read the book on PWK but I haven't read ONE person who thought it came CLOSE To catching the man (PWK himself) so given that, why would we take the word of the writer (who according to some who knew PWK, got much wrong in the book) about which amps, speakers, slacks the man enjoyed?...besides...there are several people here on this Forum who actually KNEW PWK (Dr Bill and too many for me to remember)...Squawk on Parrot...I'm listening!

Bill

I didn't mean that's all they used, just trying to desribe what was felt to be, at that period of time, what was the Sound of Metal......................Me, I like the sound of a FENDER going through a stack of Marshall's turned up to 11..................but Gibson is Good, too........