I should have known better...

SilverSport

...I have heard it again and again but felt assured...the seller, who has been great so far with this assured me that they would be professionally packed by a high end electronics store and sent out...PERFECT condition speakers...owner had them through the Military and they survived all those moves...I picked up this set of Klipsch speakers for a great price...small glitch in sending them out, I saw a reschedule on the UPS site...seller insured them and sent them UPS ground...arrived this afternoon...same day my Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1 CD player arrived (perfectly packed and delivered by USPS I might add)...when I felt the speakers moving inside the box I was sick, seeing the crumpled corner, sicker...brought them home...carefully cut open one box...agggghhhhh!

single speaker in a single brown lightweight cardboard box...wrapped in the little bubble wrap...carefully removed the bubble wrap to reveal...crushed corners...

If I cannot find my Klipsch speakers local, I won't buy them...yes, ColterPhoto1 is right...and so is everyone else...I have had MOSTLY good luck with speakers and stuff sent VIA UPS-DHL-USPS-FedEx (albeit smaller Klipsch speakers) but this saddens me...sad that this guy had them all through the Military and they survived unscathed to be sent to me from NY to Chicago and get their corners crushed... :(

I am just sick...

Bill

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware that UPS did not destroy the original packaging, then do a quick dirty rebox of the damaged speakers, and send them on. Check with the seller to determine how the were packaged.

UPS actually did that to a pair of surround speakers I had purchased once upon a time.

Klipsch out.

Bill, Chill out Guy..................It's just a speaker............Hold On Now.......maybe it can be repaired, the problem with shipping is damage happens...........Is it insured? .....Have you spoken to the seller? I thought you mentioned you had dealt with him before.........talk to him.............Are you sure they weren't damaged before he shipped them?..........Take your time, chill out, play some tunes, relax, and rethink what you need to do.......I'm very sorry that has happened to you...........but it did...........You'll get on top of it.......Right now your SAD and MAD at the same time and not thinking...........this will pass........The ball has been dropped......Now You need to pick it up and run with it.........You'll figure out what to do You old fart..............................SORRY

I bought these off the 'gon...seller right away gave me his home phone number and address...that really makes you feel secure...the pictures appeared to be of perfect speakers and these are obviosly damaged in transit...some of the pieces of corner (it really isn't as bad as I paint it BUT the corners are all crunched and that is unacceptable to me...) are stuck in the thin small bubble wrap...I am betting the seller will be Golden when I hear back from him...lots of email back and forth and he was usually quick with an answer...I will ask about the possible "repack" job...thanks,

Bill

That's indeed a bummer, Bill. Was it a rare model (like an old heresy), or a newer model? What finish? I have some techniques for repairing crushed corners with wood, whick works especially well if they can be painted. You'll probably want to just get your money back, etc. I had a KSP-C6 beat to heck due to terribly insufficient packing. One must pack it assuming a 2-story drop onto concrete. On the C6, the driver broke off the Tractrix horn. I went ahead and swapped-out the driver with a non-functioning one I had here (don't tell UPS). The whole process was a PITA. Best of luck to you, Bill!

I had an experience where I am convinced UPS repackaged an amplifier I sent to another member of this forum. It was a Scott 299b with the wood case. I snapped pictures of the unit before I packed it...the case was intact. Arrives at its destination...a large sliver was broken from the edge of the case. But......the sliver was not in the box!!!! I had sealed the amp in a plastic bag, bubble wrap, styrofoam packing, heavy weight box, packing peanuts, another heavy weight box. No way to loose the sliver of wood unless the package had been tampered with. Makes me angry still.[:@]

Bill,

I hate to hear that.

I am always afraid to ship anything, even if I am buying new.

What kind of speakers are they?

Everyone around here thought I was crazy to drive 16 hours round trip just for a pair of $400 Heresy's, but at least I was in control.

Again I am sorry and I hope it works out for you.

Danny

They were the KM-4s (kg 3.5s) I was asking about a few days ago...black ash vinyl so if I had to fix them, they might fix easier...however, I don't want them in this condition...we'll see how the insurance thing goes...thanks for the kind words...

Bill

had a similar thing happen with some decorator heresys last week. the seller sent them packaged with only two corrogated sheets surrounding the speakers. Needless to say four of the 16 corners were dinged when they arrived. Why would anyone think that shipping a 50lb package could arrive without damage. The only thing that kept me from retaliating against the seller was the fact that I plan on refinishing these, so it was not that big a deal. Next time I will insist that speakers get boxed with a minimum of 1 inch hard foam aroud all sides and have the boxes marked fragile repeatedly around the package.

had a similar thing happen with some decorator heresys last week. the seller sent them packaged with only two corrogated sheets surrounding the speakers. Needless to say four of the 16 corners were dinged when they arrived. Why would anyone think that shipping a 50lb package could arrive without damage. The only thing that kept me from retaliating against the seller was the fact that I plan on refinishing these, so it was not that big a deal. Next time I will insist that speakers get boxed with a minimum of 1 inch hard foam aroud all sides and have the boxes marked fragile repeatedly around the package.

I'm afraid that "Fragile" indicators = "Throw Me Hard" to shipper-types. Maybe I \'m wrong...

I feel for you as well. I have had the same thing happen. No matter how well you tell people to pack things, they never do it like you would. Here are some pictures of how I packed the heresy I have for sale on ebay right now. It is not that difficult, if one takes the time.

As for yours, I have had good luck with insurance from usps, and my bro got reimbursed by fedex ground once, so maybe you will be OK, at least monetarily.

post-20722-13819307775974_thumb.jpg

I feel bad for ya Bill. I know this is hind-sight, but thought I would share.

Here is what I do to keep boxes tamper proof. I lay 3 or 4 pieces of red sewing thread perpendicular across the seams that i'm going to tape. After they are taped over you will be able to see if the box was tampered with. The thread will either be cut or pulled off with the tape, or missing all together. I have done this several times in the past with good success. I always notify the buyer so they can inspect it before opening.

Jeremy

Hope your feeling alittle more spirited today,Bud. It's a new day, and time to re evaluate what it is your going to do about the speakers, have a plan? It will all work out, you'll see, the right thing will win out. Funny, the truth always wins in the end, and I think you'll find the shipping company is at fault here. Too many employee's who just don't care about the freight, just move it, get it out of this depot.............think about it, you know what I'm saying.

Bill, again I'm very Sorry, and it's a shame it happened to a Good Guy, and not some clown.................It's not the end of the world......it's a damaged speaker.........Press on brother..........and Crank up some Tunes on the new CD player.....Do You have any Delbert Mc Clinton?.........you should have.............He's one of US..........

I'm afraid that "Fragile" indicators = "Throw Me Hard" to shipper-types. Maybe I \'m wrong...

Inanimate objects cannot read - like a large scale automated conveyor belt system which sorts by bar code readers and robotic arms. Those mechanisms cannot read english print[;)] I am also one who writes "FRAGILE" all over an important shipping box, but I also realize that for much of the haul it won't do any good. But if it helps ANYONE who handles that package to "go easy" on it, I consider the extra ink worth it.

My key to shipped item survival (perfected on MC30s) is double boxing and padding. The "inner box" is thoroughly and tightly packed and padded (making sure that the unit does NOT move within the box), then padded and boxed AGAIN, making sure that the inner box does not move within the outer box. A typical packing job for MC30s might go like this (from inside to outside): Amp>3 inches of large bubble wrap>inner box>two inches of styrofoam> outer box. If they are going to damage my amps, they first must go through 2 boxes and a minimum of two thick layers of padding - but yet that padding must be able to absorb some energy from impacts. A 13x9 inch McIntosh MC30 ends up being 18x24 inches packed.

Which explains why I would be reluctant to ship speakers, unless it was from a fellow forum member who thoroughly understands these issues - and even then, it's no guarantee.

s'funny but whenever I have tried to send a package UPS I was told that the item cannot move inside the packaging...perhaps that was just a smart thinking man at the place I send my UPS out at...I don't blame the seller at all, he says he used a "high end store" to send these out and they would be "professionally packed"...I haven't heard from him yet (it is the weekend) but I expect to...

What are your thughts on opening the other box, perhaps taking these out and listening to them? The corners are all banged up, crumbling or cracked MDF but they might sound okay...

Today is another day and I am feeling better...the Cambridge CD player sounds very nice and that helped...its open/close door won't work VIA the button on the unit but it works on the remote...that seller said it worked fine when he owned it...it looks brand new.

thanks for the well wishes...sorry for no pics yet, I will try but I am still not sure I want to open these up anymore if they need to go back. Anybody know if UPS will honor their insurance if they decide these were not packed prooperly (their out???)

Thanks,

Bill