JBL's new Mt. Everest Speaker System

coda

JBLs big, bad Mt Everest speaker system

jbl1_07-1.jpg

Step in front of JBLs new Mt. Everest speaker system and you too can feel the pain. Look, we dont pretend to be audiophiles round these parts, but when a reputable company like JBL drops a new flagship speaker system into the mix by the name of Mt Everest, well, its gonna be one badazz, mofon speaker. Besides, if youre buying a speaker system measuring in at 38 x 18.5 x 44-inches, 313-pounds and pumping 500 watts of thump, well, youre probably trying to purchase more than just sound quality now arent you. Available from September 21st in Japan for ¥3,460,000 or nearly $30,000. Oh, and check a better image of the complete Mt. Everest system done-up in maple after the break who knew all that power came from two 9v Duracell batteries?

jbl1_05.jpg

haven't seen a spec sheet yet, more pics available at

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060908/jbl1.htm

reference page for JBL's 1985 Project Everest

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/everest.htm

jbl1_04.jpg

I saw that first thing this morning......The mid horn/ driver..476 will use a 4" berylliam diaphram. This is a new driver to replace the 375/376., 2441, 2450 units....the tweeter is the 435be same one used in the K2 series.... The woofer is a modified 1500AL (alnico) also out of the K2 series Ports on rear alighned for 30hz bass extension ....But the enclosure is some thing else ...Its shape is used to make the mid horn extension......All for a paultry $60,000 pr. Don McRichie of Lansing Heritage outside of JBL staff Is the only one on this continent to hear it this week. The Japanese are the lucky ones. It might be sold world wide ( JBL reorginasion of marketing).

Damn, those beasts sure are some pretty horns.

My ol' JBL L112 Century IIs certainly were no match for the Everests, that much is true!

Those are sweet L112's. It looks like they have the newer T35 tweeter. I just bought new domes for my L25 tweeters for my L100's today. I love the old JBL's. I have the L100's and a pair of L100T's, both mint condition. I lusted after both as a kid and jumped on them when they popped up locally.

Yes they are $60.000 pr.....Did I mention the woofer baffle board is faced in leather? The Klipschorn now looks to be a bargin at $7,500 & is a great tweekers dream. Of course the new child in the Klipsch corner the Jubilee Is a good contender.....But thats all up to you to support this new horn.....I stated earlier the momentom on the Jubilee needs your willingness for it to survive. Only three sitting in the living rooms is not enough. THe CNC machine at the Klipsch factory is waiting to cut more.

Although I dearly love my 4311s (pro version of the L100s), you jump to a whole other level with the larger JBL offerings. Like moving from Heresys to Khorns, only a bigger leap.

Bruce

Of course JBL has much better speakers. I came very close to buying L250Ti's and also looked at 4435's and 4430's. BUT, the L100's with their really cool looking white wooofers will look really goood in my office with a vintage Yamaha C1020 receiver that I just bought. I can sit in there and listen to the same music that I listened to when I dreamed of owning these as a kid.

As I'm tapping my toe and drinking a beer while paying bills and hearing: "...I've seen your picture, done up in blueprint blue, it sure looks good on you..." What can sound better?

no wood screws holding THOSE drivers in place!

That is some magnificent design and craftsmanship. Brilliant.

maybe I should get me some of those little JBL's- just to have something different....

M

If your talking about teh L100's they are really well built. I pulled the tweeters yesterday (to replace pushed in domes - its like poping bubble wrap, people can't resists pushing them in) and the front board is at least 1" thick.