Possible mods or recommended upgrades for my 25 year old Cornwalls

Other than the papercone deteriorating over time (still in decent condition), what other maintenance is required for these units?

I love the horns, but just like ID's (Image Dynamics), they are a PITA to tune, especially w/10 - 33 band EQ's. Any secrets you guys would like to share regarding tuning, and optimal performance. Yes, I know sound fields influence the settings, and this is just a generalized question, since I have been out of home audio for many years now.

I haven't really noticed any degradation in sound quality yet!

Thanks

The capacitors in the crossovers.

You can DIY if you get an upgrade kit, or the loose parts from an audio supply outlet.

Alternatively, there are folks who can perform the upgrade.

Welcome to the Madness. I'm a Yamaha/Cornwall guy too.

Most of us do at minimum a upgrade of the capacitors in the crossovers. The speaker drivers themselves don't age appreciably. Ah the beauty of Klipsch.

Now get some Heresy for surrounds! It's a great match-up

Michael

After getting new crossovers for my 1965's everything came into balance volume wise and the results were astounding. At high levels they do get a bit harsh---this means wall shaking volume. It also depends on how the source volume is on the cd itself as some of them have over a 10db difference causing the following typical settings:

Old Oak Ridge Boys, Willie Nelson--- -9.6

New John Fogarty--- -15.0

New Eagles double disc -18.0

JJK

Replace the caps. As the capacitors get old, they have an increase in resistance and cause the highs to roll off and attenuate, thus tipping the speakers' voicing towards a bass heavy "tubby" sound.

My '77 Cornwalls sounded mellower and mellower, then tubby until I replaced the caps in the crossovers (about a year ago). The tweeters lit up like fireflys and the balance of the speaker was back to excellent. It affected the mids too, but to a lesser degree.

Replacing the caps also gave my Cornwalls the ability to, once again, blare with that loud clean sound - the kind that makes one not want to get near the midrange during such crank sessions (this description sounds negative, but it is a positive... that sort of classic big Klipsch, cutting through the room with clean lifelike dynamics).

Except my new oil caps from Bob Crites, my Cornwalls are absolutely bone stock.

Andy

You need to determine which crossovers you have in the Cornwall. You say they are 25 years old which would put them in the early 80s if your age estimate is correct. You could have the type B, B-2 or B-3 crossovers depending on the exact year in the 80s.

Bob Crites

No problem, I'll pull the backs off tomorrow and investigate....but I believe I purchased them in 1980 - 1982 from Sound Studio (now belly up) in Salisbury, MD.

Thanks guys, I'll post back w/info. As for the Heresy's, my roommate back during my college days was so impressed w/my Cornwalls, he went and bought a pair of the Heresy's. I call them mini-cornwalls (lol). Funny thing is I fell in love w/Klipsch while attending a concert w/towers of Klipsch equipment. I mean I was deaf after 5 minutes, but didn't hurt my ears until afterwards. Just hard-hitting drivers, clean and tight w/pure sound pressure pushing me backwards. Now that is a true sign of GOOD speaker systems. Maybe someday I can get to HQ and visit the facility. The commercial equipment WAS, and I am sure still is, very impressive.

Hey, I'm a Cornwall/Yammie guy also! You have the classic Yamaha stuff...I have an HT receiver (RX-2500 I think). It has that YPAO in-room analyzer. It doesn't work all that well, so I have done some manual tweaking. The 2500 has a parametric EQ built in that has tamed some of the boom problem (no pun intended) I was having.

LMAO.... classic? How about historic? Some of the best equipment (including car audio) are older (non-mass produced) products like JBL (pre-Altec Lansing), and some of the home Cervwin-Vega products from the 70's. Not saying I would ever want to go back to tubes, but they do have their place also.

Between my graphic and parametric(pre-amp), I can pretty well control the system, but I have tweaked as much as possible, and feel I can still obtain more!

Not sure I actually (preferably) like the natural sound as opposed to other equipment I have used in the past, but almost absolute zero THD. I was mostly impressed with the specs, and w/processing I can overcome the sometimes (IMO) sterile sound.

WOW, I didn't realize that many people ran Yamaha equipment. In this elite crowd, I figured Harman, Mac, Denon and some of the more obscure/unknown hi-fi brands.

The "Y" in the serial number does in fact indicate manufacture in 1983.

The Type B2 crossover would require a 2 uF, a 3uF and a 20 uF cap to rebuild. 2 of each value for the pair. I could put you together a kit of caps for them or I could do the rebuild for you.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

Yeah, I like the K51-V. It is a ceramic magnet, dual phase plug version of the K55-V. They look nice too. Sonically better in practical applications? - as Bob Crites would probably say "not a dimes worth of difference." ....or was that PWK who originally said that?

Regarding neworks: Some like the simple slope B Network versus the B2 for low to moderate listening levels, but for loud levels and better tweeter protection the B2 seems to get the vote. I would probably just rebuild the B2's and be done with it. Leave 'em as designed.

Andy