RECORD BRUSH ADVISE

jcmusic

Allan's is a dry brush, similiar to the Audioquest but a bit wider with a felt center area if I remember correctly. The Audioquest just has the anti-static carbon fiber, about 1/2" apart.

The discdoctor brushes are the best for use with vacuum cleaning machines IMO which are a must for serious vinyl playing.

Edit: The Decca is similiar to the Audioquest but has different lengths on each side made of different material. Larry has one as I described but I can't remember the brand. I like it though!

I am also new to phono, do you guys just run the brush over the record each time you play it? And, where do you get the Audioquest brushes?

Paul

You can order one from Acoustic Sounds or any similiar on-line store. Most hi-end audio shops carry them also.

A year ago they were $15 everywhere but they've gone up to $20 now.[:(]

I use mine every time I play a side. The LP must have been cleaned with my VPI 16.5 before it ever gets to my table. Afterwards, I just use the Audioquest with each play (including the first play after cleaning). Its purpose is to clear the LP of any accumulated dust since its last play and to take away any static. It takes a couple trys to figure out how to sweep it in such a way as to not leave a line of dust on the record. Kind of an angled sweep but no need to worry about going against the grain.

Speaking of wet, there is always Disc Doctor. I use it in combo with a Nitty Gritty for vacuuming. I haven't used one, but VPI cleaning-machine owners like Gary always rave about theirs.

I dry-brush each record side just before I play it. I have a carbon-fiber brush (2 rows of fibers), and a "Hunt E.D.A." brush with a felt pad between two more widely-spaced rows of fibers. Also a Zerostat for LPs with lots of static.

Ok guys I need to get a record brush. What are you guys using, and or recomending?

Jay

Any audiophile knows

Nothing beats the discwasher with D4+ Hi-Technology Record Cleaning Fluid !

"Hi-Technology Fluid People !" And D4+ is heads and shoulders above the old D3 stuff . I mean that was like Lo-Technology Fluid ! Sheeeesh !!!

Now where's that darn stylus cleaner ? I know it's around here somewhere ...

post-18289-13819307896948_thumb.jpg

What is the VPI 16.5. Where can it be found, cost, etc?

Paul

It's a Vacuum Record Cleaner. About $400 to $500. Lot's of audio related web retailers carry them. It's a big noisy box with a turntable on it, you put your record down on it, spit out a bunch of cleaning fluid, slosh it around and it sucks it all back up. Nothing cleans a dirty record like a good record vaccum system. You don't need to use it everytime you play your record. Just to give a good initial cleaning.

I too use the Audioquest carbon fiber brush before I play each side.

My routine is the following:

Before any album is played on my table for the first time I run it thru my Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro 2 machine (this cleans both sides at the same time and vacuums). If it's in rough shape then I use a disc doctor brush on it with some Last cleaning fluid. I give it a real good scrub with this stuff then put it on my machine and it cleans some more and vacuums dry. I then place the album in a rice paper sleeve and that lets me know it has at least been run thru the machine.

I do not use the machine everytime I play the album. I would say it gets cleaned about every 5 or 6 plays. All I use is the Audioquest brush on a regular basis. I also clean the stylus before every side with Disc Doctor Stylus cleaner.

Mike