A Series of Fortunate Events: Klipschorn and La Scala comparisons

marcophile

As my previous posts have noted, I am a long time Klipsch fan. I first heard a pair of La Scalas when I was 18 years old.....and I never forgot the impression they gave (or the ringing ear drums) In 2005, (25 years later) was able to procure a pair of 2004 La Scalas, with the newer AL-4 crossover, and delivered them to my music room. A wonderful reunion had been realized and life was good. However, like any curious soul, I couldn't keep from reading about comparisons by others regarding Klipschorns and La Scalas on this forum. Well, 2 months ago, fueled by forum opinions, I procured a set of 2000 Klipschorns, with the AK-3 crossover. This is the story of my listening experience between the two Heritage heavyweight contenders.

The setting:

The music room is 22x25. Acoustical tile ceiling is at 7-6. Full carpeting. Stuffed furniture, bookshelves, and four perfect corners. Horns were placed on the 22-0 wall, the La Scalas were placed just inside each Khorn, against the wall, toed in and raised one inch at the front edge. The listening chair was positioned 10-0 away from the wall....dead center.

The music reproduction pieces:

McIntosh MA-6500

Rega Apollo CD Player

Monster cable to all loudspeakers

The music: Various selections from "The Man from La Mancha"(1964 cast), The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Flamin' Groovies, The Clash, and The Sonics. The music was picked based on specific passages highlighting highs, base, and mids.The MA6500 is especially useful for comparisons because a switch on the remote allows the switching between one set, the other set, or both sets of loudspeakers...without moving my head/ears. Comparing two loudspeakers with comparable Db outputs makes volume adjustments a non issue.

The impressions:

I never thought I'd ever need another loudspeaker system after I bought the La Scalas. I was skeptical about the supposed base extension in the Khorn but ultimately coudn't dismiss all the fuss and accolades from this forum. Even without comparing the two speakers, the first listening of the Klipschorn produced an obvious difference of an extended bottom range but I could hear no memorable difference in the highs and mids. So I lined up the speakers....side by side....and fired away.

The base response isn't even close....the La Scala is a punch while the Klipschorn is an earthquake. It's unbelievable to hear the difference....switching back and forth....same music with such different results. I actually love the "in your face" punch delivered by La Scala...but for listenability and accuracy and all that other "audiophile" hoopla....hands down, the Khorn is a better machine. It simply sounds and feels better.

Now mids and highs were very interesting and I'm curious to know from other members if they have experienced similiar results. The AL-4 La Scala sounded a bit cloudy...like a veil or light cover had been placed over the drivers. The AK-3 Klipschorn was definitely more open and exposed. I'm wondering if the crossovers are causing this difference or perhaps slight variations in the drivers? I was very surprised to hear this based on the impressive looking stature of the AL-4 network when compared to the less complicated AK-3 set up. I expected both mid/high ends to sound absolutely identical. Also, I believe the AK-3 delivers slightly more mid range than the AL-4.(which I personally prefer) Although various pundits have defamed the squawker in various Heritage speakers as being too aggressive, please tell me about a electrically amplified music event at which the midrange sound doesn't make your ears bleed. It is this mid which makes the guitar scream and voices penetrate. I believe it is this very squawker which provides the stunning realism we all enjoy!

Conclusion:

Gotta love those Khorns! I have ideal corners and locations and I never would have guessed that the two Heritage lines could produce such different sound.

"Got Corners?" ...there is no question....

Nice post.

I believe the networks and/or components in those networks are definitely having some effect. The K mid/top end discharges above the furniture adding more reflections and audibility too.

I have done similar tests but not in a fair way. I have my Lascalas on a s/s amp, and the Ks on tube equipment.

I have a ton of respect for the LaScala even though the Khorn bass system eclipses it (I agree with you). With the right amp the Lascala is extremely pleasing and leaves me not wanting for much. The Lascala is also much more versatile in placement although it takes up more room.

I love them both and have the Ks in the basement livingroom with a cornwall center, and the Lascalas in a large adjoining empty master suite where I set up an HT with 3 LaScalas across the front, and Heresy rears and 2 Velodyne subs.

I can be in heaven listening to either system.

Interesting observations.

It sounds like the K-Horns were on-axis with the listeners (as they should be) . However, you said the LaScalas were "toed-in". Were they also on-axis with the listener. If they were not, then this could explain, in part, why the mids & highs sounded different. It may simply reflect the drop off when you go off-axis.

Although the speakers were near each other, there will still be some differences in the speaker/room interaction.

These two facts may add up to a difference that is possibly larger than the differences in crossovers.

I am glad you are enjoying the Klipschorns!

Good Luck,

-Tom

I believe 1 1/2 for the woofer, and 1 1/4 for the top section.

Edit: The fuses should be on the woofer access door in the jack plate. Unless there were multiple versions of the AK-3, the AK-3 board does not have any fuses on it, and neither does the woofer board (which is inside the hatch).

Thanks for the comparison. I'm sure it will be useful to many in the future. My Klipschorns and La Scala are older (1978 and 1973 respectively), but I was also surprised that the "top end" sounded different. It might partly be the upper-bass of the bass bin contributing to the smoother sound of the Klipschorn. All I remember from my comparison 18 months ago is that they were different and the Klipschorn was smoother, but only came up with this explanation later. I can't be sure the right frequency range is attributable for the difference in sound.

The La Scalas are great speakers. But when listening to properly setup Klipschorns, the La Scalas tend to fade into the background. I don't know why this is so. Because really, we should only expect a fuller bass sound with the Klipschorns and the same mids and highs as the LaScalas. The reality is totally different. The Klipschorn is a true high end loudspeaker.

marcophile,

Thanks for the review. I have been among those amazed that the Khorn is actually a significant step over the LaScala. The difference and improvement are more than I thought should be possible.

Colter,

Have you tried the Khorns with the BEC crossover? I don't know your listening habits, but polite levels with the type A in the Khorn are sweet.

marcophile,

Thanks for the review. I have been among those amazed that the Khorn is actually a significant step over the LaScala. The difference and improvement are more than I thought should be possible.

Colter,

Have you tried the Khorns with the BEC crossover? I don't know your listening habits, but polite levels with the type A in the Khorn are sweet.

That might be a good swap. I'm using the Khorns for moderate levels of Jazz in the gallery. The LS are my mains in the ROCK and HT room. They might benefit from a steeper network. Good call DD!