My Jubilee adventure

dhtman

Seti.....75 percent of the music is coming out of our HF units.....are you sure you want to wager? All being equal we are useing electronic xovers & biamping or triamping. Yes I like the Jubilee But are you sure its the cats meowwww ???

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting, as I was really trying to slam on myself as being a snob, not others. Hopefully you're a bit tongue in cheek?

however, you're more than welcome to tote them on over if you wish [:D] This coming Saturday is bad because I've got 2 more folks coming over to give them a listen. Hopefully, they (or at least one of them) will give their thoughts when done.

In days gone by, didn't they use to race cars against each other and the 'prize' would be the title of the losers car handed over to the winner? Didn't they call that "bringing your pink slip"?

[6]

Seti.....75 percent of the music is coming out of our HF units.....are you sure you want to wager?  All being equal we are useing electronic xovers & biamping or triamping. Yes I like the Jubilee But are you sure its the cats meowwww ???

I'd wager just to hear both pairs of speakers ; )

Why would I make sutch a crazy challenge? The heart of the Juble system is its HF Driver & horn. I had a chance to borrow the driver from some one. compaired it on my mid horn. Its a great driver as well as others in there line up. but I thought mine was a bit cleaner..Not by mutch...just a tad... I also Know a better driver the Everest 476 is even better ( baste on the 2450) but a Be diaphram. I, ll get to hear that one on the JBL Everest II at the CES in Jan. That i understand is the real Kuhanna. The new mid driver JBL 476 goes for about $2500 each. How many should I bring back? Oh & i understand it has a terrific Xover.

Having heard Maron's Smith horns with his most excellent JBL drivers, my money would be on Maron's pair.

No disrespect intended to the Jubs. But, as Maron indicated - the Jubs may have a smoother bass bin than Maron's Klipschorns, but the deciding factor to my ears is going to be the upper end. I think Dean alluded to this in one of the many Jubilee worship threads when he questioned the wisdom of offering a consumer Jubilee with the ordinary K401/K77 on top.

Of course, I haven't heard the Jubs drivers and upper horns yet, but Maron's upper end is going to be tough to beat. Just stunning.

Carl.

Why would I make sutch a crazy challenge? The heart of the Juble system is its HF Driver & horn. I had a chance to borrow the driver from some one. compaired it on my mid horn. Its a great driver as well as others in there line up. but I thought mine was a bit cleaner..Not by mutch...just a tad... I also Know a better driver the Everest 476 is even better ( baste on the 2450) but a Be diaphram. I, ll get to hear that one on the JBL Everest II at the CES in Jan. That i understand is the real Kuhanna. The new mid driver JBL 476 goes for about $2500 each. How many should I bring back? Oh & i understand it has a terrific Xover.

Hi Maron

Well from what I've read from Roy's post I believe he feels the Jubilee Bass Horn is the Heart of the Jubilee Systems. I have stated before that I really like the K402/K69-A combination and it was very important to me to have that HF Section as part of my Jubilee System. I do believe there to be a real synergy with this combination.

With the above being said I will say when you consider that the KHJ is covering the range from approximately 500Hz(electrical crossover point in my system) down then basically all the fundamentals are reproduced by this Horn and I must say that my experience is that the KHJ Bass Horn has a very noticable improvement in quality and clarity when compared to the Khorn Bass Horn. I basically believe that the KHJ Bass Horn is such an advance that it is more likely that HF Horns/Drivers will see improvements long before there will be another significant advance over the KHJ.

What might be most interesting would be to hear your HF Section on the Jubilee Bass Horn versus the K402/K69-A.

edit: Actually I would be interested in hearing/experiencing other HF drivers on the K402 Horn because I really do believe the K402 is an excellent Horn in its own right!

mike tn

Mike....Yes i agree with the present 12" woofers the articulation of the KHJ have great clarity plus 5db at 40hz over the stock K bass bin BUT what i didnt mention to Carl when he auditioned the Khorn, was what was in the bass bin cabinet...No 33E but TAD 1601A woofers....If you cant afford these woofers...JBL earley 2205 woofers (5 ridge corrigation outer surround units) They have the fine definition needed to even come close to the Jubes. Without the saddle dip in the 300 to 500hz range....Ive been spooking this problem for years. I know only three other guys that have done the same thing. They have verified this modification by doing the same thing. That what you do in science. State your claim wright your paper...and let others verify ..If it cant be verified then withdraw. Whats so great about the Jubes is how great it is up to 1000hz (bass bin) That ide give my left eye for. I could care less for any thing under 35, 40hz....but i proved a point with a record of a Bosendorfer Imperial concert grand with 97 keys hitting its lowest note....frightning !!!

Mike....Yes i agree with the present 12" woofers the articulation of the KHJ have great clarity plus 5db at 40hz over the stock K bass bin BUT what i didnt mention to Carl when he auditioned the Khorn, was what was in the bass bin cabinet...No 33E but TAD 1601A woofers....If you cant afford these woofers...JBL earley 2205 woofers (5 ridge corrigation outer surround units) They have the fine definition needed to even come close to the Jubes. Without the saddle dip in the 300 to 500hz range....Ive been spooking this problem for years. I know only three other guys that have done the same thing. They have verified this modification by doing the same thing. That what you do in science. State your claim wright your paper...and let others verify ..If it cant be verified then withdraw. Whats so great about the Jubes is how great it is up to 1000hz (bass bin) That ide give my left eye for. I could care less for any thing under 35, 40hz....but i proved a point with a record of a Bosendorfer Imperial concert grand with 97 keys hitting its lowest note....frightning !!!

I would sure like to hear your system Maron but I doubt I will ever be out your direction.

So do I understand you are saying that the TAD woofers helps the dip in the 300 to 500Hz range of the Khorn?

I also know that the KHorn will respond well to a good PEQ Equalizer correction in this particular area of it's frequency range.

mike tn

You have to remember i,m triamping the whole setup. Dave ...Im in the process of finalizing the adapter between the baby Smiths & driver, Im trying to make that part as short as possible. Also Im trying to get that CD from Shwimmer the piano player. for you guys. He,s been out of town. & he don,t answere my email. I,ll keep trying. Also remember coupling the woofer direct to the amp I find better than having wire coils & oil caps in the way. Ive been triamping for over 25 yrs now. I dont think i.l ever go back to passive. ALK will starve waiting for me..... Bruce Edger says a JBL 130 woofer will work.... Not so... Wrong design outer surround & wrong Fs. Too high..

Mike....The TAD 1601a is very very simmiler to the early JBL 2205...Some times i wonder if TAD copied that woofer....The later 2205 were different cones were changed to a higher Fs more like the 2225 woofers & you cant find the earlier cone replacement...JBL only refers to 2225 replacement kit.

Maron I've got to get some sleep but maybe when you get the chance I would like to know more about your system. Like what kind of crossover/settings are you using and are you using any EQ and Time delay Adjustments?

I do find the ability to use Time Delay to adjust the LF/HF relative to each other within a defined time window to be important in the proper blending of the LF and HF Horns and the result is a smoother response with an increase in clarity and definition especially noticable on vocals in some recordings.

mike tn

I would sure like to hear your system Maron but I doubt I will ever be out your direction.

So do I understand you are saying that the TAD woofers helps the dip in the 300 to 500Hz range of the Khorn?

I also know that the KHorn will respond well to a good PEQ Equalizer correction in this particular area of it's frequency range.

This makes me very happy, my new smilinwalls have 2 TAD 1601A'a in each bass bin[6]

mike tn

I've just had an email from Klipsch in the Netherlands with an invoice. My Jubs will be there early next week so I've had my bank wire some Euros.

It's getting close. Anticipation and excitement rising! [:D]

d-soon-to-be-jub-man

let me know if there is anything i can help you with.

roy delgado

Roy ....any chance of putting a picture of the 12" woofer on this site? (front& back) Does it have corrigated or rubber surround? Is it deep dish or shallow cone.....Looking at TS what is the Fs & xmax ive lost my AES paper on it..... I think it has legs of its own & walked off.