My RF-7's are here, but UPS hurt them.

Fyre_Junkee

Since I kind of Hijacked my own thread earlier, I'll repost my problem in a new thread. If this is the wrong place for this discussion, please feel free to move it to the right forum. UPS damaged the speakers in shipment, breaking the foot off of one, and

denting and scratching both cabinets. They didn't hurt any of the drivers themselves, just the cabinets. Does anyone have any

suggestions as to what I should do as far as fixing or rebuilding the

cabinets? I want to get estimates for use in the claim process against

UPS.

Fortunately, it didn't hurt the sound any, as near as I can tell. They sound awesome.

Thanks,

Wayne

I have heard some really bad horror stories about them and responsibility. Sounds to me like they were not packed too well. The feet are really suceptible to breakage. I would have thought the feet would have been removed for shipping.

This didn't help you, I'm sure, as it still sound like UPS screwed up. Perhaps they can pay for the repair, if they can be. If not perhaps you can place the one that is damaged furtherest away from sight. I know you can get replacement feet from Klipsch.

That's a real bummer,I've sent big reference all across the country UPS never a problem.I've even been told the boxes still looked like new.I just sent a set of 83's and a 64 from IN to ID,arrived like new.I often hear these stories of UPS but I've never had one issue in many years,it's all about the packing/er.

ironically, When i got my RF7s over Motor Freight, the boxes were in terrible shape, with gouges and all sorts of damage on the outside.... thats right Motor Freight. The only damange was to one of the speaker grilles that the dealer replaced, and fortuntaely the speakers werent damaged. I havent had a problem with UPS/Fedex yet, but i did with the delivery service tahts supposed to be good at delivering stuff with care, so there are no garantees, and UPS is no better or worse than anyone else.

They were packed in the original boxes, the same way Klipsch sends them out from the factory. (Unless they ship them without feet) Otherwise, in the plastic bag, with the foam on the top and bottom, the grille in a box, and the cardboard corners. Should have been good enough.

Oh well..

WW

I get alot of good by UPS and I never had any problems.

It is also true to say the RF7's packaging was far from stellar,I was surprised how poorly these near 100lbs/per speaker were packed.

In the subwoofer world you have SUnfire,the packing istinks and major damage becomes a reality as soon as rough handling is the norm.

Shipping is a risk. When you ship, you take - and accept - the risk.

No matter how much you insure the item for, it is likely that you will never see full reimbursement of your losses. And it really doesn't matter if it's Ungainly Package Smashers or FedUp, your unit is at risk no matter what company you go with.

I observed FedUp's smashing of a friend's VRD power amplifier (and if you have ever seen a VRD in original packing, you would know that it is hard to damage). They basically dropped it so hard that the transformers and top deck were forced down into the base, smashing that base. A basically new VRD worth $1400 was worth only $400 to FedUp. It's a good thing that Craig is a good craftsman - he rebuilt it to look like new, but it put all of us through a whole lotta BS.

UPS is worse/more difficult to get money from on claims.

The biggest detriment to the audio hobby (for me) is the shippers. I have a fair amount of rare/collectible tube gear, and servicing it requires the expertise of those distant from me. These days, I don't ship this stuff for service: I keep "backup" components I can roll in if a component fails - then that component that needs service sits here until I can arrange SAFE delivery to my techs in question. My components no longer get shipped through these so-called "couriers". If people could see how these couriers handle packages, they would NEVER ship through these companies. For lightweight, less expensive stuff - OK. A 1958 McIntosh MC-30 power amplifier? NO FREAKING WAY. I'll deliver myself if I have to.

"What the world needs is a courier who doesn't break stuff". I wish there was such a courier who offered special handling for expensive/fragile items.....because the shippers are hazardous to the enjoyment of my audio hobby. They are the only thing that really "gets in the way".

I bought four new (in original packaging) RB75's on ebay about 6 months ago. They were shipped to me UPS Ground. When they arrived there was this horrible clunking noise coming from two of the boxes when the were moved. Sure enough, the heavy compression drivers were totally broken off of the back of the plastic horns on two of the speakers. They were being suspended by only the wiring to the crossover. Luckily, my ebay seller was a stand-up guy (gal). She sent me two new RB75's Fedex overnight at her expense, and had Fedex pick up the two broken RB75's to return to her. She told me that SHE would deal with UPS.

Good luck with your RF7's . . .

Dave

I am the one that got Fish's RF83/64 and they arrived without a scratch. I have had very good luck, I have had Lascala's, Heresy's and Cornwalls shipped to me in Alaska and never had any problems. I guess I just need to count myself lucky. It seems insurance and warranty's don't mean much anymore. damn shame. I hope it works out for you.

Too many frustrated retards work in shipping.They are paid to deliver goods in the best possible way.And yet they sometimes make sure whatever is in the box gets damaged!

This is the main reason I HATE SHOPPING ONLINE for anything expensive and audio related. Online shopping will never take the place of a good safe audio shop for me.

Hmmm...

Only had one damage problem from FedEx and they took care of it. Mind you, it took 3 months of prodding and 2 inspectors on site to figure it out...but they finally paid it. It was over $4 grand but they reimbursed for the shipping, return shipping and the price paid for the item. One day a check from FedEx arrived and voila!

I'm just trying to say don't be too negative about it. Give it a try and you may luck out. :)

There are some carriers that specialize in transportation of electronics and high-value items. Most folks and businesses would be willing to pay extra to insure that there was no damage and/or would be willing to wait a few extra days for slower transport by dedicated truck. But these carriers can be hard to find.

It would seem to me that there is a clear opportunity for dedicated carriers to carve out a pretty good niche for themselves with as much activity as there is in these markets.

As far as UPS/FedEx damage is concerned, I think it often traces back to individual centers and how well they are run, or to specific individuals who don't care or are malicious. Many folks seem to have very good luck consistently, while others seem to have consistently bad luck, so you look for the common denominator.

I work in telecommunications and we ship very expensive electronic equipment with carriers. Some of our vendors have started attaching devices to their containers that give a visual indication if the package has been subjected to g-force beyond a threshold level. The carrier acknowledges the condition of the device when they pick up the package. The receiving party then rejects receipt of the shipment if such an indicator is present when received, with the carrier held responsible. Seems like a good protocol to use for high end gear.