Musical Stereotypes?

coda

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my Jetta's glovebox right now I have the following CDs: Beach Boys, Jackson Brown, ABBA, Blondie, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Black Eyed Peas, Pink, 50 Cent, the Saint Seans 3rd Symphony (Organ) and an audio CD by three doctors proporting to tell me about the advantages of glyco nutrients (courtesy of office den mother.)

What's that say?

Oh yeah, preferred reality altering substance would be California Merlot.

I think this is a good thread. It shouldn't be terminated.

I think the opening statements of this thread hold fairly true. No prejudice here but real stereotyping.

I am 37. Went to college 4 years. Medical school 4 years and surgical training 5 years. In was 32 when I got me real first job.

Most would consider the above educated. But stereotyping won't work here. What I grew up with does work here.

I grew up in Starkville, MS. There was only only country and funk. Rap in 1979 and 1980 was funky stuff....not like the rap today.

I grew up on Funk and 80's Rap. My school was greater than 50% African-American. The thing to do back then was to hang out at the theater next to Pizza Hut. We would throw out mats and breakdance! No kiddin.

I used to make tapes with Rap and funk on them and sell them for the price of an album. Then I would go out and buy another album.. I still have all those records.

Anyway. I am a closet Rap, Funk listener to date. I typically am by myself as no other college or associate will listen to this stuff

In college up North in the early 90's..........NOBODY LISTENED TO RAP OR FUNK. Then started listening to Metallica. It went downhill from there. Went to Pantera, Crowbar, Slayer, and others. Worked myself into another closet listener situation.

My wife is a Hard Rock freak. Met her in the midwest. We sometimes late at night, have a few drinks and listen to some Korn or Disturbed. Not many of our local friends will do this with us.

Lately, forced myself to listen to some "good recordings". I have picked up on Diane Krall, Keb Mo. This stuff is growing on me some. However, the "ruff stuff" hangs on. I drove 30 minutes out of town tonight to do some Men's health Fair screenings. I am typing on a Hospital owned computer right now. On the way over here, I listened to 2 different White Zombie cds in my truck.

You can ask mark1011 and Coytee...I am ignorant on "Rock artists from the 70's and 80's".

Oh...and by the way. I haven't been involved in too many criminal acts. I have drinkin alot of beer and wiskey though.

jc

Don't drink, smoke or do drugs but sure do enjoy listeneing to heavy metal. Some say i must enjoy root canal with that kind of music preference but that is not the case.

Enjoy classic rock because that is basically what i grew up with but seem to just get heavier and heavier as the years go by.

I dig all the same bands JC.

I think this is a good thread. It shouldn't be terminated.

I think the opening statements of this thread hold fairly true. No prejudice here but real stereotyping.

I am 37. Went to college 4 years. Medical school 4 years and surgical training 5 years. In was 32 when I got me real first job.

Most would consider the above educated. But stereotyping won't work here. What I grew up with does work here.

I grew up in Starkville, MS. There was only only country and funk. Rap in 1979 and 1980 was funky stuff....not like the rap today.

I grew up on Funk and 80's Rap. My school was greater than 50% African-American. The thing to do back then was to hang out at the theater next to Pizza Hut. We would throw out mats and breakdance! No kiddin.

I used to make tapes with Rap and funk on them and sell them for the price of an album. Then I would go out and buy another album.. I still have all those records.

Anyway. I am a closet Rap, Funk listener to date. I typically am by myself as no other college or associate will listen to this stuff

In college up North in the early 90's..........NOBODY LISTENED TO RAP OR FUNK. Then started listening to Metallica. It went downhill from there. Went to Pantera, Crowbar, Slayer, and others. Worked myself into another closet listener situation.

My wife is a Hard Rock freak. Met her in the midwest. We sometimes late at night, have a few drinks and listen to some Korn or Disturbed. Not many of our local friends will do this with us.

Lately, forced myself to listen to some "good recordings". I have picked up on Diane Krall, Keb Mo. This stuff is growing on me some. However, the "ruff stuff" hangs on. I drove 30 minutes out of town tonight to do some Men's health Fair screenings. I am typing on a Hospital owned computer right now. On the way over here, I listened to 2 different White Zombie cds in my truck.

You can ask mark1011 and Coytee...I am ignorant on "Rock artists from the 70's and 80's".

Oh...and by the way. I haven't been involved in too many criminal acts. I have drinkin alot of beer and wiskey though.

jc

OMG, where do I start.

I have an unmentionable pee-pee prob due to an indiscretion a while back, and somthing that I wouldn't want to tell, let alone, share with my wife, and I need surgery.........

The candy man comes in to put me under (they sometimes have a sweet-tooth themselves) and I am wheeled into the O.R.......... Semi-awake.......I notice DIY Jub's in the operating theater. In my stupor, I see Rick James walk in .....No, No, it's Dr. Cullison! As the music comes up, (Bar Kay's at 120db) I see Dr. Rick (JC) fall to the floor and breakdance! The spectacle allows me to relax and feel comfortable.

I look up to see that Rick, (Dr. Cullison) has a large supporting staff. One nurse is offering a can of "long-cut", another holds a spit-cup, and one is assigned to lift the mask up and down for the Doc's consumption of the "long-cut" preparation.

Dude, Sorry, I just couldn't help it .[:D] In all honesty, if I needed that kind of help, I would fly to GA.to get it. I can only imagine what your concentration and focus is like when you are on the job.

tc

Todd? Anything?

OMG. My wife laughed so hard at that post she almost created a user account on this forum.

Oh sure Todd. Lay it on.

This is my first night off call in about 7 days. Therefore no DIY Jub work......Bacardi and Coke......WHY YOU SAY? Because I'm out of scotch and beer. Why else?

I just finished listening to Cameo "style" on LP. Prior to that.......Metallica "Master of Puppets" on CD.

Anyway. My wife doesn't make this any easier. Anytime we get drunk around our friends, she wants me to breakdance. Unfortunately my ability to reason is gone and I pull it off. However, If I do it for about 30 seconds.....I have to sit and not talk to anyone for 5 minutes because I'm so short of breath!

I laid off the ole "long Cut" the last few months because of a blood test I had showed up positive nicotine. When I was building the Alcorn networks, I must have gone through three cans. Terry, did you notice any "Long Cut of Josey Wales on those Thetas"?

One X-mas year in med school, my roommates and I decorated our x-mas tree with empty Skoal cans and Jim Beam bottles. That tree stayed up for about 2 months. None of us had girlfriends at the time. I can remember new years night I think 1993 or 94, when that tree was there, I woke up after a long night and there was a couple of guys and a gal passed out under that tree. My stereo was still up loud. My turntable was still spinnin with that cracklin sound at the end of the record coming through my KG 5.2's. My front door was wide open and it was freezing in my dump rental house.

jc

You guys probably think I'm making this up for a reaction. I wish I had a picture of the tree. I do however, have one of my two roomates and I in that house. We had a "kegulator" in there that I restored from a bar. The keg in the picture is the last keg consumed at med school after graduation. We just put it in the middle of the room with no ice and just finished it. Great memories. I gave the kegulator to another med student.

post-16499-13819311000226_thumb.jpg

You didn't have girlfriends at the time...REALLY NOW....SHOCKING!!!

LOL...You sound like me. I too am a closet jammer. My exwife and I had a deck system that we would JAM on. Lived in the country so we hurt no one.

My wife now used to sing in a wedding band for extra money to get through medical school (Anesthesia). She talks about the general surgions and many of them listen to rock during surgery. I am slowly exposing her to the "wild side" (I'm a hotel VP). The other day a surgeon said "if anyone can name this band I will give them a prize". Meri said "Pink Floyd" and he almost dropped his "tools". No prize though. I'mma gonna take that boy to the wood shed.

LOL!

Phil