Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Aug. 28

thebes

Ah the dog days of summer, that last burst of sweat and

heat before the cooling breezes of Fall slide in. Could use a

break myself, the heat this year has taken a toll and left me supine at

the end of the day.

Been fighting back though with some cool tunes and easy lyrics.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music

as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

Maxine Sullivan, "Queen of Song", lp, jazz/blues

A solid singer during the Swing Era, bypassed by time, and briefly

resurrected during the move towards music exploration during the early

1970's, Sullivan on this lp brings a sweet soulfull vocie to blue

standards, lounge songs and some of that silly '50's stuff. Not a

big fan of her version of Loch Lomond" (banned in the 1930's) this

album is very, very good and very well recorded.

So what do yo have to share this week?

Beastie Boys, "Paul's Botique" LP

I made paid homage to this ground breaking album with both my screename, "Clarence", and my recent signature, "Is your name Michael Diamond? Naw, my name is Clarence"

From Wikipedia..

The Beastie Boys are a Jewish-American hip hop group from the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Manhattan. The main members are (from left to right on the photo) Mike D (real name Michael Diamond), King Ad-Rock (Adam Horovitz) and MCA (Adam Yauch).

Beastie Boys were the first white rap group of any importance and one of the few acts from the early days of hip hop that still enjoy major success today. Their rock- and punk-influenced rap has had a significant impact on artists both in and outside the hip hop scene.

Paul's Boutique

The group matured with their second album, Paul's Boutique. Produced by the Dust Brothers and Matt Dike. Recorded in 1988, this extremely sample-heavy oeuvre is still considered one of the strongest works by the Beasties and is considered to be one of the greatest rap albums of all time. [1], as well as one of the most important albums to use a large array of samples (this was also one of the few albums that attempted to clear all 100+ samples.) Due to stricter sampling laws, an album like this would be nearly impossible to recreate today.

Notice the reference above to "the Greatest rap Album OF ALL TIME!"

It is. Button PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE THEBES!!!!![:D]

post-21157-13819308039916_thumb.jpg

Paul's Boutique is quite simply one of the greatest albums of time...period. Check Your Head is up there as well.

This past week I have been listening to almost nothing but Steely Dan.

Every album up to that newer stuff that I've never really heard.

Nightfly as well. Anyone check out Yacht Rock yet? To abide by the

thread rules I must let you know that my listening of "The Dan" was on

a mixed media format of SACD, LP & CD. Their style is in a slightly

jazzy but rocking nature with biting/sarcastic lyrics and complex

arrangements.

TRAFFIC--ON THE ROAD..........................CD................1973

This is not the original line-up of Traffic with Dave Mason, he's long gone.This is the line-up that pulled off Low Spark...Steve,Jim, and Chris plus Barry Beckett-keyboards,David Hood-bass, Roger Hawkins-drums, and Rebop Kwaku Baah-percussion.......A good group of seasoned professional back-up artist's laying down the background to showcase the talents of Steve Winwood,vocals,piano, and Guitar. I don't really like Steve playing a Guitar, he sounds like he is really working at playing it, unlike his soft touch on the keyboards, where his true skills are shown. A Vocalist who could. sing in my band anyday. Only 6 songs, but lengthy versions each;

1 Glad/ Freedom Rider

2 Tragic Magic

3 (Sometimes I Feel So) Unispired

4 Shoot Out at Fantasy Factory

5 Light Up or Leave Me Alone

6 Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

All good songs, all good jam songs, this is pretty close to a jazz style delivery as a rock band gets. Great bunch of session men........Good Tunes.........70's Classic

Spencer Davis Group - 8 Gigs A Week - IMPORT

Street Date - Mar 18, 1996

Posted Image

EIGHT GIGS A WEEK is a two-disc, 51-track anthology of live recordings and demos by the 1964-'66 lineup of British blues-rockers the Spencer Davis Group, featuring singer and organist Steve Winwood.

Subtitled 'The Steve Winwood Years' this 51 track opus is a real treat for fans and interested parties alike. A very young Winwood cut his chops on many standards in this period as well as original material. Reportedly, most of the tracks recorded in this era were first takes or 'live in the studio'. This group is held as the best R&B group that ever was by many in the UK and Europe and this stellar compilation captures their very essence.

In their heyday, the group consisted of Steve Winwood on vocals; Steve's brother Muff Winwood played bass; Pete York handled the drums; plus founder, lead guitarist and co-singer, Spencer Davis. Their main producer was the late Jimmy Miller.

1. Dimples

2. I Can't Stand It

3. Jump Back

4. Here Right Now

5. Searchin

6. Midnight Train

7. It's Gonna Work Out Fine

8. My Babe

9. Kansas City

10. Every Little Bit Hurts

11. Sittin & Thinkin

12. I'm Blue (Gong Gong Song)

13. She Put The Hurt On Me

14. I'll Drown In My Own Tear

15. I'm Getting Better

16. Goodbye Stevie

17. Strong Love

18. Georgia On My Mind

19. It Hurts Me So

20. Oh Pretty Woman

21. Look Away

22. This Hammer

23. Please Do Something

24. Keep On Running

25. Let Me Down Easy

26. Somebody Help Me

27. Watch Your Step

28. Nobody Knows You When You

29. Midnight Special

30. When I Come Home

31. High Time Baby

32. Hey Darling

33. I Washed My Hands In Mudd

34. You Must Believe Me

35. Trampoline

36. Since I Met You Baby

37. Mean Woman Blues

38. Dust My Blues

39. When A Man Loves A Woman

40. Neighbour Neighbour

41. On The Green Light

42. Stevie's Blues

43. Take This Hurt Off Me

44. Stevie's Groove

45. I Can't Get Enough Of It

46. Waltz For Lumumba

47. Together Till The End Of

48. Gimme Some Lovin

49. Back Into My Life Again

50. I'm A Man

51. Blues In F

Spencer Davis Group - official web site

http://www.spencer-davis-group.com/

Spencer Davis Group Original Line-up:

Spencer Davis - vocals, guitar

Steve Winwood - vocals, guitar, keyboard

Muff Winwood - bass guitar

Pete York - drums

Posted Image

The Spencer Davis Group at a concert on 8. July 2006 in Neckarsulm (Germany), from left: Eddie Hardin, Spencer Davis, Steff Porzel, Colin Hodgkinson, Miller Anderson

Posted Image

Yes.. The Spencer Davis Group is still touring.

http://www.spencer-davis-group.com/concerts.htm

Gov't Mule- High and Mighty

One of the best rock cd's to come out in years! Production is great with some smokin rock tracks. You would almost swear you was listening in surround sound at times. This album has alot to offer. Do not miss this! If you like classic rock its' a must buy to see what can still happen in this day and age.

Thebes i'm not looking to double my chances of winning a gift here. I just didn't want anyone to miss out on this. I posted it on the last day of last week I believe in the wee hours of the night. [:D] ( something like that, anyways enjoy)

I keep forgetting to post to this every week. Anyway, check out an older (1992) release by Sugar (Bob Mould project). Much more refined then his Husker Du days. It has a fun summer pop sound at times but more sophisticated lyrics.

B0000009OI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Suggested tracks to check out:
-A Good Idea
-Helpless
-Hoover Dam
-If I Can't Change Your Mind (my personal fav)

I came abord tonight to see if anyone else has checked out this

DVD. I came across this here thread and thought I would throw my

hat in. This DVD called " The sound of Jazz" and I quote " This

DVD features a truly original and unique broadxast from CBS Dtudio 58

in New York on December 8 1957 hosted by John Crosby. Among the

legends performing are Count Bassie, Billie Holiday, Colman Hawkins,

Jimmie Giuffre, Red Allen, Lester Yound, and Milt Hilton. And

Many many more... It is FAB! This is sensuous jazz like the

curves of a 57 chevy! My favorite part is when Billy Holiday gets

on stage!!!

Steve Winwood - The Finer Things

# Audio CD (March 21, 1995)

# Original Release Date: March 21, 1995

# Number of Discs: 4

# Format: Box set

Posted Image

Steve Winwood performing with such greats as The Spencer Davis Group, Eric Clapton & The Powerhouse, Traffic, Blind Faith and Stomu Yamashta's Go.

We also have some great music from Steve Winwood's own solo career!

DISC 1:

1. Dimples - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

2. I Can't Stand It - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

3. Every Little Bit Hurts - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

4. Strong Love - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

5. Keep On Running - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

6. Somebody Help Me - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

7. When I Come Home - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

8. I Want To Know - (with Eric Clapton & The Powerhouse)

9. Crossroads - (with Eric Clapton & The Powerhouse)

10. Gimme Some Lovin' - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

11. I'm A Man - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

12. Paper Sun - (with Traffic)

13. Dealer - (with Traffic)

14. Coloured Rain - (with Traffic)

15. No Face, No Name, No Number - (with Traffic)

16. Heaven Is In Your Mind - (with Traffic)

17. Smiling Phases - (with Traffic)

18. Dear Mr. Fantasy - (with Traffic)

19. Pearly Queen - (with Traffic)

20. Forty Thousand Headmen - (with Traffic)

21. No Time To Live - (with Traffic)

22. Shanghai Noodle Factory - (with Traffic)

23. Medicated Goo - (with Traffic)

24. Withering Tree - (with Traffic)

DISC 2:

1. Had To Cry Today - (with Blind Faith)

2. Can't Find My Way Home - (previously unreleased, electric version, with Blind Faith)

3. Sea Of Joy - (with Blind Faith)

4. Sleeping In The Ground - (previously unreleased, live, with Blind Faith)

5. Under My Thumb - (previously unreleased, live, with Blind Faith)

6. Stranger To Himself - (with Traffic)

7. John Barleycorn - (with Traffic)

8. Glad - (with Traffic)

9. Freedom Rider - (with Traffic)

10. Empty Pages - (with Traffic)

11. Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys - (with Traffic)

12. Rainmaker - (with Traffic)

DISC 3:

1. Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory - (with Traffic)

2. Uninspired, (Sometimes I Feel So) - (live, with Traffic)

3. Happy Vibes - (with Winwood/Kabaka/Amao)

4. Something New - (with Traffic)

5. Dream Gerrard - (with Traffic)

6. Walking In The Wind - (with Traffic)

7. When The Eagle Flies - (with Traffic)

8. Winner/Loser - (with Stomu Yamashta's Go)

9. Crossing The Line - (live, with Stomu Yamashta's Go)

10. Hold On

11. Time Is Running Out

12. Vacant Chair

DISC 4:

1. While You See A Chance

2. Arc Of A Diver

3. Spanish Dancer

4. Night Train

5. Dust

6. Valerie

7. Talking Back To The Night

8. Your Silence Is Your Song

9. Higher Love

10. Freedom Overspill

11. Back In The High Life Again

12. Finer Things, The

13. Roll With it

14. Don't You Know What The Night Can Do?

15. One And Only Man

Greg's pick: Disc #1 Track #5 - Keep On Running - (with The Spencer Davis Group)

If you like Steve Winwood then this CD box set is a must have for your collection.

Steve Winwood can sing in my band anytime...........Little Stevie Winwood 17 year old lead singer for Spencer Davis Group.....oh by the way......He plays keyboard too. Keyboard, in my opinion, is what he excells at. I must amit, I do not like his Guitar playing. He really isn't fluid in his playing style, and he seems to labor at it, but, give the man a keyboard, and he just glides his fingers over those keys.Steve is kinda like the Voice of My Generation......Soft, almost sweet flowing one moment, the next, powerful, then almost haunting............What a Talent.............Sorry, I get carried away....I love this stuff........

I have taken a hiatus after posting most every week with no results in the random drawing(I know it's not supposed to be about that but face it the motivation is there) so this time I go for the one shot gambit. (oh yeah, anyone seen meagain since she won?)

Frank Zappa--Apostrophe, lp, japanese pressing. Gorgeous recording, great musicianship, clever song-writing.

I have taken a hiatus after posting most every week with no results in the random drawing(I know it's not supposed to be about that but face it the motivation is there) so this time I go for the one shot gambit. (oh yeah, anyone seen meagain since she won?)

Frank Zappa--Apostrophe, lp, japanese pressing. Gorgeous recording, great musicianship, clever song-writing.

The pairing of Frank Zappa and Jack Bruce is wonderful....good stuff on that...Not a Zappa fan, Not a Mother's fan, but I did like Apostrophe, and Hot Rats, good Frank, the man was a good Guitarist....................Jack Bruce certainally played with a lot of different people........Awesome talent Jack

Very good candidates this week. Thanks to all. I will nominate one that I had forgotten I had until I was looking for another album and came across it. It is a 2 album live recording done in 1974. Location not specified on the album. Anyway I put it on the old TT for a listen and it is perfect. Probably never been played more than ten times since 74. This album captures Bob Dylan and the Band together in a fabulous concert.

c56121s9226.jpg

Before the Flood

Asylum Records

I would give it a 97 Dick. It has a good beat and you can dance to it. Heck, you can even drink beer to it. Make that a 98!

Before the Flood is a great one for Dylan fans--acoustic and electric with alot of Band tunes in there too--

Bob's new one Modern Times is the third great album in a row from him-- he sounds like he is having fun playing the blues with his crack backing band. His vocals are croaking and funny (ha-ha) and energetic-- great stuff--

Before the Flood is a great one for Dylan fans--acoustic and electric with alot of Band tunes in there too--

Bob's new one Modern Times is the third great album in a row from him-- he sounds like he is having fun playing the blues with his crack backing band. His vocals are croaking and funny (ha-ha) and energetic-- great stuff--

theryugobuddy, sorry I forgot to add about the 4 sides. Side one is Dylan songs, side two is Band material, side three is Band and Dylan combined and side four is Dylan. Great stuff and mighty fine harp blowin' by Dylan. The synergy is awesome.

theryugobuddy, sorry I forgot to add about the 4 sides. Side one is Dylan songs, side two is Band material, side three is Band and Dylan combined and side four is Dylan. Great stuff and mighty fine harp blowin' by Dylan. The synergy is awesome.

Very Interesting......will have to check that out........Thanx Gents..........