Thorens in the house

colterphoto1

Hi Colterphoto,

Congrats for your "new" Thorens. I really admire those guys who have real workmanship to get defective gear repaired.

To check the quality of a stylus you should use a 250-times magnifier at least.

My method to check azimuth of the stylus: I am using a pencil lead fixed on top of the headshell with a little piece of tape.

First: I am lowering the tone-arm on an old but plain record.

Second: I am positioning the geometric protractor in the front of the headshell.

Third: I am checking whether the pencil lead and the line(s) of the geometric protractor are in parallel.

I found this to be more easy and accurate than the mirror-method. To prevent the platter from moving during measurements I use these 2 rubber-pads provided with the Shure V15 VMR to prevent the platter from moving during measurments. If you want to be persnickety check the platter with spirit level to have it plane after inserting the rubberpads.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The pencil lead method also helps for alignement. The pencil lead has to be fixed directly to the pick-up. In my case it is easy because I use a Shure V15VxMR. I simply put it on the frame of the brush. My turntable is a Thorens TD 2001.

Jack

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, well that worked out very cooly!

Cal Blacksmith has a B&O turntable and needs a cartridge for it! So I'll send him the one that came with my Thorens as a return favor for him building my PJ mount for me.

Is this Karmic or what?

M

Make sure Wayne's B&O can use that B&O cartridge first. I know that sounds kind of silly but B&O turntables/arms used a special proprietary cartridge mount unlike all other cartridges. The B&O cartridge that Michael has is a standard 1/2" mount cartrdige body that wouldn't work with most B&O turntable arms.

So Cal- WILL this cartridge work for you then? Let me know and I'll get 'er shipped out.

Well, B&O did make an adaptor to mount their carts in to mount to a standard arm. They did make 2 types of mounts that I know of. The one on my B&O table is the "normal" B&O mount which is to say a flat, inline plug that snaps onto the tone arm. The MMC4000 series is the normal series for my table. mmc4000.jpg

acording to the B&O website "The MMC4000 was renamed the MMC20EN

but was in most ways unchanged."

If it is a MMC 1 to 5 cart it will look like this

e9_1.JPG

I can't find a pic of the adaptor they made to put a X000 series cart on a standard TT.

If Michaels cart is indeed ONLY for mounting on a STANDARD tone arm, I have a Regga Planar 3 with a Grace 747 high compliance arm, the removeable headshell version of the 737 arm. (I think I have it right, I get those two mixed up, in any case the arm is VERY light and low mass so correct me if I am wrong) The current cart is a Grace 9F if that helps any of the TT Gurus here on the board.

Michael said this cart is the B&O MMC 20EN so it should work on the B&O table but if not, it will work on the Regga with the Grace arm.

Is this right? help from any Gurus is welcome.

Wayne,

Michaels cartridge definitley was not that standard B&O style you pictured above. That's why I brought it up. The only question now is if it was it was somehow fitted onto a special 1/2" mount that could be taken off. It did not look like it to me.

Sounds like you could use it on your other arm though.

I have a minty perfect MMC-2 if your friend is still needing... and wealthy!

The extremely rare and impossile to afford MMC-1 is really the same cartridge as the MMC-2, except as the 2's were manufactured B&O hand picked out a few super absolute perfect ones that exceeded some of the specs and called them 1's.

http://www.beoworld.co.uk/mmcpickups_1.htm

These carts are rare and valuable, I check prices periodically - but if you watch B&O tables on ebay you will see tables that include this cart from sellers who don't realize. I've seen tables with MMC2 on them priced to make it worth buying the set and ditching the table for the cart.

Sound Smith has a few NOS B&O MMC2 for $899, Alex Atelier has them for $799, LPGear is $799, Turntableneedles shows them for $1000, but they are out of stock.

Paul

I have a minty perfect MMC-2 if your friend is still needing... and wealthy!

The extremely rare and impossile to afford MMC-1 is really the same cartridge as the MMC-2, except as the 2's were manufactured B&O hand picked out a few super absolute perfect ones that exceeded some of the specs and called them 1's.

http://www.beoworld.co.uk/mmcpickups_1.htm

These carts are rare and valuable, I check prices periodically - but if you watch B&O tables on ebay you will see tables that include this cart from sellers who don't realize. I've seen tables with MMC2 on them priced to make it worth buying the set and ditching the table for the cart.

Sound Smith has a few NOS B&O MMC2 for $899, Alex Atelier has them for $799, LPGear is $799, Turntableneedles shows them for $1000, but they are out of stock.

Paul

That's always been the problem in looking for old B&O turntables. Iv'e had a couple of their lower end models. I thought they were great sounding as well as good looking tunrtables. Fun to work on too. But those damn cartridges.... made it not worth collecting the turntables for me.

Michael, yep I am still interested in it for my Regga. It

should be able to be mounted on the Grace arm.

Pauln, yes I know about what you are talking about with junk

tables selling with a cart for much less than what the cart will cost alone. I

have more than once thought of buying a second junk table for parts, esp, the

cart.

The series 1 to 5 carts were very good indeed. The 4000 isnt

a slouch either!

• 2 years later...

Hate to resurrect an old thread. Reading trough it again I am

struck by the thought that perhaps the old 1000uf 25v motor board

electrolytic caps were bad. Replacing them might have helped.

I have a Thorens TD-125 MKII I am restoring. Capacitor replacement

is on my to do list.

Scott got the speed stabilized, although I haven't the heart to run back into this thread to see if I posted that.

Which tonearm do you have, the Thorens one or another model?

I never got the two-channel room working. Bought a Sansui integrated amp that also needs major work. It keeps overheating and the volume and balance knob are scratchy, plus one channel keeps going out. It, the Thorens, an AH! cd player and MMF5 turntable sit gathering dust in my old photo gallery along with unloved Klipschorns, Jubilees that I've spent a whopping 15 mintues with, a pile of old receivers and Crown amps. I just gave up. I haven't set foot in that room in a couple of months.

Right now I'm listening to my old Technics Direct Drive model SL1700 through my main HT rig. It has the all-important-because-I-tend-to-walk-off semi-automatic feature.

I know you guys wouldn't approve. [:(] Sorry, I just got tired of fighting everything...

M