Budget CD Player

SilverSport

...so...if you had, perhaps $300 or so, what would you spend to get good sounding CD sound (and features) today??? We all know about the Toshiba SD-3950s and the Philips 963SAs but those were made years ago now...what would you buy today (I haven't seen the Cambridge Audio Azur 540/640Cs (v1) for sale on the cheap for a while either...I am looking to get another and wondering what you all that are more "plugged in" think.

(go ahead and talk about your Jolida's and your Ah Njoe Tjoebs or whatever...)

Bill

I was looking for a player for my "budget" system in this price range just a few weeks ago. I went back to the unit that I wish I never sold - the original Rega Planet. I've been through some high falutin' DACS (Audio Note 4.1x and Zanden), and while they are surely better, the Planet never fails to put a smile on my face and get my toes tapping. Matter of fact, I just sold my AN DAC on A'gon 2 days ago, but I've still got the Planet.

It is getting very slim pickin's on CD players. I hate all the darn DVD

circuit chips jitterring up things. DVD players under $ 500 are too

edgy for me.

Cambridge and Rotel are the only ones I would try.

I have not heard this Sherwood Newcastle but I like the sound in the HT preamp I have for decoding Sirius sattelite radio.

CD-980T

Advanced Remote Controlled Single CD Player

For the ultimate in sonic refinement, our CD-980T single

disc CD player uses Burr Brown's PCM 1702-K Colinear 20-bit D to A Converters.

These hand-selected DAC's are considered by many to be the finest ever.

MSRP 499.95

Not as fun as it used to be looking for new model CD players.

I bought the 640c v1 on a whim,shipping was cheap with return policy.It outperforms both my 2900 and a-10 easily,I had been pretty happy w/the a-10 until then.For the money new it's hard to beat,maybe not possible.

I'd like to think I got a great deal on my Cambridge Audio D300se 2.0 CD player, $120 including shipping.

Had a 10 year old Denon before, no comparison to the Cambridge. Denon was way too 'digital' sounding. The Cambridge makes great recordings sound spectacular, and poor recordings at least listenable.

I always recommend Sony for the CD players - surprisingly good sound quality and they last forever.

To get your CD player to last a bit longer you should pull the cover off once a year or so and pull out all the hair that gets tangled up in the motors. You've got the one that spins the CDs and then you have the motor that drivers the laser. It's amazing what a good cleaning will do for a player that's acting up.

I bought a Sony XA-1 ES when they first came out...........never a bit of trouble, always sounds good, never skips..................single play, don't really care for multi-disc.........Boy, people really pay $1000. or more for a CD player.........WOW..........seems like over kill to me...............

jbsl,

Thanks for the kind offer...I think I am going to hold off for a bit and listen to some Sony...this is for my sister's system (her Yamaha is toast) and I always like to hear what is out there or up and coming...any more thoughts people, I'm listening...

Thanks,

Bill

I always recommend Sony for the CD players - surprisingly good sound quality and they last forever.

To get your CD player to last a bit longer you should pull the cover off once a year or so and pull out all the hair that gets tangled up in the motors. You've got the one that spins the CDs and then you have the motor that drivers the laser. It's amazing what a good cleaning will do for a player that's acting up.

I had a DVP-9000es. Awesome unit and built like a tank. Darn good DVD player as well. I would also recommend looking for this unit on A'gon. I'm pretty sure Dean used one for a while as well. I stepped up in the Sony line to the SCD-1, or I would've kept that DVP-900es. The SCD-1 is an amazing piece of gear. Great sound on SACD and build quality unlike anything I've ever seen. If that thing was made by a smaller manufacturer like Krell instead of Sony I bet it would have been $15,000.00.

the DVP9000ES was EXACTLY what I was thinking...everyone says it is built like a tank and many praise its sonic capabilities...been searching on A'Gon too...thanks. (sis might have to do with the super budget DVD as a CD player but I might just look into something else...[;)])

Bill

the DVP9000ES was EXACTLY what I was thinking...everyone says it is built like a tank and many praise its sonic capabilities...been searching on A'Gon too...thanks. (sis might have to do with the super budget DVD as a CD player but I might just look into something else...[;)])

Bill

Good luck, I know you won't be disappointed if you find one.

I bought the 640c v1 on a whim,shipping was cheap with return policy.It outperforms both my 2900 and a-10 easily,I had been pretty happy w/the a-10 until then.For the money new it's hard to beat,maybe not possible.

I second the azur 640C (1st generation) or any of its less expensive models. No problems with mine thus far...

Back in the mid '90s my dad had an entry-level Sony CD player for about $120 new...it's in storage now but still continued to work flawlessly up until it was put away.

post-11084-13819307603616_thumb.jpg

The Sony DV-P9000ES is an outstanding combo deck. Might be a bit more than the $300 budget (good examples with box/packing can be had for under $400 though). The first time you pick it up, you'll realize you have a real component in your hands, and it sounds as good as it's built.

The Sony DV-P7000ES is also a good sounding CD/DVD combo unit (no DTS for the DVD, though), and can be had for under $150 - my VRD owning friends just got a minty one in box shipped for that. It solved their 2 channel source issue.

The Rega Planet is a great choice also - a bit more "analog" or "british" sounding in its presentation, and a very nice deck. Built like a TANK. Top loader, so be aware of this before you consider it. I use this in my HT as a CD deck (DVD is a separate machine).

The Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 is still my recommended 2 channel deck, though, due to the ability to tube roll for preferred flavor, as well as the upsampler upgrade option. The Tjoeb doesn't have the build "heft" (at least externally), but one look INSIDE and you'll realize that they put the $$$ where it really matters - in the sonics.

I like the Cambridge Audio models. I've got a 540R v2 which I use as a processor and to drive my Heresy rear channels. The build quality is outstanding for the money - and the remote control is constructed of alloy and is very heavy. I've heard some great things about the Cambridge Audio CD players as well. [8]