Classic Cornwalls

KOZ

Pristine pair of 1980 Cornwalls looking for a good home. I'm the original owner (s/n 25U 800 & 801). I finished the birch cabinets in a walnut and oil finish. No marks at all. All original components and of course they sound great. I am new to the Klipsch forum, and I don't know exactly how this works, but I know Craig's List is not the place to list these speakers. I paid $1200 in '80 and Klipsch says I could get that for them today? I'll consider $1000 OBO. I'm located in the Seattle, WA and would prefer to have you pick them up - that way you could listen to them before taking them home.

post-23507-1381930808761_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Don't do it! You'll blame her and yourself. OTOH you could always replace them with Khorns! If you upgrade the networks. Many here can help you with that. There's nothing in this price category that even comes close. These are beautiful cabinets with heavenly sound. What does she want? [*-)]

I'm also the original owner of 1980 Cornwalls. More than once over the years, my wife has tried to get me to sell them for a newer, sleeker design with a finish other than zebrawood to go with the furnishings.

When we moved to our current home in 1994, she offered to let me spend up to $10K to replace them. We went to one of the high-end shops, listened to speakers up to $25K and in the end she looked at me and said, "We're keeping the Cornwalls." Music to my ears! It was obvious that these were something special, even to her.

I hope you decide to keep them but thanks for offering them here first.

Welcome to the forum!

Bose - That is exactly what she is suggesting -I replace them with some "Lifestyle System". I truly am not an audiophile- but I find it very hard to believe that real sound can come from those little cubes.

If I go with a home theater system, can't I use the Cornwalls- and still have great speakers for music?

• Like 1

That is really great to hear. I've always wondered how they compare to newer technology and "high end" speakers.

Another question I've had is do the speakers deteriorate over time (not missuse). Does the woofer get brittle or anything like that. Kind of like bad eye sight- I wonder if the Cornwalls might go bad slowly over time and I don't notice it.

• Like 1

KOZ: BOSE! Yeah, that's what we all knew she'd suggest! With all due respect to the "Klipschettes" out there on this forum, it seems that for some reason, many woman seem to gravitate towards little, tiny speakers that they feel won't compromise their interior decorating "expertise". Yet, it's somehow okay to compromise on what those little, tiny speakers are there for in the first place! W-R-O-N-G !

It is the opinion of many here, including me that Blose cannot hold a candle to any of the Klipsch offerings. And the Blose are SO expensive, too! Don't let her move the Bose in on you and get rid of the Corns: You will regret it for the rest of your days! Why do some women feel they have to get a man to change for them to prove they really love them?

Just tell her: STEP AWAY FROM THE CORNWALLS!

YES! You can use your Cornwalls as part of an HT system! Absolutely!

Many of our fellow forum members here have done just that. And, by the way: Many of the folks here consider Cornwalls as part of "the High-End" so be careful what you say! [;)]

Speakers can deteriorate. That doesn't mean yours have. It all depends on how old they are and how well they've been cared for. If you need replacement parts, if Klipsch doesn't have them then someone here will!

Yes you can upgrade the networks in them. I think someone like DeanG can probably hook you up. (Please correct me if I am wrong guys!)

You are right! This is a great place to be!

I'm also the original owner of 1980 Cornwalls. More than once over the years, my wife has tried to get me to sell them for a newer, sleeker design with a finish other than zebrawood to go with the furnishings.

When we moved to our current home in 1994, she offered to let me spend up to $10K to replace them. We went to one of the high-end shops, listened to speakers up to $25K and in the end she looked at me and said, "We're keeping the Cornwalls." Music to my ears! It was obvious that these were something special, even to her.

I hope you decide to keep them but thanks for offering them here first.

Welcome to the forum!

Gary, if you don't mind me asking? What do you do to be able to afford speakers up to 25k!

O my God, this is such a cliché horror story for the real audio lover, especially Klipsch lovers. It's so cliché that it's hard to believe. On this forum Bose is not a nice word, they suck bigtime and are very overprized. Are (some) women blind and deaf? These are beautiful cabinets, great furniture just to look at. They are also best bang for the buck, read Gary's story. Your speakers are probably in great technical condition, except for the networks, the capacitors degrade in time, also better quality caps are available. A new network will make the babies sing even more beautiful, Khorns are however another story, different. Some prefer the CW though. Nevermind, if she wants you to get rid of the CW's and you replace them with Khorns, you will be slaughtered. Explain to her what good sound means to you, explain that Bose will not do. We here will help you upgrade the networks. If she doesn't understand or disagrees, it's up to you, but I see dark clouds ahead. A relationship means that both parties are willing to give the other those small (or big) pleasures that make it worthwhile. So these unnecessary sacifices are not part of that. If she doesn't hear the difference she's deaf, if she thinks Bose looks good, she's blind, ugly $%&^%$ little critters! Or... maybe she doesn't care? Sorry for the rant. Talk with/to her!

This forum is great - where the h?@#! have I been for the past several years. Very cool.

Koz, you got it ... great bunch of dedicated, nice folks here.

FWIW, before coming over to Klipsch, my wife and I enjoyed a Bose AM5 system and thought it was just fine. After finding a pair of Cornwalls, our lives changed. The way we danced to music, watched movies -- everything changed.

Our current system about to be installed (after kitchen/family room remodel) will be Klipschorns and a Belle up front, and two Cornwalls in the rear .... all driven by Sunfire cool-running amps, and a Danley "Tower of Power" to boot. Huge, but amazingly musical.

I'll stack it against five dual cubes any day of the week [:P]