..to CD...or not cd?

Depending on your price range its' hard to beat the tubed output Jolida 100. I have one as does Duke Spinner. I think if you look hard you can find one on Audiogon.com for about $700 or new for $900. Bluesboy calls mine the best sounding cd player he has heard. I bought mine from Hotrodaudio.com and they threw in the mini mod (better tubes, sound deadning, iso feet) for free. I also hear good things about the Rega Apollo but have never heard one. Go to Stereophile.com and look up reviews under archives. The Jolida review sold me. Good luck!

Chuck

Congrats on the Belles and Macs for Christine. I am sure she will enjoy her gear as much as I have enjoyed my Belles (and Altecs) and various tubes.

I am fond of any of the tubed CD players, which use tubes in the output stage to attempt to cure CD digititus and make them sound more analog-like.

I run a Jolida JD100 modded by underwood hifi, and I have also known customers of stock Jolida JD100s that were also very happy with their CDPs. To my ears, non-tubed CD players sound dry and compressed with a smaller soundstage - and that applies to even some of the nicer decks I have heard. Again, in my opinion and to my ears.......

Additionally, the Super Njoe Tjoeb is another popular tubed-CDP in here, which also offers an upsampler. Look in the second page of two-channel for IB Slammin's recent review.

Carl.

P.S. [edit] too funny - I was typing a response about the Jolida just as Tarheel was typing his response about the same CDP. Apparently, he beat me by a few seconds though.......

Just went to Audiogon.com....There is a new Jolida mini mod by Underwood for $950 and two Rega Apollos for $745 and $749. If you are not familiar with that site just type in Audiogon.com and you will get to the home page. Click on digital players and scroll down to "classifieds". Wait a few days and you can probably pick up the Jolida at a good price. BTW it is built like a tank.

Good timing cjgeraci. Great minds think alike!

Chuck

If you haven't put CDs in your system yet, why start now? They've been around in the USA since 1983. It's now 2006.

Applying subtraction, we get:

2006 - 1983 = 23

If you haven't switched to CD in 23 years, I wouldn't bother to now. It's an old, dwindling format and there are new alternatives.

If you haven't put CDs in your system yet, why start now? They've been around in the USA since 1983. It's now 2006.

2006 - 1983 = 23

If you haven't switched to CD in 23 years, I wouldn't bother to now. It's an old, dwindling format and there are new alternatives.

He probably wants to add CDs back into the mix for the same reason that I enjoy CDs as well as nice vinyl.

Options.

So that when he finds pre-owned CDs at a flea market, a pawn shop, or [gasp] the internet, he can enjoy those as well as other formats (vinyl, RTR, SACD, DVD-Audio).

Its worthwhile so long as he makes an effort to do it the right way because CDs can also sound good. But it does take some effort. Why be limited?

Carl.

P.S. On the other hand, if Paul wants to start another thread addressing a topic that has been beaten to death (e.g. "CD v. Vinyl") - who are we to stop him?

2006 - 1983 = 23

I agree. I wish they would incorporate the chip storage technology they use in iPods into a component for 2-channel.

Why wouldn't you want CD's............Vinyl is dead as far as mass marketing goes.....For the sake of arguement........a CD can play 70+ minutes........Cd's are in just about every car now........there are many reasons to have CD's.........If they are such an old, dwindling Format they will be come much cheaper.........no one will want them......and I'll take 'em all, I'm tired of every time you turn around some new form of media takes over, just like SACD's, MP3's, just another way of suckin' your dollars............Cd's would probably make some nice tapes for your reel to reel.............Ah hell, what do I know?????

I am assembling a "vintage" tube system and was wondering about CDs. We have many vinyl records, most are on reel-to-reel ....but now the CD is a fact of life...

What CD player would you recommend for use in a MC-30, MX-110, Klipsch "Belle" environment ?

Your system has a striking similarity to mine (uhhhh - exactly the same components[:D]).

I selected the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 for my CD solution for my vintage system. It's a great way to "analog your CD's", and you can roll 6DJ8 family tubes through its output buffers to flavor to taste. It also has the upsampler upgrade option - yet another way to improve a good player and concept into a GREAT one. Many comment that it sounds like a 2K player when the upsampler is added - and it's worth every penny even when stock. It's a rare product that actually is worth what it costs in terms of sonics. It's a basic pickup and deck, but the "hot rodding" inside delivers the goods. Get 'em new at upscaleaudio.com, or used through the usual used audio sites (but they don't last long used). I've never regretted getting this player....and for our "vintage" concept, it's the perfect marriage of CD and vintage tube. It bridges those two concepts perfectly.

As high of a recommendation as I can give.....

I have a Heart 6000 CDP which I like alot.

After 15 years I got back into vinyl a couple months ago.

After listening to my first album I asked myself why did I ever buy 2000 cd's.

I now go back and forth between vinyl and cd's. Cd's are just easier when I want to hear music and am busy doing other things.

When I have time to sit and enjoy music I always go with vinyl first and if I want to hear something I don't have on vinyl I put on a cd, sit back and enjoy it also.

Good luck.

Danny

Seriously, I would not spend more than a few hundred.

If it is used, don't go too far back, current mid-priced DACs , transports etc are probably (not always) going to better than the older stuff.

Your speakers, set up & room are going to have much larger impact than an expensive CD player. Others will disagree, but messing around with CD players has relatively little effects. There are better targets to aim at.

-Tom

My Sony 777ES is still a keeper. I have an original Tjoeb player, and find the playback on the 777 to be more incisive and coherent. They can be found for around $1K, which I think is considered a bargain. Here's one currently listed on eBay,

13265A.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330037393488